Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why??

• 18-07-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

what the hell is the storey with the exams been after xmas??? its pure stupid! why arent they before xmas?same with repeats im going into 2nd year now in tallght used to be in ucd and xmas exams are before xmas and repeats are carried on til xmas aswell much better and more practical this way,thankfully ive passed everything but ive a holiday booked for the end of august and had i not passed something it would have f/cked up my holiday plans! anyone want to enlighten me on why things are so backward in the college..dont get me wrong i do like it tallaght good social life and that but at times i think the college is backward :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I liked being able able to use some of my Christmas holidays to study. Why are you so backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

i think hitting the books on the 26th is great.. i think it makes you think how great and planned the admin staff of tallaght IT are.. i had 5 years of tallaght it exams starting around the 7th of jan... now thats a christmas and new year..

People bash the system up there but the college does things for a reason... they used to have the jan exams later in the months then started getting nearer and nearer to jan 1st...

study needs to be started in early december, but when you have not even finished lectures till mid dec its hard... but anyway... you will look back :o
    and love it...

oh whens the bar opening.. and when is graduation:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I'm heading into fourth year now and I prefer having the exams after Christmas, it gives the opportunity to study and then you get the three or so weeks after the exams to chillout and not hink about anything.

The repeats are generally about that time of the year in most college's and we get our results earlier than most college's. I have friends in Galway, Carlow, Trinity, Maynooth etc and I was the first of everyone to get the exam results. The repeat are set out at the start of the year, so you are aware when booking your holiday that if you fail something you will be repeating in that time space.

Just book your holiday in the first week of September or which ever, and keep the last two weeks of August free! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

scruff321 wrote: »
    ive a holiday booked for the end of august and had i not passed something it would have f/cked up my holiday plans! anyone want to enlighten me on why things are so backward in the college..dont get me wrong i do like it tallaght good social life and that but at times i think the college is backward :rolleyes:

Such a pity your academic life is impinging upon your personal life.

There have been a number of threads on this already. It has been looked into, and from a scheduling perspective, is simply not possible. If the exams were before Christmas, that would mean the semester would have to end in November, which means it would have to start in early September, which would impact the CAO admissions for the college, and so on.

I work in another Institute of Technology now, and it is no different - exams start in early January.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    If the exams were before Christmas, that would mean the semester would have to end in November, which means it would have to start in early September, which would impact the CAO admissions for the college, and so on.

What do we do that if so fundamentally different to other colleges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Zillah wrote: »
    What do we do that if so fundamentally different to other colleges?
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I work in another Institute of Technology now, and it is no different - exams start in early January.

Not sure I understand the question?:confused:

UCD, for example, have pre-Christmas exams. Clearly post-Christmas exams are not a fundamental factor in the universe. What is it that we do that makes pre-Christmas exams "simply not possible", as you put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Semesterisation is the answer there as opposed to terms

You need to have a certain amount of weeks teaching, and to fit them in before Christmas means an early start in September as compared to the term based courses in the uni's.

It means the exams are in January, but to bring them forward would mean starting classes barely after the cut off for course acceptance with the CAO which has been looked at and is practically impossible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

It might also be valid to note that the exams we sit at Christmas make up 50% of our overall G.P.A for the year, while in a number of other colleges the exams they sit before Christmas do not have such a large impact in the end of year grade, therefore the exams before Christmas are not treated with as much importance as the ones at the end of the year, while in Tallaght our exmas at the end of each semester are equally important.

I could be wrong in this but it is my own opinion. :)

Advertisement