Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Gti Air-con Problem

Options
  • 18-07-2008 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

I have an 05 Mk V Gti and I'm having a big problem with my AC. I only have the standard 'Climatic' which has three temp settings (18,22,26 degrees I think). On a hot day, the AC is terrible at the lowest temp, feels like an asthmatic blowing luke warm air at me through a straw! I'd hoped that for the money I spent on the car, that the AC would work very well, esp since there's no sun roof. Can anyone tell me if they've heard of a similar problem? Is it possible that the AC coolant needs to be replaced or something and how much this might cost?

I've read the manual and it says to turn the AC on, you need to 'press the ECON button and the warning light should not be on' but the warning light always comes on when I hit that button.

Please help!!

Dex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sounds like your coolant needs toping up - its a simple job and you can do it yourself (you can buy the stuff in Halfords) but I would get a mechanic or AC expert since they can do a pressure test to make sure there are no leaks.

AFAIK if the ECON button is lit the A/C is OFF - you need to make sure it is not lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

ECON means that the Aircon is not using the compressor and so you wont get really cold air. The best setting is AUTO. It also sounds like your pollen filter is blocked. With a blocked or dirty pollen filter you will hear the aircon fan blasting air but will only feel a very small amount of air getting through at the vents. A replacement is about 10 quid and an easy DIY job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

Voxpop, I don't think there is an AUTO button on the Climatic version, only on the upgraded Climatronic one which I don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

If the "ECON" button stays lit all the time (even if try to turn it off), it means your air-con compressor is not working i'm afraid. It may be as simple as needing a service (re-gassing)... or possibly a replacement. Best to get the dealers to look at it.

Advertisement