Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just bought a juicer. any advice please

• 18-07-2008 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

if i have one meal a day and just have juice for all other meals is it a bad idea, will i loose waight fast or will the fructose cause havoc with my sugar levels. im looking at ways to drop body fat. i burn an estimated 5000 calories per week trough exersise but to no avail. my question is, is juicing a good way to go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Short answer: no. If you are going to juice, then I'd juice the vegetables that you normally avoid, as a way to get then down quickly. Juicing fruit just gives you all the calories without the fibre or the feeling of having eaten something nice.

Ok, I don't have a juicer, but if I did, I'd juice things like kale, drink the juice (quickly) then use the leftover pulp to make soup. I wouldn't juice fruit at all, I'd either eat it fresh or throw it into a blender with some whey to make a protein smoothie.

The fructose in fruit can be turned to fat very easily if your glycogen supplies are full (and unless you are low-carbing, they probably are). Fruit juice has a lot of fructose and calories for the amount of food you feel you are getting. You are much more likely to feel hungry soon after a glass of juice.

If you want a way to decrease calories, I'd suggest doubling the amount of green vegetables you eat. Green veg is very nutrient and fibre dense, but low calorie. More green veg means less room for junky food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

freebird23 wrote: »
    i burn an estimated 5000 calories per week trough exersise but to no avail.

Something's wrong there. Can you post up what you'd normally eat in a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

ok today i had two slices of multiseed toasted bread no butter and some mature chedder ( four thin slices) coffee and water during the day. then i had a small portion of balti curry with 1/2 cup of basmati rice and turky breast. later i will have scrambled eggs and some light yogurt. thats pritty much it for the day. i seem to loose the same stone and then it comes back on. i do martial arts twice a week and run 3/4 times a week. i have tried termobol from maximuscle and a whole range of other pills and potions but to no avail.

at one stage i did come in at almost 17 stone and for some one only 5ft 4" thats big but with cycling and other exersize i lost a lot of it quickly ( also on lipotrim for 6 weeks) got it down to 12 stone that was last year and a half .

Hard to be sure without knowing more about you, your stats and your routine, but I think you are severely under-eating. You'll only be able to stick to that diet for a certain length of time, then you'll go on a binge and be right back where you started.

If you are determined to lose weight fast, I'd aim for around 11 cals per pound of bodyweight (or 14 cals per pound of lean mass) PLUS at least one refeed or cheat meal a week. And bear in mind that that is a pretty tough cutting level, you are going to have to work to make sure you get in all your required proteins and necessary fat in those calories.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Celery and cucumber juice is the most effective natural laxative there is..:D

But other that that, I'd advise against a mostly juice diet for weightloss.. you'll be miserably hungry along with losing muscle from inadequate protein..

Have you ever tried cutting carbs? Not to very low levels, but reduce your carb intake to one small potato and a slice of 2 small sliced of spelt bread per day, replace the rest of your carbs with leafy veg, brocolli, cabbage and leeks. Eat as much fat and protein you want to feel satisfies not stuffed, but don't go hungry, especially with all the exercise you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

new data suggests that for women at least, juice consumption may contribute to an increased risk of diabetes.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesNews/Story?id=5403691&page=3

neddas wrote: »
    Celery and cucumber juice is the most effective natural laxative there is..:D
    does that work same as coffee, i find that coffee works pritty quick.

Never found that coffee (taken in liquid form) was a laxative. It has a slight contraceptive effect, but don't throw away your condoms,,,,,

just stepped on the scales ant now its 13st 13lb. up and down. today so far i ate
    breakfast
    2 slices brown grainery bread scrambled eggs *2 and 2 slices of ham
    dinner
    beef curry with aromatic basmatti rice small portion

i will go training for over an hour tonight run tomorow train the next night and so on. no loss of fat:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

Nope. I tried this and I can't survive on smoothies alone! And be warned, if you're left hungry then you're more than likely to binge... What I can do though, is substitute one meal a day with a smoothie. That's bearable and it does work. I used to just have a smoothie for lunch and I managed fine on that, couldn't do any more than that though! I find it best to just eat as much fresh fruit and veg as possible. I know that sounds clichéd, but it's true. Eating the fruit whole is more beneficial because it fills you up more.

Advertisement