Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting it all together

Options
  • 17-07-2008 11:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got my new frame through the post yesterday, bought it on ebay from the states. This will be the first bike I've ever built from scratch.

Its a Guru Racelite frame, aluminium with Carbon forks. Considering I paid €130 I am quite happy. Its in perfect nick. I even got handlebars and a saddle post thrown in which was nice.

Unfortunatly I had to abandon any hope of reusing any parts from my old steel frame racing bike,(its now going to go to herself) so I went cheap and cheerful and bought a Shimano Sora Groupset from hollingsworth and a set of Shimano wheels from wiggle.co.uk.

I should have everything ready to put together on Monday.

Any advice or lessons learned that people might think are helpful? Anyone know any good web resources for bike maintenance in case I get stuck with anything?

Cheers
    Brian

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

check this website
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/index.asp

get yourself all tools you will need and good luck!

they say it's easy but it's not as easy at it seems, never did it myself but was watching closely how bike was put together and realized that I know so little bout it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

The carpenters rule, Measure twice cut once.

-Handlebar tape, work from the bottom up.
    -Position breaks before putting on the above.
    -Cable housing, neat but not too tight, God knows how many times I cut this too short.
    -laytex gloves
    -Post before and after pictures.
    -Parktools or sheldon brown websites
    -Enjoy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hungrycol wrote: »
    laytex gloves

Just curious Hungrycol,
    why the gloves?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hermy wrote: »
    Just curious Hungrycol,
    why the gloves?
    Twofold:
    Stops you getting grease and crud under your nails
    Offers a little extra protection - I've found that it stops those mystery cuts which you don't feel at the time but suddenly appear five hours later when you're taking a shower.

seamus wrote: »
    Twofold:
    Offers a little extra protection - I've found that it stops those mystery cuts which you don't feel at the time but suddenly appear five hours later when you're taking a shower.

They're all the rage in garages now where I suppose there is the risk of coming into contact with corrosive substances but I never bother with them myself whether fixing the car or the bike. Just scrub with Bardahl or some other suitable hand cleaner.
    And yes, regarding those cuts - I've heard them referred to as chip bag cuts - you don't they're there till you reach into a salty bag of chips!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

seamus wrote: »
    Twofold:

Exactly... It also gets into your pores and I all the scrubbing makes your hands feel like they've had a had a acid bath, at least mind do.

It was probably silly of me to ask but was just curious as I don't bother with them myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cheers for the advice lads.

I think this is going to be valuable as well.......

http://bicycletutor.com/

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement