Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rust on scottish cars

Options
  • 18-07-2008 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    im thinking of buying a 1999 peugeot with 90k miles from a dealer in Stirlingshire
    Scotland.
    how good/bad are cars from this area for rust?
    thanks
    ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

As salt is spread on the roads in the uk a lot during the winter then there will probably be more rust underneath. Have a look underneath the car.
    But new cars shouldn't be too affected due to anti corrosion measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

mcwhirter wrote: »
    As salt is spread on the roads in the uk a lot during the winter then there will probably be more rust underneath. Have a look underneath the car.
    But new cars shouldn't be too affected due to anti corrosion measures.

I'm not sure about newer cars not being affected. I read a lot of secondhand reviews from the UK across plenty of brands and it appears that while these days the bodies are rust proof, the suspension, brake linings, exhaust system petrol tanks and wiring isn't as good.
    If I was looking to import from the UK then up to about 3 years I wouldn't care too much where the car came from but for an older car I'd only be looking to the parts of the UK with a milder climate which shouldn't be so rotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Exhausts tend to suffer more in the UK in comparison to here. On some cars the replacement cost could be a lot.

Advertisement