Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why's half of boards users so proper?

• 18-07-2008 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

when did everyone get so pretentious.

i posted asking for advice ages ago about an unpaid esb bill.. no advice, people giving out to me to pay my bills. not helpful

i see the drunk post a second ago in this forum about not goin to work, first response, "we're in a recession, people want your job".. cause nobody has ever called in sick?

in personal issues, a teen lad writes about pregnant girl and his initial reaction wasn't great.. people give out to him for bein immature and a bad person / bad father etc. not helpful, he's only a kid who got a girl pregnant who came on here lookin for help..

if anyone posts anythin got to do wit warez, not only is it not allowed which is fair, people always frown upon it and tell them to go buy it and dont be cheap.. as if they've never downloaded a song? god forbid

seems like most of the regs here have developed a very mature sense of humor and put down any other form.. the thread a few mins ago where the guy broke up with a girl sayin "don't hate the player, hate the game". when did you get too mature to admit that sounds pretty funny.. and then post tryin to insult OP saying people were laughing at him? blatently not.

i could add to this for days.. boards regs tryin to come off as righteous and proper. yea there's rules against warez but don't insult somebody about it, don't insult people who genuinely ask for help about teen pregnancy..
    why isn't there a specific forum for "legal advice" on the only irish board where you might find someone who knows what you need to know? instead of a "legal discussion" thread that bans it. cause right now, i'd like to ask someone who knows consumer law for advice but cant for some reason.

boards seem to be up their own arses.. most "proper" forum online where people think they are gods gift.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

turf wrote: »
    the thread a few mins ago where the guy broke up with a girl sayin "don't hate the player, hate the game". when did you get too mature to admit that sounds pretty funny.. and then post tryin to insult OP saying people were laughing at him? blatently not.
    I think that's funny. :)

If someone asks for warez, I may mock them 'cause they haven't read the rules but I won't tell them to buy it.

They're not always serious but it's easier to get on the high horse online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

A fair observation. Probably worth remembering that those with the strongest opinions tend to be overrepresented on boards in general. I think that more moderate boardsies will often not bother getting involved in a thread if the richeous minority has gotten there first. Motors is a great board for lovers of the moral high ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

i posted asking for advice ages ago about an unpaid esb bill.. no advice, people giving out to me to pay my bills. not helpful

i see the drunk post a second ago in this forum about not goin to work, first response, "we're in a recession, people want your job".. cause nobody has ever called in sick?

in personal issues, a teen lad writes about pregnant girl and his initial reaction wasn't great.. people give out to him for bein immature and a bad person / bad father etc. not helpful, he's only a kid who got a girl pregnant who came on here lookin for help..

if anyone posts anythin got to do wit warez, not only is it not allowed which is fair, people always frown upon it and tell them to go buy it and dont be cheap.. as if they've never downloaded a song? god forbid

seems like most of the regs here have developed a very mature sense of humor and put down any other form.. the thread a few mins ago where the guy broke up with a girl sayin "don't hate the player, hate the game". when did you get too mature to admit that sounds pretty funny.. and then post tryin to insult OP saying people were laughing at him? blatently not.

i could add to this for days.. boards regs tryin to come off as righteous and proper. yea there's rules against warez but don't insult somebody about it, don't insult people who genuinely ask for help about teen pregnancy..
    why isn't there a specific forum for "legal advice" on the only irish board where you might find someone who knows what you need to know? instead of a "legal discussion" thread that bans it. cause right now, i'd like to ask someone who knows consumer law for advice but cant for some reason.

boards seem to be up their own arses.. most "proper" forum online where people think they are gods gift.

I have this weird thing about people that don't use capital letters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are laws and other precedents in place which prevent certain types of statements being made.

The reason there's no "legal advice" forum is because boards.ie is not a firm of solicitors. So if you receive bad legal advice, you could sue boards.ie and the courts would string the admins up by the testicles for pretending that they were qualified solicitors.

You can thank the bottom-feeding litigation-loving scumbags for that one.

By the same token, if someone comes on complaining about their car being clamped, you can't post, "Ah sure just get bolt cutters, take it off and **** it in the liffey", because there are laws against encouraging/telling people to break the law.

That one's just good sense. You're not in a private place now and when you post, you're speaking to a lot more people. You need to be aware of that.

You also have to remember that you're not down the pub with your sympathetic mates. If you get a speeding fine, you're not going to hear, "Ah those poxy guards, that's ****ing ridiculous", instead you're going to hear the truth - "You broke the law, pay the fine you moron".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

This happens a lot with regs.

I'm moderator and a 3 year reg on a pretty big gaming forum so we have a lot of vets there and I posted a thread and got a great reaction. I then made a new account and racked up about 50 posts or so and then posted the same thread when other users were online and got a completly differnt reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Off to feedback with you!
    Fight that power!
    Duck the lolcats!
    Corrupt the atari Jaguar boards kernel!
    I got your back kiddo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I have this weird thing about people that don't use capital letters.

close to Athlone.
    ^

tryin to be proper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Man, I couldn't agree with you more. Far too many self righteous folk here! People are far too quick to have a go when someone is asking for advise. People should be banned for this imo.

Oh ya, great 100th post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Just stickin by the rules my good man, without them this site would've been lost long ago... If you have a problem with boardsies don't post here. Simple!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

you're weird op may i suggest buying some maturity rather than downloading it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You can only fight the good fight for so long.

Stay on boards long enough and you'll turn into one of the high horse, straight as an arrow posters you detest so much despite the fact that if someone who really knew you saw your posts they wouldn't be able to read it because of the large mental image of HYPOCRITE floating in front of their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

seamus wrote: »
    There are laws and other precedents in place which prevent certain types of statements being made.

The reason there's no "legal advice" forum is because boards.ie is not a firm of solicitors. So if you receive bad legal advice, you could sue boards.ie and the courts would string the admins up by the testicles for pretending that they were qualified solicitors.

You can thank the bottom-feeding litigation-loving scumbags for that one.

By the same token, if someone comes on complaining about their car being clamped, you can't post, "Ah sure just get bolt cutters, take it off and **** it in the liffey", because there are laws against encouraging/telling people to break the law.

That one's just good sense. You're not in a private place now and when you post, you're speaking to a lot more people. You need to be aware of that.

You also have to remember that you're not down the pub with your sympathetic mates. If you get a speeding fine, you're not going to hear, "Ah those poxy guards, that's ****ing ridiculous", instead you're going to hear the truth - "You broke the law, pay the fine you moron".

wouldnt a forum with a disclaimer work? why has england got sites like consumeractiongroup.co.uk but ireland doesnt.. boards is big enough to warrent a legal advice section with a disclaimer built in. perhaps an "agree button" before every post?

as far as the regs go, it seems like they dont realise how popular boards is.. and they still want it to be their little thing and try to enforce there own high ground morals on the community.

its getting boring.. i posted once that i was gonna get a certain software worth a few grand. (all i said, no warez-speak). conversation turned to an assumption i was gonna get it illegally and people gave out to me... it wasn't mentioned once that it cud possibly be illegal. what do they know, maybe i won the lotto. good thread ruined cause it turned to self-righteous pricks givin out to me.. then one of those guys PM's me offering links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

It's pretty simple turf, all your bases belong to us.

Stop getting pwned.

You suck at the internets etc AND at paying bills!

Get some skillz or stfu

you're weird op may i suggest buying some maturity rather than downloading it?

there's nothing weird about an honest observation. and i am mature, or is 20 still a kid in ur eyes?

its getting boring.. i posted once that i was gonna get a certain software worth a few grand. (all i said, no warez-speak). conversation turned to an assumption i was gonna get it illegally and people gave out to me... it wasn't mentioned once that it cud possibly be illegal. what do they know, maybe i won the lotto. good thread ruined cause it turned to self-righteous pricks givin out to me.. then one of those guys PM's me offering links?
    Report the posts and/or clarify the situation. That's all you can do in that kind of situation.

Do you think we should welcome threads for bluetooth spam and keylogging advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

close to Athlone.
    ^

tryin to be proper?

:) Well spotted! Have updated that little void in my life.

there's nothing weird about an honest observation. and i am mature, or is 20 still a kid in ur eyes?

From this saddle, you're still a mere child.

ntlbell wrote: »
    It's pretty simple turf, all your bases belong to us.

Stop getting pwned.

You suck at the internets etc AND at paying bills!

Get some skillz or stfu

LOL

all your base are belong to us < fixed.

you know how stupid you are to get that quote wrong when you follow it wit "pwned", "internets" and "skillz".. dont try and burn me, you even know where pwned comes from?

teh haxorskillz noob pwnd cuz he cnt quote anime rite.. roftcopter. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

When you're older you'll realise that 20 is still too young to have an opinion. Now get a haircut you smelly hippy. I didn't die in the war so that you could have freedoms of teh interwebs!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

LOL

you know how stupid you are to get that quote wrong when you follow it wit "pwned", "internets" and "skillz".. dont try and burn me, you even know where pwned comes from?

And I hope that that's being ironic, otherwise you're just being like the people you're complaining about in you OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Wtf is a roftcopter?

Sherifu wrote: »
    Do you think we should welcome threads for bluetooth spam and keylogging advice?
    no that would ruin boards. when i say warez, i mean movie/software downloads.. and i dont think it should be discussed, i just think it shouldnt be frowned upon by people with their online moral high ground.

From this saddle, you're still a mere child.
    does ur saddle double as a commode?
    humanji wrote: »
    When you're older you'll realise that 20 is still too young to have an opinion. Now get a haircut you smelly hippy. I didn't die in the war so that you could have freedoms of teh interwebs!!!
    lol "i didn't die ina war" nice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Because people need something to give out about (I wouldn't pay much attention), the don't hate the player hate the game though (makes me cringe)

humanji wrote: »
    And I hope that that's being ironic, otherwise you're just being like the people you're complaining about in you OP.

very ironic :p none of my posts are written like that.. and to the guy how asked what roftcopter is.

its just kids internet lingo used by people who say "pwned", "skillz" etc.

rofl means "rolling on floor laughing".. jus the same as "lol". the copter was just added over the years.. check urban dictionary

colly10 wrote: »
    Because people need something to give out about (I wouldn't pay much attention), the don't hate the player hate the game though (makes me cringe)

quote..

I once went out with a complete bee-ach of a woman who would follow me everywhere and complain at what I did and I remember I was in a bar with some friends and out of the blue she showed up. I got a bit miffed and told here it was over, and of course got lots of abuse, it was then I delivered the most lame line ever, (don't hate the player, hate the game) everything was silent because people had been listening to her yelling at me and the place errupted into laughter.

if you were his friend and didnt like the girl.. wudnt you laugh? its perfect 80's cheese.

LOL

Oh my! you know what's happened don't you?

You've caught the proper!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

wouldnt a forum with a disclaimer work?
    No. Disclaimers of this kind are worthless.

very ironic :p none of my posts are written like that.. and to the guy how asked what roftcopter is.

rofl means "rolling on floor laughing".. jus the same as "lol". the copter was just added over the years.. check urban dictionary

You know lots of stuff about the internetz.

• Advertisement

I think he's pointing out the fact you wrote:

rofTcopter and not rofLcopter.

Anyway I agree with the OP, but it's the same on every forum.

roflcopter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

and to the guy how asked what roftcopter is.
    Oh Jesus, he did it again!

I know what rofLcopter is, I was mocking you for typing rofTcopter!!

Lol

Oh my! you know what's happened don't you?

You've caught the proper!! :eek::eek:
    did i take a moral high ground? no.. i burned you back. this thread is about more serious posts like the teen pregnancy example.

i like what you did tho, burning me back again.

Ah well let's not try to turn this into a flame war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

True OP...

We are all good legal citizens these days...

Argh and as for the thread on the dude who was still in bed at 8.40 and was gonna pick a naggin to drink at work.... I called him an employed fecking eejit! Hope he sees the sarcasm(me being unemployed and a bum)

feck, i blame all these impromptu beers:)

• Advertisement

so i spelt it roftcoptor twice.. fek. but i did get it right durin my explanation so i kinda saved myself :)

Ah well let's not try to turn this into a flame war.
    Gingers out now! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

quote..

I once went out with a complete bee-ach of a woman who would follow me everywhere and complain at what I did and I remember I was in a bar with some friends and out of the blue she showed up. I got a bit miffed and told here it was over, and of course got lots of abuse, it was then I delivered the most lame line ever, (don't hate the player, hate the game) everything was silent because people had been listening to her yelling at me and the place errupted into laughter.

if you were his friend and didnt like the girl.. wudnt you laugh? its perfect 80's cheese.

"don't hate the player - hate the game" is a douchebag comment. There's no two ways about it and it has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of sympathy for the nameless faceless girl involved. I kinda agree to a small extent about some of your original post but as soon as you try to make out that line is funny in any context (especially the one you did) it means I have to disagree with you on everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

and to the guy how asked what roftcopter is.

Oh roflcopter, with a fancy t instead of a plain old l, how cool is that?

There's not many left now...won't be long...

• Advertisement

"don't hate the player - hate the game" is a douchebag comment. There's no two ways about it. I kinda agree to a small extent about some of your original post but as soon as you try to make out that line is funny in any context (especially the one you did) it means I have to disagree with you on everything...

ah jus disagree with me on that... go on ;)

and i only think its funny cause its so bad it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

kaimera wrote: »
    Yes.

No.

ah jus disagree with me on that... go on ;)

and i only think its funny cause its so bad it works.

so on to more serious issue's

How's the ESB arrears?

Oh God, what have I done. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I agree with you Turf, but that's the magic of the forum man! You make nice digital friends and you meet a shower of useless self absorbed bell end gits as well. The aforementioned gits help you tell people apart and you spot the sound ones. Thus completeing the formula of making mates :D

Now that you mention it, there was a thread on PI about some girl having a disagreement with her parents and she threw water at her mother. Not a nice thing at all, well out of order. After a few posts saying it was bad, and advising an apology, any retard could get the message. But 3 pages later, there was just people saying she was a spoilt bitch and not really answering the issue.

Then again, that's me. I say we go and hire some fit prostitutes and shag them all then kill them and chop them up, stick them in the freezer and sell the body parts to dunnes. Adversise them as burgers. Then we'll have sex with those after we....STEAL THEM FROM THE SHOP!!!

*awaits angry mob*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

How's the ESB arrears?

I know you weren't asking me but I'de just like you to know that I genuinely am so cool that I sometimes pay my telephone bill a few weeks after they send me the second bill that says "please pay immediately". Just thought I'de throw that in there. So I may be proper, but proper gangster, yo. **** da PO-LICE! **** da telephone COM-PA-NYYY!

jesus I should go to bed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Wagon wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, there was a thread on PI about some girl having a disagreement with her parents and she threw water at her mother. Not a nice thing at all, well out of order. After a few posts saying it was bad, and advising an apology, any retard could get the message. But 3 pages later, there was just people saying she was a spoilt bitch and not really answering the issue.

I thought the OP was male:confused:
    Then again, that's me. I say we go and hire some fit prostitutes and shag them all then kill them and chop them up, stick them in the freezer and sell the body parts to dunnes. Adversise them as burgers. Then we'll have sex with those after we....STEAL THEM FROM THE SHOP!!!

*awaits angry mob*

Argh as for prostitutes... use them all yer want...
    Mates steal burgers(they put 20cent price stickers on them)
    Feck it... no one is purfect! heheheh:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If you're going to post stuff on the net you need to expect a range of reactions to it. Some will be good, some will be bad. Some you will like, some you won't.

The rule of thumb is, don't be such a ****ing pussy.

"The bad man gave out to me".

Boo di whoo whoo and such.:pac:

I know you weren't asking me but I'de just like you to know that I genuinely am so cool that I sometimes pay my telephone bill a few weeks after they send me the second bill that says "please pay immediately". Just thought I'de throw that in there. So I may be proper, but proper gangster, yo. **** da PO-LICE! **** da telephone COM-PA-NYYY!

jesus I should go to bed...

ORLY.

Lets take it to legal y0 and do this sh|t proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I thought the OP was male:confused:

:eek: Really? Did not pick up on that. Sounded like a 16 year old girly thing to do :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement