Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what lock??

Options
  • 18-07-2008 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    iv just mved to dublin and heard that bike theft is absolutely mental up here.
    so im looking to invest in a very decent lock up here
    i dont want it to be too bulky nor too heavy.
    all suggestions welcome.
    i always lock my bike up in a well lit up/non secluded area, so theres no risk there!

thanks again,
    Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

i always lock my bike up in a well lit up/non secluded area, so theres no risk there!
    Ed

Won't make any difference over here. I use 3 locks when I cycle to work, and it's parked in a private enclosed area, outside security window ... but they still managed to get at the bike last year and try to steal it last year, by the time security realized what the guy was doing, the front wheel was undone. Only 1 lock and the bike would have been gone.

I think there are a few Locks threads on the forum, maybe you can use the 'search' options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Kryptonite Evolution Mini is what I use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

hey guys
    iv just mved to dublin and heard that bike theft is absolutely mental up here.
    so im looking to invest in a very decent lock up here
    i dont want it to be too bulky nor too heavy.
    all suggestions welcome.

thanks again,
    Ed

There is a FAQ/Wiki thread stickied.
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Cheap locks are a false economy.
    I use the kryptonite new york. Its a beast and very heavy. I take off the front wheel and thread the lock through the front wheel, rear wheel and rear triangle of the frame. Its pretty secure, ive left it over the weekend at heuston station many times and Its been fine. (Ive also completely taped it up with duct tape so it looks like a complete POS)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Kryptonite Evolution Mini is what I use
    Just ordered one of them myself this morning, will report back on it's quality...although after reading lots of reviews, it seems to be pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a kryptonite new york as well. The large size and yellow colouring seems to work as a deterrent, but the weight keeps me from carrying it around. I leave it on the rack as I only cycle to/from college. I find it hard to judge a lock except by how long you have kept the bike, touch wood its kept two bikes safe for a year now.

Advertisement