Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one step closer to ps3 homebrew

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Question is, will you update your firmware now? Seems like the time to not update tbh.
    Although i do hear things about the hypervisior needing keys....(for any sort of real exploit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

With my amazing time-machine, I predict 2.42FW next week on PSN.

Funny thing is, the announcement thread was deleted on Ps3hax, then the server was hacked (lol?) and now the message is that the forums should be back up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ongarite wrote: »
    With my amazing time-machine, I predict 2.42FW next week on PSN.

http://ps3.qj.net/PS3-firmware-2-42-is-here-UPDATE-2/pg/49/aid/122698

dead right, good news is that sony havent blocked this method of homebrew :)

Ahhh they'd have you think that!!! if Sony were smart they would remove any possible overflow exploits or other exploits that would have given access to the kernel or fimware pre-2.42, and leave the actual "method" working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

weeder wrote: »
    http://ps3.qj.net/Java-Homebrew-launched-from-XMB-PS3-homebrew-coming-soon-/pg/49/aid/122306

seems to be legit,didnt think any part of the ps3 firmware had java runtime tbh

Actually, it does. To be more precise, the BluRay side does. That's what allows the interactive content on BluRay content, which is what this "exploit" takes advantage of. That is why you have to craft your homebrew in a certain way and access it from the Video menu and not the Game menu.

In effect, the Homebrew IS the video interactive content.

I don't think Java runtime is accessable for other things. Actually, I'm pretty sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It will be interesting to see when they do crack the PS3, whether or not they'll be able to crack the region lock in relation to servers that you play on. I'm sure if they do crack it, there will be a flood of games from all regions so it's purely curiousity on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Hacker manages to get backups running on PS3, illegally and legally?
    dot_clear.gif
    Reports are coming in that a hacker has managed to get backups running on the PS3 in both illegal and legal methods. His video shows Warhawk running from HDD and to do the hack legally, you need a 60GB HDD and original disc, he says 3 games are confirmed to boot under this method (disc doesn't need to be inserted while playing) and speculates that many more will work.

quote:

The video shows:

- Warhawk running from HDD

- no PKG version

- no WH disc while WH is running

- Motorstorm running as proxy disc

- legal way

I wont explain the details here till the project is finished 100%, also cuz many devs want to take a look at first and not get it patched that fast. I can say that if all will work like I want it to you'll need:

- "special" game dump of the game you want to play from HDD

- one (any) original bd game

- 2x minimum 60GB HDD's (illegal way - it worx but its not allowed in most countrys - its working like a packed game on psp memory stick)

OR

-1 60GB HDD + original disc (legal way - no need to be inserted while playing)

Im using newest firmware PAL 60GB SKU. 3 games tested yet - working.
    Games which should be possible from the knowledge i got yet:

- Warhawk
    - Motorstorm
    - Resistance
    - GT5
    - COD3

I cant check more atm, as I dont have else here. The final way will be a bit different than the video shows. Even there are 2 different ways then to do it, thats because there are 2 different groups of games. One can be done with 1 HDD but then you need the original disk of the game.

i dont support piracy, this is just to safe your disks

THIS IS JUST A PROOF OF CONCEPT - NOT A FINISHED PROJECT!!!

if video doesnt work as stream just download it:

http://www.nera-studios.eu/ps3.MOV

better quality vid will come when i get new hdd + repaired hdtv

I hope you see theres no hidden PKG (game list is shown), no hidden disk (i insert motorstorm). At the end of the video i just wanted to show its no test unit --> watch the settings.

Sorry for bad TV quality, my HDTV just exploded and i need to use SDTV for 2 weeks now

if there are any questions, you can ask but i dont say ill answer all.
    http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=30558

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIV9LOyqlgQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

That sounds really good. The big thing with it is whether or not you can play online with it. I reckon when it's made public you won't see that many people go ahead with it as the cost of a blu-ray writer will not be worth it.

Its not as good as it sounds. It doesn't in any way break the Sony hypervisor security in any way and doesn't allow unsigned code to be run.
    It works by using bug in save game states in 5 PS3 games, ONLY these games can be played using this method.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Its not as good as it sounds. It doesn't in any way break the Sony hypervisor security in any way and doesn't allow unsigned code to be run.
    It works by using bug in save game states in 5 PS3 games, ONLY these games can be played using this method.

And I assume that these 5 games will be patched pretty quickly therefore online play isn't an option.

I think I'd prefare if the PS3 wasn't hacked in a way that could allow "backups" to be played. However, I'd live to be able to run homebrew on it, or even create some myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

is it not too difficult to program to ever see a real strong homebrew scene?

is it not too difficult to program to ever see a real strong homebrew scene?

It may be difficult to program, but so was programming for the PC when I first started. Yes, there is a HUGE learning curve, but not impossible.

The problem is the hypervisor security which both 360 and PS3 have. Both of these are nearly fool-proof security methods that don't allow any unsigned or malicious code to be run.
    360 has been out nearly 3yrs and PS3 nearly 2yrs with no way around the hypervisor security.

The 360 seemed to be out for much longer before the ps3. Man there were so many fakes and false hope given for the 360 (and later the ps3). I suppose we all thought that it would have been simple, efficient and greater than last gen homebrew.

But whats really that good as homebrew? Emulators: doable on PSP,PS2,Xbox,Gamecube(?) etc.. User created remakes of games or original concepts. PS3 media centre? I think tversity is good enough really. Better to have RSX linux access than PS3 OS access IMO . But...some of us dont have big hard drives.

That BD-J Nes emulator is good. Was playing super mario 3 perfectly. Frameskip is a bit off and theres no sound. Other than that its great. Fook deadulus and its fanbois, this guy made a java emulator within weeks of the BD-J hack. And it works :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

how to perform the PS3 backups hack
    Heres what you need to do!

1.You need two hds that are the same size eg 80gb x2 60gb x2 having problems with 40gig at the moment but need more testing.

2.Insert one of the Hdd into the ps3 and format it, then install Warhawk original disc fully and restart the ps3.

3.Now turn off your PS3 and pull out the Hdd

((Now you need winhex to clone the PS3 hdd onto your other hdd))

4.Ok after a few hours (about 2hrs depending on hdd size) of copying instert the non clone hdd back into the PS3 and switch on

5.Now instert Original Warhawk Disc and wait for the .png to show

6.right pull the Ps3 Hdd and swap the warhawk disc with Original motorstorm disc then instert your cloned hdd into your ps3

7.You should now see the ps3 logo on screen

8.And warhawk should start!

9.also try cod3/gtp had some luck with this, we have rls this so you can also test, if we had rls a video it would be flammed!

10. please dont flame until you try this is work in progress and will take some time but its an expliot!

You will need this....

Original Motorstorm Disc (proxey), had some luck with a cloned copy but needs more testing!

Original Warhawk Disc not fully tested downloaded yet! due to this being work in progress!

2 hdd ( i used 2 80gb)

Advertisement