Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giovanni dos Santos

Options
  • 18-07-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Is anyone as excited as me about this outstanding talent we have just signed?

I reckon he could have the same influence, if not more, as Rooney did in his first season in the PL.

This guy looks incredible from what I have seen. If he settles in London and with Spurs, we could have an amazing player on our hands. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Is anyone as excited as me about this outstanding talent we have just signed?

I reckon he could have the same influence, if not more, as Rooney did in his first season in the PL.

This guy looks incredible from what I have seen. If he settles in London and with Spurs, we could have an amazing player on our hands. :)

Looks the business alright but how he settles at the club and off the pitch will determine how well he does for us in the long run.
    I'm not expecting to start that often and think most of his game time will be as a substitute this coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If he's so good (I've never seen him play) then it kind of raises eyebrows why Barca got rid of him. You don't just sell a young emerging talent like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

He's awfully wasteful with the ball and far too greedy. He wasn't good enough to play in the Barca first team but was demanding more first team football. They wanted to send him out on loan for the upcoming season but he either wanted to play or be transfered so they got rid of him.

He's decent but he's not amazing. He's also a bit temperamental, that may just be down to him being young still but I think he felt he was playing in Messi and Bojan's shadow. Those two are loved by the Barca fans and he wasn't because he never really did anything on the pitch to show he was good enough to be there.

His representatives (father and uncle I think) are also clowns. They kept demanding better contracts for him and Barca just got tired of them in the end. Guillem Balague said at the very beginning of last season that Bojan was Barcelona's big prospect and that they would sell Dos Santos because they didn't rate him that highly. Rijkaard did play him a fair bit but he never made any real impact. His hat trick in the last game of the season was merely a consolation because I think he had only scored once before that (possibly twice).

edit Looking at that video it shows he has talent but it doesn't show him against any great teams. It's all either youth team football for Barca or internationals for Mexico against powerhouses of world football such as Jamaica.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Thanks Makaveli I understand more now. And they way you've explained it I don't blame Barca for booting him out the door. He thought he was as good or better then Bojan and Messi then he's nuts because very few are better then those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well I wouldn't say he thought he was as good as them just that he was in their shadow because they are both young and more highly rated. It was a bit unfair on the lad because there was some serious hype and pressue put on him, touted as the next wonder kid and when he did break into the first team his performances didn't live up to expectations, where as Messi and Bojan both impressed from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Beleive me, if he were that good, there is no way Barca would have let him go - plus no other Spanish clubs were in for him - does anyone not find that strange?

Advertisement