Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Upgrading car. Diesel vs Petrol?

Options
  • 18-07-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

folks, i'm currently driving an old 99 Skoda Octavia 1.6 glx. No hassle with it (127k miles if anyone is interested in having a look at it - i'm in dublin). I now need a bigger boot, so would like an estate now. i'm looking at an 2003 octavia estate 1.9 td tomorrow. my typical mileage is low, but at the weekend, I normally do one longish drive (2-3 hours). I will also be looking at doing a drive around europe next year for a month's holiday.

i'm looking for advice as to whether diesel is a better option. I know very little about this - i haven't owned a diesel before, but i do notice that
    1) diesel is now more expensive
    2) people that do long distances frequently, generally prefer a diesel engine (am I way off in saying that?)

Are there any pitfalls in buying a diesel car? what do i need to watch out for? are they higher or lower maintenance than your bog standard petrol car (let's use the octavia as an example).

thanks for replies.

tomatoes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

folks, i'm currently driving an old 99 Skoda Octavia 1.6 glx. No hassle with it (127k miles if anyone is interested in having a look at it - i'm in dublin). I now need a bigger boot, so would like an estate now. i'm looking at an 2003 octavia estate 1.9 td tomorrow. my typical mileage is low, but at the weekend, I normally do one longish drive (2-3 hours). I will also be looking at doing a drive around europe next year for a month's holiday.

i'm looking for advice as to whether diesel is a better option. I know very little about this - i haven't owned a diesel before, but i do notice that
    2) people that do long distances frequently, generally prefer a diesel engine (am I way off in saying that?)

Are there any pitfalls in buying a diesel car? what do i need to watch out for? are they higher or lower maintenance than your bog standard petrol car (let's use the octavia as an example).

thanks for replies.

tomatoes.

Personally I went for diesel because i can claim the VAT back on it as it's a company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

2) people that do long distances frequently, generally prefer a diesel engine (am I way off in saying that? going with a diesel car will still outway everything else, in saying that, diesel is dearer than petrol at the minute but the pros of owning a diesel versus petrol car. i think theres no comparison and more friendly to the environment:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

My usual daily drive is a Berlingo diesel van and I find it very good on fuel - in the high 40s around Dublin. My wife has a 1.6 petrol automatic which returns around 25 mpg around the suburbs. It is better on a run but not as good as the Berlingo.

I am just back from holidays in south west France and I rented a VW Passat turbo diesel there. I did about 1,000 km and the on board computer gave a reading of 55mpg on average. On this basis I would go with a similar diesel engined car if I was changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Despite being more expensive now, the diesel engines are still a fair bit cheaper per mile for most cars.

Diesel engines also have a reputation for lasting longer without major failures than petrol equivalents.

Traditionally diesels would have had a reputation for being loud, rattly, and slow. None of these really apply to modern engines though. They can now be more comfortable on main road drives, as they can maintain speed at lower revs than a petrol equivalent. And finally, new ones (2008 on) are cheaper to buy and tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Traditionally diesels would have had a reputation for being loud, rattly, and slow. None of these really apply to modern engines though. They can now be more comfortable on main road drives, as they can maintain speed at lower revs than a petrol equivalent. And finally, new ones (2008 on) are cheaper to buy and tax.
    I don't know about that. I know somebody with a 07 s40 diesel, still sounds like your usual horrible diesel sound. I don't really look out for it, but if I am, diesel car's (new ones) still don't sound nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Tony Danza wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I know somebody with a 07 s40 diesel, still sounds like your usual horrible diesel sound. I don't really look out for it, but if I am, diesel car's (new ones) still don't sound nice.

Well,
    Whatever about engine noise. They certainly have got much quiter.
    Also
    The sound of the Cash register at the Pumps suddenly sound better as well. In the sence that you hear them less frequently over Petrol cars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I came across this blog post on the subject yesterday. It might help you to decide:

http://blogs.drive.com.au/2006/07/diesel_is_a_waste_of_money.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

1. Diesel engines are unpleasant
    2. Diesel engine pollute more
    3. The pay back on diesel from an economy point of view will take a very long time
    4. Diesels have more torque and are better for pulling trailers
    5. Diesel engined cars are typically slower
    6. Diesels are not drivers cars as they have small power bands and crappy throttle response
    7. Diesel engines without turbos should outlast equivalent petrol engines.
    8. Well-built petrol engines, like those by Toyota, Honda and others for example will outlast the rest of the rest of the car anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

vectra wrote: »
    Well,
    Whatever about engine noise. They certainly have got much quiter.
    Also
    The sound of the Cash register at the Pumps suddenly sound better as well. In the sence that you hear them less frequently over Petrol cars:D
    But what sort of a noise does the cash register make when you are buying the car? The OP isn't going to be buying a 08.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    1. Diesel engines are unpleasant
    2. Diesel engine pollute more
    3. The pay back on diesel from an economy point of view will take a very long time
    4. Diesels have more torque and are better for pulling trailers
    5. Diesel engined cars are typically slower
    6. Diesels are not drivers cars as they have small power bands and crappy throttle response
    7. Diesel engines without turbos should outlast equivalent petrol engines.
    8. Well-built petrol engines, like those by Toyota, Honda and others for example will outlast the rest of the rest of the car anyway
    Agree completely (not that much of this is really a matter of opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

"You cannot simply look at the premium on diesel models, do a quick calculation on fuel consumption to compare the petrol and diesel models, and decide that the premium cant be recovered so you shouldn't buy the diesel. Hang on a minute.........why does the premium need to be recovered within a defined period? The transaction is not a one off affair. The car eventually gets traded or sold, and as you have paid a higher price, the trade figure is actually higher than the petrol, so the premium is not actually lost. Sure, with depreciation some of the premium may be eroded and perhaps the cost of financing a slightly higher amount needs to be taken into consideration - but it certainly is not as simple as some believe.."
    Also, if I want a proper performance car (not just a "Hot Hatch") i.e. M3 or S4 or Boxter or whatever, yes of course, throttle responce, free revving engines and lots of cylinders are a MUST! Diesel comes second on this score.
    I whole heartly agree with this.
    However, I cannot afford a performance car for one. Also, out of the budget that I can afford my options are as follows:
    Fast old M3 or the like, or Diesel new(ish) car.
    Everyday commute, weekends away, family touring and just everyday driving.
    Under these circumstances I prefer (yes prefer) a diesel motor. I find them more ecnomical, and easier for everyday driving. They have more torque and more than enough grunt for the daily grind. I don't mind the diesel niose, (not half as bad as some on here would have you believe either), and I don't mind the little puff out the back either.
    So, don't start with the performance car stuff. I agree with you. Performance cars are performance cars. Diesel cars do not try to be performance cars. They are just diesel cars with different attractions for different people.
    Personaly, I am for the Diesel car, as long as it suits me.

• Advertisement

cashmni1 wrote: »
    "You cannot simply look at the premium on diesel models, do a quick calculation on fuel consumption to compare the petrol and diesel models, and decide that the premium cant be recovered so you shouldn't buy the diesel. Hang on a minute.........why does the premium need to be recovered within a defined period? The transaction is not a one off affair. The car eventually gets traded or sold, and as you have paid a higher price, the trade figure is actually higher than the petrol, so the premium is not actually lost. Sure, with depreciation some of the premium may be eroded and perhaps the cost of financing a slightly higher amount needs to be taken into consideration - but it certainly is not as simple as some believe.."
    Also, if I want a proper performance car (not just a "Hot Hatch") i.e. M3 or S4 or Boxter or whatever, yes of course, throttle responce, free revving engines and lots of cylinders are a MUST! Diesel comes second on this score.
    I whole heartly agree with this.
    However, I cannot afford a performance car for one. Also, out of the budget that I can afford my options are as follows:
    Fast old M3 or the like, or Diesel new(ish) car.
    Everyday commute, weekends away, family touring and just everyday driving.
    Under these circumstances I prefer (yes prefer) a diesel motor. I find them more ecnomical, and easier for everyday driving. They have more torque and more than enough grunt for the daily grind. I don't mind the diesel niose, (not half as bad as some on here would have you believe either), and I don't mind the little puff out the back either.
    So, don't start with the performance car stuff. I agree with you. Performance cars are performance cars. Diesel cars do not try to be performance cars. They are just diesel cars with different attractions for different people.
    Personaly, I am for the Diesel car, as long as it suits me.

Bloody hell..!!
    At last there is someone with a bit of sence on here when it comes to the Diesel Vs Petrol debate.

And again I think the perfect balance between the 2 would be a Skoda Octavia Vrs TDI :cool:

And again I think the perfect balance between the 2 would be a Skoda Octavia Vrs TDI :cool:

That has a tiny 2k rpm power band and a driver's car it will not be. May as well go whole hog and get a 110bhp 1.9 TDI.

SKODA_Octavia_RS-TDI2.jpg

That has a tiny 2k rpm power band and a driver's car it will not be. May as well go whole hog and get a 110bhp 1.9 TDI.

SKODA_Octavia_RS-TDI2.jpg

Huhh? :confused:

Now you totally lost me. :rolleyes:

Huhh? :confused:

Now you totally lost me. :rolleyes:
    That won't be a compromise between diesel and petrol. That's a more powerful diesel but still has all the characteristics of a diesel nonetheless.

That won't be a compromise between diesel and petrol. That's a more powerful diesel but still has all the characteristics of a diesel nonetheless.

Still a very desirable diesel though :cool:

Still a very desirable diesel though :cool:
    Can a diesel be desireable? I suppose Matt Simis' V10 gets close.

Can a diesel be desireable? I suppose Matt Simis' V10 gets close.

well,
    I suppose there are alway the "Odd Couple" that wouldnt consider one :rolleyes:

Advertisement