Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ever big fat chewy choc-chip cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I've made this recipe using all three types of sugar! Caster gives a paler cookie and more cakey. Granulated is more lumpy and visible, and pale like caster too. Golden brown is slightly darker and chewier, and dark brown is best for chewy golden cookie yumminess.

But you can make them with any type, just slightly different texture/looks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Just made these and they are fabulous. Put M+M's into them but they sunk ah well. Will try just sticking them in when they come out of the oven. Reduced the sugar as per reviews fro previous posters, delish. Second batch of batter now chilling for round two, Yippeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Making these tomorrow :)

Is it the original recipe that everyone's reducing the sugar in? A lot of people using 220g of sugar but the recipe says 220g brown and 100g white sugar. What proportions are you all using?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I use 240g total sugar. The split is up to you, the higher rate of brown sugar the more darker, caramel-ish the taste. I'd do about 50g brown, 190g white.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tried OP's recipe this weekend. I used about 2/3 chocolate chips and 1/3 fudge chips. Fudge chips are, of course, a rip off but I was feeling lazy (yes indeed, too lazy to chop a few fudge sweets into chunks!). Best cookies I've made, this could become a regular thing :) I overcooked the first few, they were veeery crunchy/hard, but by day 2 they were perfect. The main batch was gorgeous. Don't be afraid to take these out of the oven while they still feel and look very soft. Thanks OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Oh wow - these sound great! I feel a baking session coming on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Man, I cannot believe this thread is 7 years old! I've a big chunk of this cookie dough in the oven now in a pie dish to be devoured by us with scoops of vanilla ice cream in the middle.

nxUrWQ4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Man, I cannot believe this thread is 7 years old! I've a big chunk of this cookie dough in the oven now in a pie dish to be devoured by us with scoops of vanilla ice cream in the middle.

nxUrWQ4.png

Van I ask you what recipie you used as a lot of suggestions have made since the original post and I'm hoping to make them today

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Van I ask you what recipie you used as a lot of suggestions have made since the original post and I'm hoping to make them today

It's the link in the first post. My tip, after making these more times than I can count is:

If you use melted butter like the recipe states, put the mixture in the fridge for 30 mins before scooping into cookie portions. Alternatively, use cold butter and use a food processor to cream the butter and sugar well. I also reduce the sugar by about 10-20%, and add a drop of vanilla essence :)

Faith wrote: »
    It's the link in the first post. My tip, after making these more times than I can count is:

If you use melted butter like the recipe states, put the mixture in the fridge for 30 mins before scooping into cookie portions. Alternatively, use cold butter and use a food processor to cream the butter and sugar well. I also reduce the sugar by about 10-20%, and add a drop of vanilla essence :)

Thanks a million. Going to make first thing in the morning for friends calling for a cuppa tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I have a roll of the dough in my freezer, we cut 3 slices off, made that into 6 little rough balls of frozen dough. Ate one of them frozen and raw, couldn't restrain myself. Ended up with itty bitty ice cream sandwiches for an impromptu post-supper dessert

fuTicI7.jpg

Made these again this morning. They've become a weekly bake and they are so easy and tasty.
    Thanks for the recipie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Wow, I was delighted to find this recipe and it turned out amazing, I can't believe it! I followed the OP's recipe but as others have said, reduce the sugar as they're incredibly sweet!!

GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR: I'm coeliac so used Asda's own brand of gluten-free flour.

CHOCOLATE: I used one packet of Dr Oetker milk chocolate chips. Will try Galaxy Smooth Milk the next time (not gluten-free as such but I've been chancing it for years without any problem)

Thank you OP! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've made these several times and they really are the best!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Me too, and I'm delighted they've been bumped because I haven't made them in ages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

These sound amazing but does anyone want to de-americanise this recipe for me?
    Baking Soda - that's just baking powder right?
    What the freakin hell is unsalted butter? Do I use margarine?
    Is white sugar just caster sugar or granulated?

Mollyb60 wrote: »

I used normal butter (which is salted) and didn't use salt!

They're very, very sweet so definitely cut back on the sugar!

Baking soda is bicarbonate of soda.

Unsalted butter you can buy in any supermarket. I just used salted butter.

White sugar is either caster or granulated. I would use caster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Still making these many years later! I've found there's a lot to be said for the type of chocolate used. I use a mix of dark and milk chocolate (usually from Aldi or Lidl), and chop the chocolate. That way I get some bigger chunks and some almost shavings like consistency, goes together lovely in the final cookie. I find the prepacked chocolate chips just too small, and some are more of that "baking chocolate" type product, which just doesn't cut it for me!

Thanks for the help guys! Gonna try these this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gonna make this recipe later in the week when I get some chocolate. Is it one for a stand mixer or easily just done by hand. Also plan to freeze half the dough, whats the best way to go about this, just freeze as one big lump or portion it out then freeze it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Haven't made this dough but i always portion and freeze. And write cooking instructions on the bag :)

I used a stand mixer for most but mixed the chocolate chips in by hand as it had gotten pretty thick by that stage. Halved the amount of brown sugar and it was still quite sweet. A total success though, they were amazing. My husband was delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If it’s chewy you’re after then I use this slow cooker recipe sometimes.

Four hours on low leaves it just right. :)

https://thestayathomechef.com/slow-cooker-chocolate-chip-cookie-bars/

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Gonna make this recipe later in the week when I get some chocolate. Is it one for a stand mixer or easily just done by hand. Also plan to freeze half the dough, whats the best way to go about this, just freeze as one big lump or portion it out then freeze it?

I easily made it by hand (had melted the butter per recipe).

Don't cut back too much on the sugar or it can taste like queen cakes! :O

I tried them with chopped up Cadbury Caramel and it was really nice too! I think it's about finding the right chocolate like a previous poster said.

I easily made it by hand (had melted the butter per recipe).

Don't cut back too much on the sugar or it can taste like queen cakes! :O

I tried them with chopped up Cadbury Caramel and it was really nice too! I think it's about finding the right chocolate like a previous poster said.

Excellent idea! I used Cadburys buttons which were lovely but I'm trying this next!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

good idea on the caramel, will be trying that.

Excellent idea! I used Cadburys buttons which were lovely but I'm trying this next!

Oh Cadbury nibbles would be nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Has anyone got measurements for these cookies? I don't have measurement cups and promised my daughter we'd do some baking today. Thanks!

• Advertisement

now online wrote: »
    Has anyone got measurements for these cookies? I don't have measurement cups and promised my daughter we'd do some baking today. Thanks!

Do you have a measuring jug? If yes take a close look at it. Cups are usually listed on them. You can use that to measure out your flour and sugar.

Advertisement