Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kontakt users, lend me your ears...

Options
  • 18-07-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

If anyone has found decent guitar instruments/samples for NI Kontakt 2, please let me know. Alternatively, a generic guitar sample set along with tips on how to make realistic, quality guitar sounds using Kontakt would be most welcome. Style isn't too important at the moment, they could be clean, distorted, electric, acoustic, chords, monophonic etc.

I know recording a real guitar would be far superior but I need to use Kontakt 2 for odd reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

If you can get it - Virtual guitarist/steinberg - then send the midi data there... about as real as it gets :) - i have'nt found many sample packs that are flexable enough for guitar (and make it 100% passable)

Worth checking out even if it's to use in future.... i use it and found my self jaw dropped... awesome/feeling/tonal beauty/ease of use

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Neurojazz wrote: »
    If you can get it - Virtual guitarist/steinberg - then send the midi data there... about as real as it gets :) - i have'nt found many sample packs that are flexable enough for guitar (and make it 100% passable)

Worth checking out even if it's to use in future.... i use it and found my self jaw dropped... awesome/feeling/tonal beauty/ease of use

Excellent - I see this product is a VST itself - do you know if it's sample set can be used in other sample players and if so can they still sound good? The fact that I have to use Kontakt is my only unshakeable requirement really...

I'm stumped as to why I can't get decent guitar sounds out of Kontakt. I've tried using guitars from the Kontakt library and Garritan Jazz/Big Band. Although guitar is notoriously hard to get right when using MIDI, I've heard some very decent renditions, even from the likes of Garageband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Just had a look at Virtual Guitarist 2 sample library and it's all wrapped up in .DAT files... bummer...

You can manipulate most things in it - it does use real samples that are used in a slice format, it take midi no problem and does some fantastic things... if you want to send me a chord prog i'll chuck it through VG2 and post an mp3 of it... it's very shocking, even the presets make putting together convincing human sounding chops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

If you absolutely need to use Kontakt, then check out Hans Zimmer Guitars. Some of the most amazing guitar samples I've ever heard, particularly the PRS leads. There's a large range of samples - both electric and acoustic - as well as various loops and effects. Only small downside is that the samples are in AKAI format rather than WAV.

Moving away from Kontakt, there are so many quality VSTs out there. A few worth mentioning:
    - MusicLab's RealGuitar 2 is one I've had a lot of joy with and use quite often. Nothing else comes close for acoutic guitar sounds.
    - Sampletank is filled with all kinds of quality electric and acoustic guitar samples (and every other instrument you can think of besides!).
    - Steinberg's Hypersonic has some decent electric guitar sounds too.

Another option for good electric guitar sounds is Guitar Rig 3: pipe the midi data through Kontakt (or any other VST) to produce a clean guitar sound and then apply Guitar Rig as an effect on the track (in Cubase SX for example). Haven't tried this myself but should work in theory.

Advertisement