Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football this weekend 18-20/07/08

• 18-07-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

18 Jul 2008 Bray Wanderers 7:45 Galway United Carlisle Grounds
    18 Jul 2008 Derry City 7:45 Bohemians :cool: The Brandywell
    19 Jul 2008 UCD 6:00 Cobh Ramblers Belfield Bowl
    19 Jul 2008 Sligo Rovers 8:00 Finn Harps The Showgrounds
    20 Jul 2008 Drogheda United 3:00 Cork City United Park

Chance to go past Pat's... :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fri 18th - 8pm

Longford Town -v- Spurious Franchise - Flancare Park
    Wexford Youths -v- Waterford United - Football Complex
    Shelbourne -v- Dundalk - Tolka Park
    Monaghan United -v- Limerick 37 - Kingspan Century Park

Sat 19th - 7pm

Athlone Town -v- Kildare County - Lissywoollen

Top of the table clash in the First Division. Should be a shít match, as both teams are in a horrible run of form. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Monday I know, but technically part of the weekend schedule... :)

21 Jul 7.45PM

St. Patrick's Athletic v Shamrock Rovers Richmond Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Good to see the flexibility of your Fingal name-calling Des. Have to keep it fresh i suppose. :)

Try not to lose this weekend though or you might find us on level pegging with you.

Shiit match 0-0 perhaps? I think Fingal will probably draw with Longford too. 1-1 maybe. That'll leave Waterford to make the biggest strides at the top.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Good to see the flexibility of your Fingal name-calling Des. Have to keep it fresh i suppose. :)
    You a Franchise fan?

rofl.
    Try not to lose this weekend though or you might find us on level pegging with you.

Your "team" will never be at the level of Shelbourne FC, or any other football club in the eL, Leinster Senior or Brenfer Schoolboy.
    Shiit match 0-0 perhaps?
    There'll be goals, we're missing our two first choice centre halfs, I think Dundalk have the better chance tonight.
    I think Fingal will probably draw with Longford too. 1-1 maybe.
    Wouldn't be a bad result from our perspective.
    That'll leave Waterford to make the biggest strides at the top.
    lol

Well not strides for Waterford but 2 points more than everyone else if we all draw. This is my first year to support the Eircom League. Fingal roped me in. It didn't take long to learn more about other fans' perspectives along the way that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Serous question - what did Fingal do that no other el team could do to rope you into following the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Des wrote: »

Top of the table clash in the First Division. Should be a shít match, as both teams are in a horrible run of form. Can't wait.
    Well one of the teams are anyway! Dundalk look to be over their slump whilst Shels are still struggling at a vital stage of the season. Confident Dundalk will get at least a draw this evening. Looks like a 1-1 game but wouldn't be surprised if Dundalk managed to nick all 3 points. We tend to do well in Tolka. Come on d'town.

They were well covered in local papers which caught my attention in the first place. Then it was their goal to represent Fingal and future plans for a stadium and academy type centre near Swords where i happen to live. A lot of the other fans live in and around my particular part of Swords too. It feels like it could become more a local club to me than any others out there. I also like the idea of being a part of a club from it's very beginning and also the idea of a team coming from nothing to make an impact and having to fight their way to get there.

It's only now that i'm reading Eircom League stories in the papers that i spot the little ads that sometimes appear to advertise a game.

From what i learned of other clubs who failed, after i began going to games, i became a little apprehensive of the future. I avoid the debates on whether the team should exist or not. I'd rather let things take their natural course and we will see in 5 years if they still exist and if they're making fair progress. I'll support them until either they disappear, and if they don't, until i do.

If things do go bust Bohs are my second team though. ;) I couldn't possibly support Shels now in the future if it came to that unfortunate end after the stick they have given us.

Pighead wrote: »
    Well one of the teams are anyway! Dundalk look to be over their slump whilst Shels are still struggling at a vital stage of the season. Confident Dundalk will get at least a draw this evening. Looks like a 1-1 game but wouldn't be surprised if Dundalk managed to nick all 3 points. We tend to do well in Tolka. Come on d'town.

I dunno. Take away that one Limerick game and Shels' home record still reads great. Only two teams have scored against them at Tolka Park. They havn't become dead ducks at home because of one bad result there.

I dunno. Take away that one Limerick game and Shels' home record still reads great. Only two teams have scored against them at Tolka Park. They havn't become dead ducks at home because of one bad result there.
    It's not just the Limerick result. They haven't one a single game in their last 5 (3 defeats and 2 draws). Thats poor form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hoping for a big crowd at the sligo rovers v finn harps derby, seems we need all the money we can get at the mo

substantial funds are needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It's not just the Limerick result. They haven't one a single game in their last 5 (3 defeats and 2 draws). Thats poor form.

Bah! 2 points from 12, knocked out of the cup, and you think we're on a run of poor form? You poor deluded cretin!

:pac:

I be crappin' it tbfh! :(

Bah! 2 points from 12, knocked out of the cup, and you think we're on a run of poor form? You poor deluded cretin!

:pac:

I be crappin' it tbfh! :(
    Don't worry Einst. There's always next season. Should be a decent crowd this evening. It's the only game on in Dublin I think.

Don't worry Einst. There's always next season. Should be a decent crowd this evening. It's the only game on in Dublin I think.
    When has that ever guaranteed a crowd? :) Sure, next season will be spent trying to ensure we don't end up back down in this graveyard division. ;)

Looks like a 1-1 game but wouldn't be surprised if Dundalk managed to nick all 3 points.
    I'm telling you it won't be three points "nicked".

We are missing our two starting centre halfs.

If Keddy plays, well then Keely will have handed you lot the three points.

It's a lot worse than poor form.

If Dundalk had that kind of form, I'd say they'd bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Keddy may just play the game of his life tonight.He knows what's at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

It's a lot worse than poor form.

If Dundalk had that kind of form, I'd say they'd bottled it.

You have been saying we bottled it since we got knocked off the top....!

I'm not confident about tonight though. I predicted Shels to win and i'm sticking with that.
    Would love to win it though, seen as you took 3 points at Oriel...

My God Des, you must be one of the the most pessimistic football fan I've ever come across. Ok your two centre halfs are missing but you're lot are at home and my lot aren't exactly banging them in in lately. You know as well as I do that it will in all likeliness be a close game this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Three points for Galway tonight i hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

fuair gallimh cul "massive" sa deireadh noimead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i think alvin rouse the galway goalkeeper is my new hero! what a goalkeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

i think alvin rouse the galway goalkeeper is my new hero! what a goalkeeper

Indeed, easily man of the match.
    Lots of good chances for both sides, but we sure needed that win.

Shite game in Tolka tonight. Lots of aimless long balls by both sides. shels defenders dealt with the long balls up to little Mulvenna with ease.

Fcuk all goalmouth action either. Only times either keeper were made to work was from set pieces. Shels supporters must have been on a sponsored silence or something. Didn't here a peep out of them all game. Dundalk's made up for it though. Good atmosphere in the Riverside stand. Still top of the league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shite game in Tolka tonight. Lots of aimless long balls by both sides. shels defenders dealt with the long balls up to little Mulvenna with ease.

Fcuk all goalmouth action either. Only times either keeper were made to work was from set pieces. Shels supporters must have been on a sponsored silence or something. Didn't here a peep out of them all game. Dundalk's made up for it though. Good atmosphere in the Riverside stand. Still top of the league!

What can you say, are you surprised? Two sh*te team in a sh*te division. Two clubs who thought they might have been great once, but are now scrapping it out in the graveyard.

For you lot its a fight of attrition, for everyone else, its bloody hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

gimmick wrote: »
    What can you say, are you surprised? Two sh*te team in a sh*te division. Two clubs who thought they might have been great once, but are now scrapping it out in the graveyard.

Don't worry, Shels will still win the league again before Cork get around to it. Even if it does take 10 or so years.

Nice win for the Fingal. Closing right up now. Just waiting for the bottle/bad form few games like everyone else suffers to come now.

Harsh judgement on the division gimmick. I hope if your club ever find themselves in trouble people are sympathetic rather than finding the situation "hilarious". Support the Irish leagues more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

DSB wrote: »
    Don't worry, Shels will still win the league again before Cork get around to it. Even if it does take 10 or so years.

ooohh.. i'll take that bet.. first division doesnt count mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

fuair gallimh cul "massive" sa deireadh noimead.

The Galway goal was massive and red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Looks like Limerick are making a late push for promotion, if we keep this run going and the four teams above keep dropping points then we are well within a shot.

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    ooohh.. i'll take that bet.. first division doesnt count mind

We might be nowhere near winning another Premier. But thankfully, neither are Cork:D

Looks like Limerick are making a late push for promotion, if we keep this run going and the four teams above keep dropping points then we are well within a shot.

11 points behind the top side and 8 behind 4th place isn't really a push for promotion. Nice form though. Very impressive.

11 points behind the top side and 8 behind 4th place isn't really a push for promotion. Nice form though. Very impressive.

17 games to go though, and they're in some fine form... I wouldn't write anyone off just yet!

17 games to go though, and they're in some fine form... I wouldn't write anyone off just yet!

4 teams collapsing would be alot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I still havnt been to an irish league game. One of my mates has a shels season ticket and I have intended on goin with him as he goes to all of them with the ultras or some rubbish. would be a bit of craic

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I still havnt been to an irish league game. One of my mates has a shels season ticket and I have intended on goin with him as he goes to all of them with the ultras or some rubbish. would be a bit of craic

We're playing Leeds on Wednesday at Tolka if you want to come along to that. It'll probably only be a reserve team out there and won't be taken that seriously, so you're better off waiting for the Athlone game on the 1st of August before making a proper judgement on the matchday experience. Theres one against Celtic in between that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Come to Kildare on Friday. Great craic on the train:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Nice win for the Fingal. Closing right up now. Just waiting for the bottle/bad form few games like everyone else suffers to come now. Harsh judgement on the division gimmick. I hope if your club ever find themselves in trouble people are sympathetic rather than finding the situation "hilarious". Support the Irish leagues more.

It was a horrible match. Read a report that SF "outclassed" Longford - LOL there wasn't much class on that pitch, they got a fighting chance now that Shels/Dundalk are blowing it and Waterford in dire straights. We had 6 or 7 out between suspensions and injury's. Crap attendance, crap performances, it's tragic. There are no great teams in the first division - its sucks.:(

Latest score - Drogs 0-1 City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

We might be nowhere near winning another Premier. But thankfully, neither are Cork:D

ha!

good man, i needed a laugh.

just beat drogs 1-0, dave mooney pen. happy days.

so..

two points off the leaders and they come to turners cross next week? yeah, nowhere near winning the league kid...

pat dolan and steve coppell at the game, thank god dolan had nothing to do with mooney's contract...

Watch what happens if Mooney leaves.

• Advertisement

Watch what happens if Mooney leaves.

If? :pac:

IF my aunt had a d.........................

He ain't going anywhere.

If? :pac:
    IF my aunt had a d.........................

He ain't going anywhere.

It seems likely he is. Even if he stays, you won't finish ahead of Pats or Bohs though. If he gos, you'll be a mile off.

Theres that word again. Twice.

he stated in the papers on Friday he hs no desire to go anywhere for the time being. Reading between the lines, to me, that means he will see out the season at least. And if we were to lose him, we are most certainly looking at the first €1m+ transfer.

Love the way we're being written off, 2 games in hand with 1st playing 3rd next week, our next 3 games are all home to UCD, Cobh and Rovers.

bohsman wrote: »
    Love the way we're being written off, 2 games in hand with 1st playing 3rd next week, our next 3 games are all home to UCD, Cobh and Rovers.

Who is writing Bohs off?

Roar for one but MNS etc hardly mention us, suits me fine.

SPA 1 - 1 Shams.

Bring on Sunday. Huge 6 pointer.

Do you know what else is hilarious? The lack of meaningful silverware in your lots trophy cabinet. Two league titles in the clubs entire history despite the huge size of the county implies one thing to Pighead.

Bottlers.

The bleedin' cheek of a Dundalker calling anyone else bottlers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement