Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further improving my skills and abilities

Options
  • 18-07-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

1st of only found this forum earlier today, prob better than the arts/architecture one :p

So i just finished my degree in Arch Tech. Been searching for work since then, finally found something where i'll be doing some nixers for a guy who do mainly attic conversions and extensions.

This being part time sort of I figure i could use the extra free time to learn something new or advance my self further some where.

I was thinking maybe in doing tutorials for 3dsmax and possibly photoshop. I'm quite (very) confident with cad, been using it since before college. I'm pretty handy with 3D cad, i quite like it actually, but there's room for me to improve there. I can do a few bits and pieces in PS but also much room for improvement there. I've used microstation for 3 months, i've forgotten all this by now I reckon.

For what ever reason i never liked sketchup, fair enough maybe i didnt give it much of a chance, i couldn't get it to do what i wanted it to do unlike with 3d cad which i actually find easier!

There's also the environmental side of everything in construction which is interesting, but where do I start!

So basically im looking for something to do instead of browsing the net all day, looking for a car which i can't afford anyway and bumming around doing nothing anyway.

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

If you can afford it (€2k) train to become a BER assessor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I don't have 2k, just finished college, owe people money, limited income etc...

I've taught about it but my cousin done it and he wasn't to impressed with it, maybe due to him not needing/getting use of it in his field of work. I'm not sure why exactly.

Will look into it, might be worthy of a loan...

I understand .

If you are based around Dublin , these informal , and free , gatherings are VERY good .

http://www.constructireland.ie/vb/showthread.php?t=477

Thats interesting, i think I'll attend that. Gotta get myself a diary i think to remember all these appointments and call i have to make.

It's things like that i wasn't even aware of that they existed!

What about informing myself with regards to computer related applications commonly used in offices, computer related is where the majority of my 2000 post where generated (i never realized i was at over 2000!)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Check out the whole Building Information Modelling scene ... that's where the future lies.

On the more basic side of things, get on site with the guy you're going to be working for and see how stuff is actually knocked down and put back together. This will be invaluable to you going forward, and conversions and extensions are a great way to learn , as there's no end of 'on site' problems thrown up when opening up is carried out. The more you see in reality, the better you'll be able to deal with design and detialing problems 'on screen' as they come up and head them off before they get to site.

• Advertisement

I think what he has in mind is for me to do surveys and drawings of them as well as go out on site and meet the client etc, in the long run at least.

Forgot about BIM, will keep it in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

3d images are becoming more and more common, even for rural one off houses!. They can really help sell a design.

Maybe you could find a market to express your talents. Start at a part-time basis and see how it goes. Cad and email to save on costs. Tech send u a 2d house u send Tech a 3d design, Tech send u your fee (or lodges directly to your account before you send email)

Get on site as much as possible, there is no better teacher than site.

Seeing it in practice and drawing it can be very different. Its a great help if you have done it on site, then as you design or draw it, you remember the practicality of doing it.

You'll understand how difficult it can be to do, in reality. See it from the blocklayers, carpenter, roofer, plasterers point of view.

RKQ wrote: »
    You'll understand how difficult it can be to do, in reality. See it from the blocklayers, carpenter, roofer, plasterers point of view.

Naaah ! If I can draw it .... they can build it :D

Advertisement