Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another grant question

• 18-07-2008 2:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭

This is my first time applying for student grants. I am entering my final year in UCD studying Computer Science. I live at home in Firhouse, but have lived in Lucan with friends for the previous year. I'm 24, and have worked full-time for the last year and part-time for the 5 years before that. Parents make ~50k-ish combined.

Just wondering whether I'll be assessed on the basis of parental income or my own when applying for grants, or really whether I'd get anything at all.

Comments

This is my first time applying for student grants. I am entering my final year in UCD studying Computer Science. I live at home in Firhouse, but have lived in Lucan with friends for the previous year. I'm 24, and have worked full-time for the last year and part-time for the 5 years before that. Parents make ~50k-ish combined.

Just wondering whether I'll be assessed on the basis of parental income or my own when applying for grants, or really whether I'd get anything at all.

Hi rainbow kirby,

Apologies for taking a good while to answer your query, I got caught up in real life stuff and have only really found time to answer now. To answer your question if you are in final year you would be put in a category based on when you entered college, so you would be assessed on both your income in the 2007 tax year and your parents' income too (plus your spouse if you're that way inclined!). There are plans for under 23s to be assessed on their own income over, I think, 3 years or so which might benefit people in your situation in the future but at the moment you would be assessed under both your and your parents' income.

It's worth remember that there are other areas of support available, and for final year in particular if you are finding times tough you should consider the Student Assistance Fund which I think there was a recent thread on in the UCD forum in fact (I think Stepheroony (?) gave UCD specific information on where to apply for it).

Hope final year goes OK.

Dónal / Myth

Advertisement