Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyacinth Macaw

Options
  • 18-07-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Would anybody know we're I could adopt or purchase or whatever a Hyacinth Macaw, there's a lot of adds about but everyone I've contacted either has'nt replied or is obviously a scam.

Thanks for any help :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Contact eddie drew in copsewood aviaries... he may be able to put you in touch with someone. You may have to go to belgium, holland or uk where there are hyacinth breeders. I take it you know that they cost between €13,000 and €15,000 for a handreared bird?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Benferris00

Rory123 wrote: »
    Contact eddie drew in copsewood aviaries... he may be able to put you in touch with someone. You may have to go to belgium, holland or uk where there are hyacinth breeders. I take it you know that they cost between €13,000 and €15,000 for a handreared bird?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do be careful where you get the bird from, they will need an entire room. If you are getting a lone bird it will need a lot of attention also costs a lot to keep them busy. You my also need to make a will as they live a long time. You might know all this already so just ignore me if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Be very careful where you are getting any of these companion birds. A lot of stock being brought in from Belgium is heavily infected with things like beak and feather disease and the stress of travelling will bring it on.

You will not get any garuantees in general from anyone that is importing them. I can make an enquiry for you to find out if I know of a breeder over here if you like. Considering the sort of money you will pay you should be getting some sort of garuantees. Also I think you need a CITES cert for a Hyacinth Macaw. You should definitely google it to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

where ever you get it, it must come with papers, as for breeders if it were me id go for irish or uk bred. i know there was a breeder in ireland but wheither he still does it or not i dont know. im sure you'll find somewhere but make sure that the breeder is either willing to test the birds for disease or they will pay your vet fees if you must do it and the bird tests positive for anything, when your talkin that much money you dont want to be getting a bird infected with beak and feather like carwash said.. arent macaws in general more prone to a certain disease ( cant think of the name) than beak and feather aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I will enquire on monday about a possible breeder in Ireland.

.. arent macaws in general more prone to a certain disease ( cant think of the name) than beak and feather aswell?

psittacosis (aka bird flu)?

Benferris00, I've been very interested in hyacinths all my life although I've never seen one!... Just wondering what is your motivation to spend such a phenominal (IMO) amount of money on a pet.

... I don't think you are crazy, I'm just interested! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The last breeding pair I heard of in the UK were selling for £30k! That's serious money for a bird that can drop down dead!

One of the big bird shows in the UK such as the Stafford show would be a good place to fine breeders etc.

They are under cites so must have a certificate to prove they are captive bred etc. I would also want blood tests done to check there was no disease or health problems etc.

Would love to see one in real life but would never wish to own birds that expensive! I want a pair of green wings but I will be saving for a while me thinks! I also need an older male blue & gold & am saving for that too!

I would say if you are serious about the hyacinth you need a breeding pair not a single bird (just my opinion!)

I agree with Bond... The most I think I could spend on a bird is what I spent on, Fergal Sharkey, my Senegal.

I love looking at hyacinth photos....
    hyacinth-macaw.jpg
    HyacinthMacaw1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Benferris00

Rory123 wrote: »
    psittacosis (aka bird flu)?

Benferris00, I've been very interested in hyacinths all my life although I've never seen one!... Just wondering what is your motivation to spend such a phenominal (IMO) amount of money on a pet.

... I don't think you are crazy, I'm just interested! :)

I suppose I am crazy and secondly I just think they are an incredible animal but 30K, no chance.

I do know people but I just thought I'd throw it out there..,

• Advertisement
Advertisement