Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old windows-is skip only option?

Options
  • 18-07-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be replacing 20 odd windows, double glazed pvc, and it seems a shame to just throw them in the skip. Does anyone know if there is a market for this kind of stuff, I also have bathroom fittings that wil be meeting the same fate. Is there a charity that will ship them off to 3rd world countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would have thought that old windows would be recycled, maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

seamus wrote: »
    I would have thought that old windows would be recycled, maybe I'm wrong.
    There will always be people looking for windows for sheds, garages etc. Try advertising them for sale in some of the local free ads papers or maybe over in adverts.ie

I'll move this to DIY as it will generate more interest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Build yourself a greenhouse out of them (or some cold frames)!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I may be interested in the likes .....Ahem.... if you want to pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

If you crack one, you won't be able to get rid of it.
    I did and my local dump (local authority recycling facility) wouldn't take the glass. You can't put it in a bottle bank and you can't put it in household rubbish.
    I told the council that I was going to put it in the sea - offshore - and they nearly had a seizure. Finally, they suggested that I find "a friendly local glazier" and ask him to take it away. I checked "friendly local glaziers" in the Golden Pages to no avail.
    A friend suggested I put the broken pieces in a cement mixture and grind them back into sand. DON'T TRY THIS. Shards of glass flew in every direction. There is a terrible noise and after 20 minutes, I had smaller pieces of glass.
    And the final solution? Underneath the decking. One day an archaeologist can put the pieces together again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

If you just want to get rid of them, you could try putting them up on jumbletown and see if anyone wants them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Gaothfar wrote: »
    If you crack one, you won't be able to get rid of it.
    I did and my local dump (local authority recycling facility) wouldn't take the glass. You can't put it in a bottle bank and you can't put it in household rubbish.
    I told the council that I was going to put it in the sea - offshore - and they nearly had a seizure. Finally, they suggested that I find "a friendly local glazier" and ask him to take it away. I checked "friendly local glaziers" in the Golden Pages to no avail.
    A friend suggested I put the broken pieces in a cement mixture and grind them back into sand. DON'T TRY THIS. Shards of glass flew in every direction. There is a terrible noise and after 20 minutes, I had smaller pieces of glass.
    And the final solution? Underneath the decking. One day an archaeologist can put the pieces together again.

brilliant :D

Advertisement