Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Bargains of all time

• 18-07-2008 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this on a differnet forum and was wondering what people here thought. Who do people think is the best bargain of all time??

I'll gte the ball rolling with nicolas anelka to arsenal for 900k. Or Zidane to Juve for 3m..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. In the region of €1.5 million wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Gotta be C*ntona to the Mancs for a couple of butter vouchers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Was going to say that one alright.

Doyle to Reading for a packet of tayto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Gotta agree with the above, Cantona was class, Even the lilkes of Roy Keane for them at the time it was a lot of money but looking at it now it was pennies considering the player they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Gary Mac to Liverpool on a freebie was a great bit of business for Liverpool.

Zidane and Cantona immediately sprung to mind for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Cesc fabulous of course was a free transfer and so far looks like he could be a really great player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. In the region of €1.5 million wasn't it?

+1

I also think Riise was as well. Didn't Liverpool pay about 50 quid for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Leeds paid 10% of that for him two years before! 100,000 IIRC

Schmeichel for £500,000

Lee Sharpe for £125,000

Gary McAllister to Liverpool, free wasnt he? worked out very well for them in so far as his pay off on the field.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Leeds paid 10% of that for him two years before! 100,000 IIRC

Wow didn't know that!! It's gotta be cantona so as a double bargain buy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Kenny Dalglish 440k at the time when he signed for Liverpool, Ian Rush 50k plus as a teenager signed from Chester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

For City the Goat definitely is up there, Didi and Ali Benarbia cost us feck all, half a mil for Hart looks like good business and Kinky for 3mil was money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

WRT Cantona, a Million was quiet a bit of cash pre premiership. I'm not saying he wasn't worth it but i would hardly call it a bargain.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mormank wrote: »
    Cesc fabulous of course was a free transfer and so far looks like he could be a really great player
    "Could" be a great player? I think you'll find he already is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

Dennis Irwin £625,000 alot in 1990 but chip as chips now a days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Dwight Yorke to Villa Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

toure to Arsenal and cesc as well.

but Gary Mac is my favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Denis Irwin
    Ronnie Johnsen
    Peter Schmeichel
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    Teddy Sheringham

Treble 1999? United wojuld have been relegated only for those 5 bargains! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Tresor Kandol, Barnet to Leeds for 200k

BARGAIN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Big Sami Hypia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Could turn out to be Ronaldo.... 2 prem titles and a CL, and possibly a £50million profit! :D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    "Could" be a great player? I think you'll find he already is

well i just dont like to get agead of myself with callin players great!! i think the word great has to be kept for a handful of players. i hate the way in which it is bandied about to anybody who has a good season!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Schmeichel would be my #1 bargain...how many times did he win matches for the mancs...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

For me its very close between Irwin, Cantona and Schmeichel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

For Newcastle:

- Shay Given. £1.5 million for 11 years and counting of world class goalkepping.

- Peter Beardsley. Beardo was absolutely magic in his second spell at the club, i've never seen a player who loved to play as much a s Beardo did (well maybe Gazza as well)

-Andy Cole. Under £2 million for an incredible goalscoring rate, helping us to get on the premiership map. Sell on of 3 times the profit wasn't bad either, particulalry considering his replacement was Sir Les.

- Rob Lee. £700,000 for a highly underrated player who gave us 10 years service, constantly adapting himself to suit the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The answer is clearly Zizou. He was signed for virtually nothing at a time when virtually all transfer rates were ridiculously inflated and then sold for something along the lines of 1500% of his original price after Juve had gotten his best years out of him.

Along the English lines, we got Cudicini for practically nothing and he turned out to be a quality player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Luis Enrique... Signed on a free transfer from Madrid.. Bargain... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fabregas, Cantona, Zidane, Schmeichel, Vieira, Anelka.
    There have been some truly amazing bits of business. Previous employers must have been kicking themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

No mention of Henrik Larsonn for £650k?

Phenominal business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

I agree with many of the above but I don't buy into this Solskjaer thing. The chap is remembered as being greater than he actually was IMO.
    His goalscoring records aren't great and I never really felt he was that important for United in the nineties. If he didn't score THAT goal, I think he would be remembered quite differently......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I agree with many of the above but I don't buy into this Solskjaer thing. The chap is remembered as being greater than he actually was IMO.
    His goalscoring records aren't great and I never really felt he was that important for United in the nineties. If he didn't score THAT goal, I think he would be remembered quite differently......

Does my nut in when the United away supporter start chirping out with that 'my only Solskjaer' song when they come to St. James. FFS, Alan Shearer was dearer for a reason ya bitter tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sami Hypia is a great shout at £2.6million afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

126 goals in 366 appearances isn't a great record? Whether you think he's a great player or not, I don't see how you can't consider that a bargain for the money paid. Solskjaer changed absolutely countless games for United. He must've been a manager's dream, never complaining about having to start on the bench. Even when he was asked to do a job out on the right wing, he completely re-invented himself and pretty much kept Beckham out of the team. After years of rehab and coming back from a career threatening injury (and one that ultimately undid him) he still managed to get 11 goals when United won the Premiership two seasons ago, despite limited playing time and having to retire towards the end of that season. Arguably the most clinical finisher we've ever had, certainly in this generation. How was he not a bargain?

lol bitter.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Too many players from the early 90's being mentioned here. Not saying they weren't bargains, just that the market was very different back in those days and it's hard to judge whether they were bargains or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Henry nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Anelka
    Viera
    Henry
    Cantona
    Fabregas
    Zidane
    Schmeichel
    Roque Santa Cruz
    Michael Ballack
    Gianfranco Zola
    Dennis Bergkamp

In no particular order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Premier League goals in his 11 seasons: 17, 6, 12, 12, 10, 17, 9, 0, 0, 0, 7.
    A total of 90 league goals in 235 games, not that impressive IMO at such a successful club.
    You say he changed games with the goals he scored. I was impressed by the 4 goals against Forest etc and wouldn't regard him as a bad player but I think if United had a different striker at that time, who was decent (not saying Ole wasn't), he could have scored that amount of goals too.

Henry etc much bigger bargains

Anelka
    Viera
    Henry
    Cantona
    Fabregas
    Zidane
    Schmeichel
    Roque Santa Cruz
    Michael Ballack
    Gianfranco Zola
    Dennis Bergkamp

In no particular order

poor defenders :(

Scott Carson, £3.25m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Anelka - I don't think anyone else comes close to a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Cantana, solskar and irwin will get a mention because of united fanbase but if you really want to call someone a bargain.
    Someone who got results and helped change the game in England there is only one player in my time that deserves that accolade (im a liverpool fan)

Thierry Henry

gifted

and a genuine football legend.

And unlike another frenchy I could mention- Sane(nice guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Darren Bent - £16.5m :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Sami Hypia is a great shout at £2.6million afaik.

there just has to be a murderpool player in there, doesnt there. Regardless of whether he was a bargain or any good. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

there just has to be a murderpool player in there, doesnt there. Regardless of whether he was a bargain or any good. :rolleyes:

ah come on now.

Sami Hyypia was an absolute steal.

Like I agree there shouldn't be even mentions of Riise - like I love the guy but cost about 5m from monaco - and in fairness was always culpable - but hyypia for **** sake has been a rock in the hearth of our defense for a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Premier League goals in his 11 seasons: 17, 6, 12, 12, 10, 17, 9, 0, 0, 0, 7.
    A total of 90 league goals in 235 games, not that impressive IMO at such a successful club.
    You say he changed games with the goals he scored. I was impressed by the 4 goals against Forest etc and wouldn't regard him as a bad player but I think if United had a different striker at that time, who was decent (not saying Ole wasn't), he could have scored that amount of goals too.

Henry etc much bigger bargains
    Well those goal scoring figures look alot better when you show how many games he played:

Apps Goals

He was out injured for in and around 2 seasons and was deployed as a right winger for awhile too. Averging a goal every 2.6 games for a player who was constantly coming off the bench and had an injury plagued few seasons is amazing imo. You certainly would pay a hell of alot more than £1.5 million for a player of his qualiy now, thus making him one of the greatest bargins of all time imo.

Sami Hypia is one of the best defenders ever to play for Liverpool. and one of the best defenders ever to play in the Premier League, he has won every honour for the club except the PL and is there 10 years during that time scoring some vital vital vital goals.

You really do expose yourself for wat you are from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

there just has to be a murderpool player in there, :

Poor post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Gary Mc was one of the best free transfers ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Grow a pair lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement