Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo or VW

Options
  • 18-07-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Thinking of either getting the following:

2001-2003 VW passat 130BHP comfortline

or

2001-2003 Volvo S40 or S60 (think I prefer the look of the S60)

Can anyone give me advice. I'm thinking the VW would be easier to maintain, but I love all the extras with the Volvo....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

tell me what extras are on the Volvo and I'll tell you if they're on my 01 130Bhp Comfortline Passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Thinking of either getting the following:

2001-2003 VW passat 130BHP comfortline

or

2001-2003 Volvo S40 or S60 (think I prefer the look of the S60)

Can anyone give me advice. I'm thinking the VW would be easier to maintain, but I love all the extras with the Volvo....

ive a 1.9d S40 01.

with the miles i've driven on it in the last year and a half it has given very little trouble, has all the extras too and isn't too bad on diesel, depending on how its driven though.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Old model S40/V40 is a good, solid, safe and reliable car. They corner surprisingly well, though the ride is not the best. Very nippy and easy to steer though - and they are very good value. I have one, my sister has one, my brother has one...

I have not driven the S60 but I have driven a bigger 2001 S80. Very, very smooth and comfortable. I believe that there are possibly a few electronic things that can go wrong - they go through a lot of bulbs and every now and then you hear that they have switched into 'limp home' mode - that was the S80 though, maybe they had it sorted by the time the S60 came out. I would class it as a fairly desirable car - more than the passat.

Is it just me or does Volvo leather not wear too well though...

The VW is straight-forward. I can't stand the seats and interior in general. But that tdi lump keeps going and going - and I know people with 250,000 kms on the clock. Having said that, the diesel engine is straight off the farm yard and I can't stand that...

If it was me, I'd go for any of the more comfortable Volvos.

Advertisement