Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Norman if its a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Was in the local park today. Woman calls to her child " William, tell Harry it's time to go" I really hope they aren't brothers:p

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Melion wrote: »
    Jesus, she's moved onto Freya for a girl. Anyone else think its awful?

Ha ha..... I actually think it's a beautiful name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mumof2maybe3

Freya is the make of bra for large breasted ladies!!! I like the name though but would just get an image of big boobies all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Norman if its a girl.

You mean 'Norma' right :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

girls = erin, evelyn, kayleigh, erica

boys = dylan, dean, declan, kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Hi
    Baby due in 6 weeks and we haven't really discussed names yet ! :eek:

This is the 4th baby, so the novelty kinda fades.
    We have decided on Odhran (pronounced oran) for a boy but are stuck on girls names.

Does anyone remember the Irish folklore story about the beautiful Deirdre that was locked away by the King cause he wanted to marry her when she got older only to be rescued by the warrior Naoise?

Well I love the name Naoise, and a friend recently told me she has a girl called Naoise in her class so its not exclusively a boys name.

Anyone else seen it used for girls and not boys?

newwifey wrote: »
    Well I love the name Naoise, and a friend recently told me she has a girl called Naoise in her class so its not exclusively a boys name.

Please excuse my ignorance re Irish names, but how do you pronounce 'Naoise'? is it like 'Noise' or is it more like 'Daisy' with an N instead of the letter D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sixx

Its 'Knee-Sha' as in your knee, and 'sha' as in the way you'd say yes in Irish... I think I'm making that more confusing, am I???!!! :D I've heard of boys with that name but not a girl, but there are a lot of Irish names that can be used for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Yes Sixx has it.
    Its pronounced like nee-sha.
    Should imagine there would be very few girls with the name though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 langers

Jamie & Gavin for a boy.
    Ailbhe & Tara for a girl.

langers wrote: »
    Jamie & Gavin for a boy.
    Ailbhe & Tara for a girl.

Ailbhe (Alaby)? how do you pronounce it > Sorry, I need another prompt!

P.S. I love the names Tara, Gavin, & Jamie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Camelot wrote: »
    Ailbhe (Alaby)? how do you pronounce it > Sorry, I need another prompt!

To the best of my knowledge its pronounced Al-va. Could be wrong though!

I took Aidan for my little man, no other name was to be discussed - my OHs dad died around the time he was concieved. But I love the name regardless so I didn't mind.

If he had been a girl it was a toss up between Aisling and Clodagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge its pronounced Al-va. Could be wrong though!

I took Aidan for my little man, no other name was to be discussed - my OHs dad died around the time he was concieved. But I love the name regardless so I didn't mind.

If he had been a girl it was a toss up between Aisling and Clodagh

Yep it's Al-va, I know an Ailbhe and two Naoise's (both girls). I think they are lovely names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

I think it's sad when someone names a child after a celebrity's child - I overheard a woman in the shop calling her child - "Jayden come here!" after one of Britney's offspring.

Pop culture names have a very limited shelf-life. I like Irish names or something relating to your family or OH's family - not something I heard on the tv or read in Heat magazine.

For the record, Ailbhe is a lovely name.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

At the moment ours stand at Ali, Chloe or Danielle for a girl... I'm not too sure about Danielle, that's the OH's one. I don't hate it but I'm not sure I love it either.

Boys... Sean or Jack... the middle name will be Donal because both my grandparents are Donal.

We've stopped talking about it really though because we're planning on finding out the sex at the 3D so discussions are on hold until after that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I've only heard Naoise used as a girls name - so it's not a totally out there idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Monkey61 wrote: »
    I've only heard Naoise used as a girls name - so it's not a totally out there idea.
    Historically it is a boys name
    but now a days it is used for both.

I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Here's our list so please comment as we're not sure:

Boys:
    Jack
    Callum
    Jamie

Girls:
    Isabelle
    Lauren
    Danielle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

a little girl's name i heard today,loved it! Taquira

like the girl's names more than the boys lemlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Pop culture names have a very limited shelf-life. I like Irish names or something relating to your family or OH's family - not something I heard on the tv or read in Heat magazine.

I agree, one good idea is using one your own grandparent surnames/maiden names. Mine for example - Ryan for a boy and Casey for a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My daughters name is ZOE and I love it 'cos there are not many of them around.......................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So we found out we're having a little girl so the names have been narrowed down to just 2.

Its going to be either Alyssa or Taryn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I always thought when I got pregnant that I'd have a list of like 100 names, but I've gone off all the names I used to like except Saoirse. I like how it sounds and it has a nice meaning, but I'd like to have another couple of names to choose from in case it doesn't suit the baby or I go off it in the meantime. I like adrieanne__x's choice of Addison.

I haven't chosen any boy's names yet, My boyfriend jokingly suggested Cha, it's growing on me but I don't know if someone called Cha could ever be taken seriously.

Names that I used to like, but don't anymore:

Jordan - I seen it spelt Geordan and now it reminds me of George
    Jack - very popular
    Jamie - we live in Limerick and the name sounds awful when pronounced with a strong Limerick city accent

For girls

Mia/Mya
    Ava
    Robyn ... all have become very popular in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Pigletlover - Try saying Cha with a Limerick accent!! Also, it's Chinese and Japanese for tea:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Crea wrote: »
    Pigletlover - Try saying Cha with a Limerick accent!! Also, it's Chinese and Japanese for tea:P

Thanks, another name ruled out. That damn Limerick accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KildareCross

What do people think of the name Cain, or what way would you spell it even, I dont like it spelled Kane at all dont ask me why....
    Due in 2 weeks and dont have any names for girl or boy Im terrible LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

makes me think of Cain and Able but not sure which was the bad one? There was a boy in school with me with this name but have never heard anyone else called it (which I would class as a good thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KildareCross

foxy06 wrote: »
    makes me think of Cain and Able but not sure which was the bad one? There was a boy in school with me with this name but have never heard anyone else called it (which I would class as a good thing)

Yea I dont know anybody called Cain apart from Cain Dingle off Emmerdale :P I forgot about the Cain and Able thing I knew it was a bible name alright but I cant place from where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Melion wrote: »
    So we found out we're having a little girl so the names have been narrowed down to just 2.

Its going to be either Alyssa or Taryn.

Myself and my OH have settled on the name Alyssa if we have a girl, dunno why but it always stood out to me as a really nice name.

I am pretty much convinced it's going to be a girl so I aint put much thought into boy's name. Only one that got even a slight mention was Jordan which was shot down by the OH straight away because it would just remind her of the model.

Advertisement