Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunderland agree £23m raid on Tottenham

Options
  • 18-07-2008 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Keane agrees £23m raid on Tottenham

This from the Times London today!

Sunderland made a startling intervention in the transfer market last night, agreeing to sign four players from Tottenham Hotspur for a combined fee of £23 million.

Younès Kaboul, Steed Malbranque, Teemu Tainio and Pascal Chimbonda left Spurs’ training camp in Spain yesterday and are expected on Wearside today to discuss personal terms. Should the deal go through, it will represent an unprecedented transfer of resources between Barclays Premier League clubs.

While Tottenham will be relieved to have recouped a hefty chunk of the £82 million they have spent in the past year, Roy Keane will claim that his intention to inject proven quality into his first-team squad has been partially fulfilled. Sunderland may have paid a premium for experience, but the manager has regularly spoken of the difficulty in attracting players to the North East.

Keane and his players are due to travel to Portugal today for friendly matches against Sporting Lisbon and Vitória Setúbal, but the Irishman is expected to meet his quartet of new signings. “I’ve not managed to get an opportunity to speak to a player and that’s all I ask of Niall Quinn \ and Peter Walker \,” he said yesterday. “Get me the opportunity to speak to them so we can make a deal happen.”

While the deal will not go through before those discussions — and medical examinations — have taken place, the fact that the Tottenham four have returned to England is regarded as an extremely positive development at the Stadium of Light. Sunderland have also been negotiating with Spurs about signing Darren Bent, the striker, but have not come close to settling upon a fee.

Keane’s wish to demonstrate Sunderland’s ambition has already been fulfilled, however. “This is a big summer,” Keane said. “The club needs to make a statement, very much so. I do know Niall and Peter are working extremely hard, but it’s all well and good saying we’re nearly there. The real deal-makers get over the line. I want to change the history of the club.”

Sunderland’s defence would be bolstered by the signings of Kaboul, 22, and Chimbonda, 29, while Tainio, 28, offers versatility across the pitch and Malbranque, 28, would bring craft to the midfield, where Keane yesterday also removed Liam Miller and Ross Wallace from the Sunderland transfer list. Keane has also confirmed that Kenwyne Jones will be absent for at least two months with a knee ligament injury. Buying at least one striker remains a priority.

Great bit of business if it happens, but I doubt it will? I would say if it does we will keep keane, as we won't need the money:cool:!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I feel that steed is a bit of a loss, he had some very good games in very important games. Chimbonda will move on again this time next year and i whish the Kaboul and Taninio the best, espically the latter i felt he always tried his best.

However with UTD putting a bid in for berbs today and keane seemingly on the move thats 6 players gone for arounf the 70 Million Mark, would we not want to start signing some replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'll miss Steed, he'd have made a solid squad player.

Kaboul I liked despite his failings, if we had the time and the opportunity I think we could have made something of him.

Tainio is too injury prone, no point having squad players to replace injured first teamers if they themselves are always injured!

Chimbonda, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ziedth wrote: »
    However with UTD putting a bid in for berbs today and keane seemingly on the move thats 6 players gone for arounf the 70 Million Mark, would we not want to start signing some replacements.

Put it like this, if this bid goes through Sunderland will have paid for Modric, dos Santos and Bostock.

Can't argue with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Put it like this, if this bid goes through Sunderland will have paid for Modric, dos Santos and Bostock.

Can't argue with that?

Very good bit of business, well done Spurs if you ask me! Sure we would have hung on to Steed and Kaboul, but as squad players - they can be sacrificed to get rid of Chimbo and Tanio IMO:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

According to the bbc
    Tottenham defender Younes Kaboul "wouldn't join Sunderland even if there was an earthquake", according to his agent. (AFP news agency, 1342 BST)
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

An earthquake ? What a strange comment......

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

steed going is a mistake imo always gave 100% not going to perform miracles but honest.
    kaboul will come good though probably not in epl probably would have survived at spurs without the talk.
    tainio ran his course.
    Chimbo good riddance.
    on balance at this stage,the calibre of players in far outways those going with exception berba and keane. the bentley issue probably wont be sorted untill either or both have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I remember we were heavily linked with Steed back in his Fulham days. To be honest I'd still take him at Anfield today...

Kaboul was a total flop in my opinion, but he still has the bar raised above a club like Sunderland :p

And today I've just found out Chimbonda is in talks with Sunderland. Good player, I remember his great season with Wigan when they won promotion. I think Liverpool were linked with him too...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,000 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What is Keane up to?

The four of them are basically Spurs reserves, not good enough to get into a team that were nearly passed by the Mullet led Newcastle.

I know Sunderland are finding it hard to attract players up north, but doing all your shopping in the once off Bargain Basket Spurs are holding is ridiculous.

Malbranque in fairness gives 100% but lacks any sort of guile or cleverness.

Chimbonda is a mercenary and I can't see the 2 personalities of him and Keane getting on.

Kaboul came with a big reputation and can be brilliant at times when I have seen him, more often than not thou he has been woeful.

Tanio is another trier, but is very very average, also can't see him being too happy with a move, he is one of the only Finnish people that are actually a Spurs supporter. :D

If Ramos gets 20-25 million for those 4 it will be a great bit of business in fairness.

Keane would get alot of more in my opinion if he stuck in a proper Bid for Bent and Huddlestone. With Jones out for god knows how long, Bent could restart his career at a smaller club and Huddlestone would be perfect to sure up the midfield, he also has the versatility at playing centre back, although not his best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

According to SSN the steed, taino, kaboul and chimbo are all at the sunderland training ground today discussing moves. The only one i'll miss will be steed. Solid player I think he still could have done a job for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ditrock

hoppo254 wrote: »
    An earthquake ? What a strange comment......

Despite his agents quote yesterday, Kaboul was still shown arriving at Sunderlands training ground yesterday, so lets not lose all hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Would be dissapointed to lose Steed. As for the other three, no sleep will be lost on my part if they go.

Advertisement