Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worth buying another 8800 GTS 640mb?

Options
  • 18-07-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, built a new machine last Oct or so, bfg 680i, bfg OC2 8800gts 640mb etc with the aim of buying another card of the same this year when prices came down a little.

Very naive to think this would happen as of course these are now obsolete, the few unsold cards you can find are ridiculously overpriced and so ebay, adverts.ie or the like is the only recourse. I've found something similar on ebay -> http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270254808307&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

which with postage would set me back about €170.

So a few questions, firstly would this be compatible with the card I already have -> http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr88640gtsoc2e.aspx ?

Secondly would this make financial sense or should I just stick my card on ebay and upgrade to a single 9800 gtx ?

Finally I've got a 20" screen so would a new card either sli or upgrade make a noticeable difference. Been happy with the performance of the8800gts 640 to date, just got the itch to upgrade I guess ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would be a nice increase in performance, but at that price it would be a bad deal - their value is only about 120 euro, I see ones selling for 90-110 US dollars range all the time on Guru3D for example.

Sell your current one for about 120, and with that plus the 170 you were willing to spend you will easily get the monster HD4870 that will eat any game on a 20" monitor, and with a hefty amount of change.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

It would be a nice increase in performance, but at that price it would be a bad deal - their value is only about 120 euro, I see ones selling for 90-110 US dollars range all the time on Guru3D for example.

Sell your current one for about 120, and with that plus the 170 you were willing to spend you will easily get the monster HD4870 that will eat any game on a 20" monitor, and with a hefty amount of change.

I concur :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

You can buy a 4850 new for that price which would bit faster than a 8800GTS 640mb...

Def get the 4870.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have to agree, I have a 4870 and its a monster for €210, demolishes any game at 1920x1200qa nd handles Crysis pretty nicely for a Nvidia optimised game. Be mad to buy another GTS with the performance and value of Ati ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Had a look at the 4870 and have to admit it does look tasty. Haven't been paying too much attention to ATI the last 2 years so good to see them back on form!

Only problem with this card would be the fact I've got a 680i board, always planned to do a cheap upgrade by going sli. With this in mind would it still make sense to get an ati card over a nvidia one?

Cheers

P.S @PogMoThoin where did you pick one up for 210? what make was it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

DamoKen wrote: »
    P.S @PogMoThoin where did you pick one up for 210? what make was it?

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22351&agid=717
    Shipping is €30 per order tho, I ordered a few bits for myself and friends with it to justify the shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

DamoKen,

I'm in the exact same boat as you man, I have a BFG 8800 GTS and BFG 680i SLI mobo and was planning to buy a second 8800GTS when the price came down.
    I think now tho I'm going to either get the 4870 X2 next month or mayb see if Nvidia will drop the prices on their 260 or 280 next month in response to Ati's 4870 X2 release which is supposed to push the 280 all the way.
    You've waited this long so wats 3 or 4 more weeks goin to matter.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

DamoKen,

I'm in the exact same boat as you man, I have a BFG 8800 GTS and BFG 680i SLI mobo and was planning to buy a second 8800GTS when the price came down.
    I think now tho I'm going to either get the 4870 X2 next month or mayb see if Nvidia will drop the prices on their 260 or 280 next month in response to Ati's 4870 X2 release which is supposed to push the 280 all the way.
    You've waited this long so wats 3 or 4 more weeks goin to matter.......

good point Alan, wasn't planning on getting it until payday after this anyway so wait and see how the prices go

cheers :)

Advertisement