Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Good

Options
  • 18-07-2008 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Looks like we're selling 4 squad players to Sunderland and the enevitible sales of Berbatov to Man Utd and Keane to Liverpool. Just can't see the logic (maybe I'm just slow or something)

Surely, no club can expect to realistically challenge for honours / top 4 etc.. and sell 6 players in the process.

Keane and Berbatov - fair enough they want out, our hands are tied.

Chimbo and Tainio - fair enough, 1 is a cnut and the other is not good enough/too injury prone

Steed and Kabul - definately keep

It's a squad game at the end of the day, and we need a depth of quality. Cannot see us recovering from selling 6 players in such a short space of time.

Not sure if this is a balancing of the books, or a clear out for football reasons, but basically 4 "covering" players look like thier gone, (although good riddance to Chimbonda the snide cnut) and I'm not sure we can recover from that in order to mount a challenge for top 4. Hope I'm wrong obviously but we need a large squade in order to suceed.

All in all, quite disapointing IMO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's a squad game at the end of the day, and we need a depth of quality. Cannot see us recovering from selling 6 players in such a short space of time.

I agree Completely, Nothing short of madness IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Looks like we're selling 4 squad players to Sunderland and the enevitible sales of Berbatov to Man Utd and Keane to Liverpool. Just can't see the logic (maybe I'm just slow or something)

Surely, no club can expect to realistically challenge for honours / top 4 etc.. and sell 6 players in the process.

Keane and Berbatov - fair enough they want out, our hands are tied.

Chimbo and Tainio - fair enough, 1 is a cnut and the other is not good enough/too injury prone

Not sure if this is a balancing of the books, or a clear out for football reasons, but basically 4 "covering" players look like thier gone, (although good riddance to Chimbonda the snide cnut) and I'm not sure we can recover from that in order to mount a challenge for top 4. Hope I'm wrong obviously but we need a large squade in order to suceed.

All in all, quite disapointing IMO

Average players the lot of them. Tainio and Steed being the pick of the bunch. Chimbona piss poor attitude and don't start me on Kaboul. Obviously Ramos thinks that we can do better without them.

One worrying thing about the lads that have come in and the majority of the names being mentioned as replacements is that they have no premier league experience. I fear a long settling in period will damage our league chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Jeez lads, what do we want, a squad of 40+ players all on PL wages?

As things stand:

Gomes
    Robbo

Hutton
    King
    Woody
    Bale
    Dawson
    Gunter
    Gilberto
    BAE
    Gardner
    Dervitte
    Lee

Modric
    Jenas
    Zokora
    Lennon
    Huddlestone
    O'Hara
    dos Santos
    Boateng
    Rose
    Bostock

Keane
    Berbatov

Bent
    Peckhart

That's without the four off to Sunderland. If Berbs and Keane go they will be replaced, plus I 'd expect another CB and GK, and probably a midfielder or two to arrive. Players in bold likely to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I think if we are gonna offload some of the dead wood (which I agree we need to do), then surley there are a lot more players further down the order of importance then these 4.

For instance if the 4 being sold were any of the following I'd be happy:
    Rocha, Gardner, Ghaly, Ekotto, Peckhart, Boateng, Dervitte

The 4 mentioned last night are of a higher quality then the above and I think we will suffer as a result of selling them when the enevitible injuries/suspensions kick in and we (hopfully) are still in all 4 competitions.

I have faith in Ramos, but I would be dissapointed to suffer another season of rebuliding.
    No argument that we need to sell, but the players mentioned are too important IMO (bar chimbonda who is a sinde mercenary cnut)

As usual, Time will tell I suppose (Hope I'm wrong obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Id personally snap Roys hand off if the reported 23m bid is true. Id miss Steed but he's replaceable. The other 3 are crap. Will be suprised though if he does get all 4.

We need to get rid of a couple more too. Ghaly, Boateng, Lee and Gardner spring to mind. That makes 8 out the door before I consider the 2 top boys.

Berba is as good as gone, I will hold judgement on the Keane issue for the moment.

Hopefully Bentley will come in. Some of you may laugh, but dont be suprised if Bent has a strong part to play. And we have'nt seen much of BAE, he might play a part too.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Id personally snap Roys hand off if the reported 23m bid is true. Id miss Steed but he's replaceable. The other 3 are crap. Will be suprised though if he does get all 4.

We need to get rid of a couple more too. Ghaly, Boateng, Lee and Gardner spring to mind. That makes 8 out the door before I consider the 2 top boys.

Berba is as good as gone, I will hold judgement on the Keane issue for the moment.

Hopefully Bentley will come in. Some of you may laugh, but dont be suprised if Bent has a strong part to play. And we have'nt seen much of BAE, he might play a part too.

8 out the door is far too many if we are looking to challenge on all 4 fronts.
    Would welcome Bentley though.
    Maybe theres a secret plan to sign another 3/4 but I doubt it.
    Another transition season I fear.

8 out the door is far too many if we are looking to challenge on all 4 fronts.
    Would welcome Bentley though.
    Maybe theres a secret plan to sign another 3/4 but I doubt it.
    Another transition season I fear.

Im not sure Dub, the players I named are crap and dont warrant a place in the squad as far as Im concerned.

Gunter to back up Hutton.
    Bale Gilberto and BAE is plenty for left full.
    King Woodgate Dawson plus a new signing for CH.

Plenty in midfield, Jenas Zokora OHara Lennon Modric Dos Santos Huddlestone, plus steed as id like to keep him.

Up top Bent Berba Keane and eh eh eh, we really need to strengthen assuming the 2 lads leave.

Id like to see the likes of Bostock Pekhart Archibald Henville etc get a run in the cups if we get some handy draws.

Iv probably left out 1 or 2, if so, excuse the ignorance.

On top of the above, I would expect 2 or 3 strong signings in the next 4 weeks, Bentley being one of them, along with a Centre half and a strong central player , Joey Barton maybe :).

Im not sure Dub, the players I named are crap and dont warrant a place in the squad as far as Im concerned.

Gunter to back up Hutton.
    Bale Gilberto and BAE is plenty for left full.
    King Woodgate Dawson plus a new signing for CH.

Plenty in midfield, Jenas Zokora OHara Lennon Modric Dos Santos Huddlestone, plus steed as id like to keep him.

Up top Bent Berba Keane and eh eh eh, we really need to strengthen assuming the 2 lads leave.

Id like to see the likes of Bostock Pekhart Archibald Henville etc get a run in the cups if we get some handy draws.

Iv probably left out 1 or 2, if so, excuse the ignorance.

On top of the above, I would expect 2 or 3 strong signings in the next 4 weeks, Bentley being one of them, along with a Centre half and a strong central player , Joey Barton maybe :).

We will see what happens, if we do sign 3/4 quality players I won't be moaning too much about the ones we appear to be selling.

Still don't see how we are gonna replace 50 goals a season partnership but I supose that's a different debate altogether.

One things for sure, never a dull moment at the Lane :)

We will see what happens, if we do sign 3/4 quality players I won't be moaning too much about the ones we appear to be selling.

Still don't see how we are gonna replace 50 goals a season partnership but I supose that's a different debate altogether.

One things for sure, never a dull moment at the Lane :)

Yep, never a dull moment.

I completely agree, last season, we could'nt keep a clean sheet, who knows, this season could be the opposite, in that we have nobody to put the ball in the back of the net. If they do leave, we'd need a santa cruz or someone who has played and scored in the prem, otherwise, your left waiting for a foreign centre forward to settle in etc..

otherwise, your left waiting for a foreign centre forward to settle in etc..

And that appears to be the road we're going down if rumours are to be believed.

A very reliable source on another MB is saying that we're in for Milto and Puvlychenko (excuse the spellings !!) and that both are very keen on Spurs. Don't know much about either player to be honest. I expect Ramos to make the right call though.

• Advertisement

And that appears to be the road we're going down if rumours are to be believed.

A very reliable source on another MB is saying that we're in for Milto and Puvlychenko (excuse the spellings !!) and that both are very keen on Spurs. Don't know much about either player to be honest. I expect Ramos to make the right call though.

Have seen a fair bit of Milito, looks decent, but he's 28, i wonder if his best is in the passed. As for the russian, only seen him in the euros, looks useful but id be very wary, not many russians have come to the prem and done the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I missed a couple of players in my lineup earlier...

Gomes
    Robbo

Hutton
    Chimbonda
    Gunter
    Stalteri 4 RBs

Bale
    Gilberto
    Lee
    BAE 4 LBs

King
    Woody
    Dawson
    Kaboul
    Gardner
    Dervitte 6 CBs

Zokora
    Jenas
    Modric
    Lennon
    dos Santos
    Hudd
    O'Hara
    Tainio
    Steed
    Boateng
    Taarabt
    Rose
    Bostock 13 midfielders

Berbatov
    Keane
    Bent
    Peckhart 4 strikers

-2 from a squad of 33 isn't that bad, considering we're going to replace Keane and Berbatov if they also leave.

Plenty of scope for culling numbers. If you look at the ins and outs of this window and the last two, we have bought a number of first XI players (Woody, Hutton, Bale, Gomes, Modric at a mimimum) while letting the lower reaches of our squad leave, with the obvious exception of Defoe and Mido. Roughly £85m spent, about £15m back in. If we look at the last three windows as a whole instead of this window only the picture looks much better. Incidently, I don't think that level of spending is sustainable without us recouping through sales.

I take your point re. the quality of the players Shane, but we can't force Keane to take players he doesn't want. £23m for those four players is great business, knocks about £75k off the wages bill and pays for Modric, dos Santos and Bostock.

We know we're in for Bentley and Capel, so I'd be stunned if the spending stops here...in addition, the players we will sign will be first XI quality, so pushing current first teamers on to the bench (Jenas, Lennon, Hudd etc etc) so that can only be a good thing.

We know we're in for Bentley and Capel, so I'd be stunned if the spending stops here...in addition, the players we will sign will be first XI quality, so pushing current first teamers on to the bench (Jenas, Lennon, Hudd etc etc) so that can only be a good thing.

Lets hope we do sign some quality, I'd be happy with Bently and Capel to be honest. Those would definately ease my concerns I have about the general squad side of things.

Replacing a 50 goal a season partnership is another matter alltogether.
    This will be a very very difficult task, quality goalscorers willing to come to non-CL clubs are extremely thin on the ground. If Ramos replaces Keane and Berbatov sucessfully he will have worked a miricle in my eyes.

Fingers crossed eh

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Kaboul will end up with our 2nd team in Portsmouth.
    The other 3 could finish up in NE - i like Steed but the rest are not top 4 material.
    BTW we'll be lucky to get £15M for them.

Pauleychenko? is a cracking player - if we got Arshavin as well the 2 striker mercenaries can f off if they want. (Keane needs a brain transplant if he thinks he can do better at Fool - Berba for £25M thanks very much)

Ronan is right we cant have 50 players - many moderate at WHL.

Advertisement