Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 carseats in the back?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I too was in the same boat and the short answer is I couldn't find a reasonably priced car that would physically take three car seats straight in the back. You'll have to start looking at 7 seaters or a dedicated 6 seater. (e.g.the Fiat Multipla or Honda FRV).

Now be warned people will tell you that you'll definitely get three kiddie seat in the back of a <insert_their_saloon_car> - but when you try your combination of seats it probably won't work.

Start looking at 7 seaters, beside the car seats you'll need the extra space with all the stuff you'll be carrying.

FWIW We ended up buying a Honda Stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the_manchine

biko wrote: »

Thanks - I'd only searched this forum :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I changed an 06 Passat for a new VW Touran for this reason, 3 child seats would fit in the Passat, but getting them in was a real pain. The three seats fit nicely beside each other in the Touran, and access to the seat belts is a cinch. We also have the added benefit of the extra 2 seats in the rear if / when we need them. The boot is bigger and more practical than the Passat was and the Touran is also a foot shorter than the Passat.

If you were thinking of a second hand Touran, just make shure it has the seven seats as there was also a five seat version for a few years. They have been around since 2003.

It is a nice enough car to drive and parking is no harder than a Golf or similar.

Best advice would be to make a list of the things you really need in a car, check some of the car mag websites for test reports and stats to see what fits and then try out a few cars for yourself to see what you like.

www.autoexpress.co.uk
    www.autocar.co.uk
    www.carzone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Neighbour of mine was in the same dilemna.
    He went and measured up lots of models and came up with a Citreon Picasso.
    3 seats no problem ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

It really depends on your child seats and on the rear setup of the car. Some wide cars have 2 large seats and a tiny central one that sits much higher & is very difficult to close a seat-belt on.

We managed to squeeze 3 kids in my Alfa 156 until we changed the wifes car for a Volvo V70 (very wide but still 2+1 rather than 3 seats).

We've hired Ford C-max and Zafiras while on holidays & these are very manageable because you can move each seat independently - better access to belts. Brother has a Multipla and (while it is no doubt the most pantomime-ugly thing on the road) its fantastic inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

vectra wrote: »
    Neighbour of mine was in the same dilemna.
    He went and measured up lots of models and came up with a Citreon Picasso.
    3 seats no problem ;)

I'm guessing thats the C4 Picasso, not the Xsara Picasso?

My sis has the Xsara Picasso and needs to change it cause it wont fit 3 seats in the back...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have an 06 Passat and currently have two of the small kid's forward facing seats side-by-side and one cushion only booster. I had to slim the booster down a bit to get access to the seatbelt. I'll be getting two full-size booster seats with backs next week, don't know how they're going to fit, but one this is for sure - I'd rather a small struggle to close seatbelts than have to drive an MPV again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cionád wrote: »

My sis has the Xsara Picasso and needs to change it cause it wont fit 3 seats in the back...
    No,
    It is actually the Xsara picasso.
    Maybe his chiold seats are smaller than usual ?
    he has Twins and one children

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

vectra wrote: »
    Maybe his chiold seats are smaller than usual ?
    he has Twins and one children

Hmmm, must be something like that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

Toyota corolla verso is the car for you. Takes 3 child seats in the back. and has 2 foldway in the boot. we find it great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

As others have said getting your three car seats in the back is the issue. I bought a new Maxi Cosi base (for a baby seat) a few weeks back and it had a little guide book with it listing which cars it fitted and which seats (front and back) it would fit in.

Edit: it's avaliable on their UK web site (select United Kingdom, NOT Ireland as location)
    See http://www.maxicosi.com/maxicosi/carselector.aspx?language=gb-en

For example for my car (Golf Plus) I get:
    59740.JPG

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

john1963 wrote: »
    Toyota corolla verso is the car for you. Takes 3 child seats in the back. and has 2 foldway in the boot. we find it great

+1
    The whole reason we got one was for the ability to fit 3 car seats in the middle row..never have the back 2 up and the fold away snuggly giving loads of boot room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    I bought a new Maxi Cosi base (for a baby seat) a few weeks back and it had a little guide book with it listing which cars it fitted and which seats (front and back) it would fit in.

Just checked this now and it doesn't list a single car as being approved to take the base in the middle seat in the back :( So it's probably useless....

Paddy

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    Just checked this now and it doesn't list a single car as being approved to take the base in the middle seat in the back :( So it's probably useless....

Paddy

That's because it's an ISOfix child-seat. You'll only get two anchor points in the second row of any car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the_manchine

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jayok wrote: »
    That's because it's an ISOfix child-seat. You'll only get two anchor points in the second row of any car.

Citroën C4 Picasso has ISOFIX points on all 3 rear seats (middle row in the 7 seat version). Each rear seat is independent. It should take 3 child seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I take it there's another baby on the way? Congratulations to you so :D
    Ideally something of the size of a Focus/Golf

You can forget about that. C-segment cars are just too small. Most D-segment cars (i.e. Vectra, Mondeo, Avensis, Laguna, 3-series, c-class, etc.) with 3 3-point seatbelts in the rear, would fit your configuration of car seats - just. Make sure to try before you buy though! Also there are safe seats available for a lap belt in case there is no 3-point belt in the middle, as is quite common on higher end executive saloons

We don't like MPVs/SUVs either. We have a Rover 75, two high-back boosters and a rear facing infant seat and it fits
    I too was in the same boat and the short answer is I couldn't find a reasonably priced car that would physically take three car seats straight in the back.

But hold on, your situation was unusual in that you needed two rear facing seats plus another seat in the back. That would be too much for any D-segment (or bigger) saloon / hatchback

crosstownk wrote: »
    Citroën C4 Picasso has ISOFIX points on all 3 rear seats (middle row in the 7 seat version). Each rear seat is independent. It should take 3 child seats.

Ah - didn't know that. At my time of shopping I couldn't find one! Good to know.
    But hold on, your situation was unusual in that you needed two rear facing seats plus another seat in the back. That would be too much for any D-segment (or bigger) saloon / hatchback

True - but I actually had the bigger problem with the Group 1 (9-18kgs) seat that were forward facing rather than the rear facing ones. At times I think I should have bought an ex-Dublin Bus - could use the Bus Lanes then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Cionád wrote: »

Well I have a Xsara Picasso and it fits 3 full size Group 1 child seats in the back without any problems. Some seats are wider than others, but is way cheaper to to buy a different seat than a new car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 carlson

Maybe this is the reason SUVs are so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

carlson wrote: »
    Maybe this is the reason SUVs are so popular?

Most SUV's won't fit 3 full size seats in the back either.

I actually had the bigger problem with the Group 1 (9-18kgs) seat that were forward facing rather than the rear facing ones.

Yeah, you're probably right there - those yokes are pretty big too. One high-back booster and any combination of 2 rear or forward facing seats might be too much for some / most D-segment cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

While I haven't tried it, I reckon you'd get three 9-18kg seats in a C4 Picasso if you put them in one at a time! While the seats might fit, the real problem is preventing the kids from killing each other!!!! To prevent this a 7 seater is the only answer :D

crosstownk wrote: »
    the real problem is preventing the kids from killing each other!!!!

Or preventing the parents killing the kids for that matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The Peugeot 308SW might also be worth a look - 3 individual seats in the middle row all with isofix mounts. Didn't even realise the SW model was available yet and am going to take a look at it myself. It's a bit wider than the 307SW but the seats look clunky from what I've seen but could be a pratical alternative for those who strongly dislike MPVs

EDIT: called in the Peugeot garage at Liffey Valley earlier. 308SW should be available next week.

Advertisement