Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping plants watered while away

Options
  • 18-07-2008 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I have four potted conifers (3 foot high on my tiny balcony) that need to be watered every 2-3 days. I'll be going away for two weeks in August and dont live conveniently close to anyone who would be happy to go in and water them for me regularly.

I was wondering if there is a way of keeping them watered/moist while I'm gone, i.e. are there time release capsules available? Or any other trick to keep them from drying out, or dying of thirst?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Plenty of self watering pots out there.

Just an observation looking up info on this.........Gardeners are on drugs!

See!

You can make your own.

Or you can set yourself up in business.

There are timer systems that switch on/off hoses but the above maybe the cheapest option.

BTW plants are too smart to be fooled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I use these at the moment for watering grow bags. There is a range of ideas here, but harrod are a UK company - ebay.ie has a variety of micro irrigation solutions.

The nozzles attached to the water line can be adjusted to regulated the flow, the bag holds 10 litres (I think) but I have seen set up where the line is attached to a plastic bin or water butt for greater capacity.

There are also digital irrigation timers available that are attached between the hose and tap - they will switch on and off the flow at preset times - not hideously expensive, but they do need the accessories - nozzles, micro pipe etc. Again ebay.ie has plenty of examples.

Advertisement