Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test Tomorrow

Options
  • 17-07-2008 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Test tomorrow with SGS in Kilkenny, at 10:45, not a bad time, town will be quite enough.

Wish me luck!

I'll post up the result as soon as I'm back, hopefully in the Successful thread.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Best of Luck. Just stay calm and give it your all. Hope to see you posting in the successful thread tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Best of luck
    Remember, dont give up even if you think you have failed during the test. It is not over till you get out of the car. They usually give you a bit of grace at the beginning to get over the initial nerves.

If you stall, don't panic, recover calmly and safely as you were taught and carry on.

Get there a bit early to familiarise yourself with the exits and obstacles so you dont get too flustered first thing looking for them.
    Park (legally) somewhere easy to get out of.
    Seatbelt checks and door checks, safety checks before starting the engine, then off you go smoothly.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Just back from the test, Didn't pass, shame really, Only got a couple of blues and greens, but then one lovely looking pink. For driving too close to stationary vehicles, all I can do is apply again, and watch out for them parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TheElf wrote: »
    Just back from the test, Didn't pass, shame really, Only got a couple of blues and greens, but then one lovely looking pink. For driving too close to stationary vehicles, all I can do is apply again, and watch out for them parked cars.
    Hard luck TheElf. :( I'm sure you'll get it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Hard luck. I had that problem, until my instructor told me to signal and move over to the other side of the road if I have to (when clear). It's best to give 1 car doors width when passing parked cars. You can go slightly closer if theirs oncoming traffic, but you have to display you acknowledge the obstacle and you're giving appropriate spacing between you and it.

• Advertisement

It's a shame really, I think the part that got me was, there's one stretch of road in kilkenny, down by the castle where people park along the footh path, so to pass the cars you have to move over to the other side of the road, And there was about 20 cars there today, I remember saying to myself am I out far enough?, guess I wasn't, Apart from that I'm happy enough with the test, only blues for reaction and speed in traffic concitions. Just reapply, might get lucky with another cancellation, and go again!

It's like a catch 22 situation. You want to maintain a safe distance to the parked cars, but you don't want to obstruct oncoming traffic.

Exactly, and with this road there is a bend at the top, so you have to pull in a bit incase theres oncoming traffic, I should of done better, but there's always next time. I have an abccessed tooth aswell, which has my jaw the size of a tennis ball, that didn't help my concentration during the test, I've applied again so hopefully I'll get luck with a cancellation again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,174 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

macroman wrote: »
    It's like a catch 22 situation. You want to maintain a safe distance to the parked cars, but you don't want to obstruct oncoming traffic.

It's an impossible situation sometimes in fairness, I know some of the roads around me cars park on both sides of the road, its just about possible to leave a gap of an inch from the parked cars mirror to allow flow in both lanes of traffic.

Harsh way to fail, unlucky mate.

Just applied again, Hopefully it will go better this time, have luck on MY side this time!
    I'm going to do a lesson in the next few days and bring my test sheet with me, see what the instructor says, then do a couple more before the test.

This circle of lessons and tests has me broke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

gah same thing my driving instructor gets on to me about. you don't wanna cross a continuous white line but sometimes you have to just not hit a car. my instructor says thats ok if you can clearly see no on coming traffic and you really need to. is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

gah same thing my driving instructor gets on to me about. you don't wanna cross a continuous white line but sometimes you have to just not hit a car. my instructor says thats ok if you can clearly see no on coming traffic and you really need to. is that right?

Well if there's an obstruction, whether it be a parked car or cyclist for example, you would be expected to over-take, even if it means crossing the white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

okay thanks for that :)

Remember to signal, and give enough clearance to the parked car/obstruction. I was told also if there's parked cars either side to continue in the middle of the road until it's safe and convenient to pull onto my own side.

Advertisement