Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble connecting to Xbox live

• 18-07-2008 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭

I have looked at loads of tutorials etc and i can't seem to find what i should be doing or if i can at all do what i am trying.

Just got an xbox and trying to connect to live.

I have a ethernet cable that goes directly into the back of my computer. I have to take this connection and put it into the back of the xbox(no wireless connecton on desktop). This means i have no internet on the computer once i do this.

The xbox connects ok but the ip address fails ?

Can someone help me out or point me in the direction of a guide for this please ?

Thanks

Opr

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Why do you have to use the same cable, didnt your xbox come with a cable and cant you plug that into your router? have a look here as regards some issues you might be having with portforwarding, look for your make of router and then on the list of applications xbox live.
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Axwell wrote: »
    Why do you have to use the same cable, didnt your xbox come with a cable and cant you plug that into your router? have a look here as regards some issues you might be having with portforwarding, look for your make of router and then on the list of applications xbox live.
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

The xbox did come with the cable but i only have a box with a connection going to the antenna outside and a connection from the box to the computer.

I can't make a second connection as this box only has the one connection hence why i have to unplug the connection from my computer to plug it into the xbox

Edit - i presume this means i don't have a router.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

opr wrote: »
    The xbox did come with the cable but i only have a box with a connection going to the antenna outside and a connection from the box to the computer.

I can't make a second connection as this box only has the one connection hence why i have to unplug the connection from my computer to plug it into the xbox

Opr

Not sure how to fix the ip address proplem, but you can use ICS to hook your xbox to your pc and that to the internet. That way you dont need to plug out your pc's connection everytime. You will need another ethernet cable though.

EDIT: Scratch that, your pc has to have wireless for that to work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Not sure how to fix the ip address proplem, but you can use ICS to hook your xbox to your pc and that to the internet. That way you dont need to plug out your pc's connection everytime. You will need another ethernet cable though.

EDIT: Scratch that, your pc has to have wireless for that to work.

You need two network cards so not an option. Is your ip address static? If it is go into the system blade and set the ip address and subnet mask in there to what they should be instead of using automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 T-max

opr wrote: »

Opr

You could add in a Belkin Router unit (They are about 56e) which will give you 4 ethernet ports allowing you to plug in x-box and PC at same time.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys i went with the router idea as it makes sense since i use the net connection loads and often in a few different rooms. Working perfectly.

Xbox store sucks !

Opr

I am trying to setup the xbox to stream stuff from my PC.

It is connecting to live no problem. Both machines are connected through a router.

I am using WM11 when i click on sharing. Its shows my xbox 360 here so i just click on it and hit allow sharing.

When i go to computer in the media section of the xbox the computer says - FAILED.

Anyone suggest anything else i need to do please ?

Thanks
    Opr

I got this sorted i did the port forwarding thing on my router and this seems to have sorted it.

Opr

Advertisement