Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

call from "unrecognized" local number

Options
  • 17-07-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

this seems the best place for this but feel free to move if needed.

i got a call today from a local carlow number with the prefix 059 91***** and i missed the call as i was out so later i tried to ring the number but got a voice message telling me "the number you have dialled is not recognized"!

has anyone come across this before? does anyone know why this number which was used to ring me earlier is now unavailable/unrecognized? it is like the number was activated to make the call then disconnected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Thats odd tried calling with a landline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Telemarketing companies often use outgoing numbers that are not reachable if you call them. I know Sky have done this in the past, as do BT, have tried ringing the number on the ID display from both of these and neither worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes i was thinking some marketing call but then it is coming from a "local" number which i thought odd as usually telemarketing would use Dublin numbers or they sometimes hide their number? have not tried ringing from a landline that will be my next move, some numbers can have calls from mobiles barred!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Companies with many lines route calls through an exchange and that number is dispalyed on the receiving phone - that number is not necessarily a valid number in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Google the number, see if anything comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Could be an extension from a business number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

LolaDub wrote: »
    Could be an extension from a business number?

Agreed, companies buy multiple numbers for their exchange. The numbers appear but you cant ring them back..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Agreed, companies buy multiple numbers for their exchange. The numbers appear but you cant ring them back..

Try replacing the last 3 digits with 000, see if that works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's probably from a Call Centre based in Carlow - Health Insurance, Utilities???

Advertisement