Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete First Floor.

• 18-07-2008 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭

I'm building a storey and a half house with UFH in both the ground floor and the upper floor. This presents a few question for me.

1. Does it have to be concrete for UFH or is there any other option?

2. What concrete options are there, Block & beam, Hollowcore, Poured in-situ Reinforced Concrete???

3. How these joint to the wall. I've already planned for all downstairs walls to be 215 (9") solid to take the majority of the weight, but do i have to have my external with a 215 internal leaf also. or is a 100 standard internal leaf enough?

If anyone has any sketches or drawings of this junction I'd be very happpy to recieve them.

Thanks in advance for any help recieved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

1. no - you can install UFH in a timber floor structure

2. For first floor most practical option is usually precast (hollowcore) + screed

3. if first floor is concrete better to make inner leaf 215 thick

You need a structural engineer . You can't make these decisions yourself , even with consulting here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

thanks sinnerboy. I will be engaging a professional when I do it but just trying to arrange figures at the moment so wanted to know my options to way up the pros and cons of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rahman

Concrete floor is definitely the way to go.
    For external walls 4" is fine for inner leaf. For opes greter than 1500mm double up on lintel for inner leaf. For large opes use a girder.
    I put in UFH on top of my concrete floor and its a great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

rahman wrote: »
    Concrete floor is definitely the way to go.
    For external walls 4" is fine for inner leaf. For opes greter than 1500mm double up on lintel for inner leaf. For large opes use a girder.
    I put in UFH on top of my concrete floor and its a great job

In my experience - not . The structural engineer who is certifying construction will have the last word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

Have been told by engineer that 4" is fine for my house which is similar to the ops, although he says it depends on the span sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Convention standards in the US require a minimum bearing of 3 inches for HC slab on a block bearing { less for steel bearing]

http://www.strescore.com/Technical_Data_files/Plank%20Bearing%20Design%20Information.pdf

The reason it is good practice to go for 215 inner leaf block is that it allows a higher margin for error.

The doubling up of lintels is not good practice either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Quazzie
    What ever you deside dont forget to wrap the floor with airtightness membrane and seal wiith tape. now is the time to do it. See sketch for rough idea.

Heatherview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hi Heatherview...

Can you expand on this please, as I will be installing a concrete first floor slab also...?
    Are you saying that before the slab is placed on the structure, this should be done? If so, any recommendations re product type?

Where does this fit in in the overall scheme of things in terms of Insulation?

The more detail you have the better please...;)

thanks

"Hi Quazzie
    What ever you deside dont forget to wrap the floor with airtightness membrane and seal wiith tape. now is the time to do it. See sketch for rough idea"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Can you expand on this please, as I will be installing a concrete first floor slab also...?

See ProClima web site for good photos of installation of membrane around floor slab(Moy and Siga may have similar photos)

Get proper advice on all structural pre-stressed slabs but from experience 75mm bearing for 150mm hollowcore slab but 200mm slab will require bigger bearing and with a 200mm hollowcore slab I'd use 215mm blockwork.

200mm hollow core over domestic spans may not need a structural screed and could be ideal for ufh - saving on second screed -(structural screed + finished screed with ufh pipes on insulation).

IMO a Double lintel is a mad idea - lintel is prestressed , so two lintels are no advantage.

If using conc lintols then ensure 2 rows of blocks minimum above lintel for necessary compression - see Homebond manual etc.
    Otherwise use manufactured & certified steel lintols or steel I-beams to Structual Engineers spec.

Remember Hollowcore are prestressed so the longer the span the more they bow up in the middle - so 100mm block work is fine to sides of slab span as floor may not actually sit on wall!

The OP must get Structural Engineers Professional advice before any on site works. Each structure with have its owns individual issues that must be resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

was looking at the detail and was thinking that this means the blocks are not 'stuck' to the slab by cement as the barrier is in between. Does this effect structural integrity?

• Advertisement

. Does this effect structural integrity?

No. The slabs won't move with their weight and once the structural screed is poured the floor becomes one unit. Then the blockwork walls are build on top of it. The wallties tie the block walls together

Think of the airtightness membrane as similar to the block work above and below a standard radon barrier detail - radon breaks joint in blocks but theres no loss of structural integrity! Hope this helps.

RKQ wrote: »
    Think of the airtightness membrane as similar to the block work above and below a standard radon barrier detail - radon breaks joint in blocks but theres no loss of structural integrity! Hope this helps.

Excuse my ignorance on this but can you just confirm that the airtightness membrane is placed on top of the pre-cast slab and then you build up from there etc?

thanks and sorry for being a pest!!;)

Quick question on this....if u have UFH downstairs and given that heat rises...does that mean that even with a concrete 1st floor, that certain amounts of your ground floor heat will ultimately leak upto your 1st Floor:confused:

Quick reply... Yes.
    All heat rises but this will mainly heat the 1st floor, which will take the chill out of these rooms.

It is possible to insulate the underside of the slab.

I'd be concerned about the hollow voids in the slab, if unsealed, allowing warm air into the cavity or wind driven air from the cavity into the voids.

There is an airtightness detail to rectify this situation - wrapping the slab in a breather felt and plastering both ends into the walls above and below the slab. Some people seal the holes in the slabs with plaster or spray foam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

rahman wrote: »
    For opes greter than 1500mm double up on lintel for inner leaf.

This is not good practice and should not be allowed on a site.

RKQ wrote: »
    Quick reply... Yes.
    All heat rises but this will mainly heat the 1st floor, which will take the chill out of these rooms.

It is possible to insulate the underside of the slab.

I'd be concerned about the hollow voids in the slab, if unsealed, allowing warm air into the cavity or wind driven air from the cavity into the voids.

There is an airtightness detail to rectify this situation - wrapping the slab in a breather felt and plastering both ends into the walls above and below the slab. Some people seal the holes in the slabs with plaster or spray foam.

Hi RKQ,

Thanks for the reply and info....
    If as Heatherview says above and you added to re Proclima etc, you put in the vapour barrier, does that prevent the heat from leaking thru' from the Ground Floor to the first...?

thanks

technophobe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

An alternative to Hollowcore+screed is to use an easyscreed type of product. (easyscreed.ie). My architect used this method for his own house: timber battens, a layer of plywood, layer of insulated gypsum board with the easyscreed poured on top. He claims it gives good soundproofing and it works better than concrete with UFH, although it is expensive by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Where did the idea of doubled up prestressed lintels come from? Its crazy but it seems to be getting popular. Some 'Engineers' are insisting on them being doubled up! Ive seen lots of cracks between the lintels when this is done no matter how they are proped during construction.

Hi Quazzie
    What ever you deside dont forget to wrap the floor with airtightness membrane and seal wiith tape. now is the time to do it. See sketch for rough idea.

Heatherview

Hey Heatherview..

Can I ask what product you used when you wrapped your concrete 1st floor..??

Just for my own understanding, what happens to the membrane hanging above and below the slab? Is this somehow sealed to the internal blockwork and then covered over when slabbing etc?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Hey Heatherview..

Can I ask what product you used when you wrapped your concrete 1st floor..??

Just for my own understanding, what happens to the membrane hanging above and below the slab? Is this somehow sealed to the internal blockwork and then covered over when slabbing etc?

thanks

You use solitex plus, the roofing membrane. It's quite robust and so is less likely to tear when hollow core slabs are dragged across it.

Internally, you tape it to your block work using a fleece backed tape. You then plaster over the tape (plaster adheres to the fleece) and hence you have a good airtight junction.

Alternatively you can fixed it to the block work using expanded metal lath and plaster over it as above.

• Advertisement

Hi SAS

thanks for the reply....

Just to check this and for my own info:confused:

The Solitex Plus is firstly stuck to the inner side of the internal cavity wall block using the tape you mention, then pulled up the side of the concrete slabs laid for the 1st floor and then taped again to the inner side of the internal cavity wall above the slab?

cheers;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Hi SAS

thanks for the reply....

Just to check this and for my own info:confused:

The Solitex Plus is firstly stuck to the inner side of the internal cavity wall block using the tape you mention, then pulled up the side of the concrete slabs laid for the 1st floor and then taped again to the inner side of the internal cavity wall above the slab?

cheers;)

The membrane is fixed to the wall inside.
    The membrane travels up the wall and then turns towards the cavity travelling underneath the hollowcore.
    The membrane is now brought up around the hollowcore (in the cavity) and back inside above the hollowcore.
    The upstairs block work is completed on top of the membrane.
    The membrane is then fixed to the inner surface of the inner leaf of blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

I was thinking of just bedding the hollowcore in morter but this airtight membrane sounds like a better job.

Advertisement