Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber sash windows

• 18-07-2008 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

We recently got planning permission which had 1 stipulation which caused a problem...timber sash windows. It was decided not to appeal in case the whole thing got knocked back. The quotes are in now for the windows and timber frame sliding sash are 3 times more expensive than PCV and the 1 month appeal time is up.

Has anyone got any ideas what can be done in this situation. Ive heard that some people have put timber sash at the front of the house and PCV elsewhere.

If some of the technicalities of what Ive just posted are incorrect please don't hammer me...I am a planning permission novice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First thing you should do is to talk this over with your architect/engineer/technician and maybe be guided by them. The planning authority must have had a very good reason for imposing this condition. Im assuming that there are other older builders/houses adjacent to your site or maybe even a protected structure. They do try to ensure that any new developments are sympathetic to the immediate environment and landscape or streetscape.

Maybe make an appointment to see the planner who dealt with the application and put forward your suggestion about timber windows to front and PVC to rear. See what reaction you get to that.

As you have missed the appeal period you could also make a seperate planning application to have this this condition overturned. Again you or your agent should talk to the planners first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Do not mean to come across smart but I think the planning authority can not tell you how your windows should function. They may tell you how your windows should look and rightly tell you not to use PVC, however they should not tell you how they should operate! Sliding sash is an old technology and based on friction and counter weight, they are draughty as hell and never perform as well as modern double rebate windows, although both can look identical. You should buy sash 'type' tilt and turn windows in a fingerjointed pine factory painted finish. You will be surprised how well they perform, look and are very affordable. Modern paint technology in a factory environment really leaves almost no maintenence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree blackiebest, new timber windows can be great and look much better than upvc.
    There are a number of companies that can repair timber sash windows, but its expensive.
    I also know of a building to be demolished with at least 20 timber sash windows ( 1100 wide by 2100mm high approx) complete with shutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Sliding sash is an old technology and based on friction and counter weight, they are draughty as hell and never perform as well as modern double rebate windows, although both can look identical. You should buy sash 'type' tilt and turn windows in a fingerjointed pine factory painted finish. You will be surprised how well they perform, look and are very affordable. Modern paint technology in a factory environment really leaves almost no maintenence.

I work in the area of window restoration and what you say offends me.

If it was possible I'd bring you to one of my customers and show you how well sash windows should work after being draught-proofed and restored just to make you see the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Monty Gerhardy

S.L.F wrote: »
    I work in the area of window restoration and what you say offends me.

If it was possible I'd bring you to one of my customers and show you how well sash windows should work after being draught-proofed and restored just to make you see the light.

What he writes is rubbish on a number of counts. He’s obviously unfamiliar with block & tackle balances never mind a vertical slider of the type produced by <SNIP>. Saying they look identical is farcical. To state that a timber window, even if fully factory finished, “leaves almost no maintenance” is misleading to put it mildly. From previous posts it’s obvious that this character is involved in selling windows incredible though that may seem. On other boards.ie forums there is no problem naming and shaming the charlatans – look at the flak the telcos cop on the tech boards when they provide a shoddy service. For some reason though it provides a pavlovian response here.

Monty

• Advertisement

For those comments you can post on other forums but you wont post here again until such time as you agree to abide by the charter and retract the accusation in your last line.

I work in the area of window restoration
    I trust we wont see this comment posted again as quite frankly you have over-indulged in our leniency.

If you want to advertise then contact one of the admins and pay for it.

If you wish to contribute to the forum then by all means do so but we dont need to see the above comment in every post.

muffler wrote: »
    I trust we wont see this comment posted again as quite frankly you have over-indulged in our leniency.

If you want to advertise then contact one of the admins and pay for it.

If you wish to contribute to the forum then by all means do so but we dont need to see the above comment in every post.

Sorry muffler won't happen again,

I was just trying to emphisise that I know what I'm talking about.

Sorry muffler won't happen again,

I was just trying to emphisise that I know what I'm talking about.
    No problems SLF. I think we all know what you do for a living by now. ;)

Nice to see an alternative opinion to PVC windows so keep posting and enjoy the forum.

What he writes is rubbish on a number of counts. He’s obviously unfamiliar with block & tackle balances never mind a vertical slider of the type produced by <SNIP>. Saying they look identical is farcical. To state that a timber window, even if fully factory finished, “leaves almost no maintenance” is misleading to put it mildly. From previous posts it’s obvious that this character is involved in selling windows incredible though that may seem. On other boards.ie forums there is no problem naming and shaming the charlatans – look at the flak the telcos cop on the tech boards when they provide a shoddy service. For some reason though it provides a pavlovian response here.

Monty

I don't sell windows and never have.:mad:

Windows made 200 years ago have stood the test of time, your new technology is in its infancy.

Sash windows made in the 70's are rotting in their frames, uPVC windows made 20 years ago are being torn out because they don't work or just look plain terrible, things have not improved that much since.

Regarding the sash slider type I believe the company who import them get them from the USA and are based not too far away from Gorey.

The man I normally deal with from that company is called Leo.
    No problems SLF. I think we all know what you do for a living by now. ;)

Are you sure I think there's a guy down the back who hasn't heard yet and looks like he wants to tear his beautiful windows out and wants to put in uPVC cr@p.:D
    Nice to see an alternative opinion to PVC windows so keep posting and enjoy the forum.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement