Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Isn't Shea Tyrian lannisters whore in Game of thrones? Sorry...... Is it a boys name now too?

Surely you've heard of him?
    http://www.shayhealy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Lucuma wrote: »
    Surely you've heard of him?
    http://www.shayhealy.com/

nope but i just typed shay into google and shay Given footballer came up! I always thought his name was shane....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

short for Séamas .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

73trix wrote: »
    short for Séamas .....

Not necessarily, it's a name on its own too. The two (a Shay and a Shea) I know have it as their full name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know someone recently who named their baby Sé.

• Advertisement

ElleEm wrote: »

I can see what they were doing by using an Irish spelling, but the fact that it translates as 'he' would really put me off.

The other spellings don't have the same association. It's like Colleen/Cáilín - pronounced the same, but written down, one of them is a girl's name, the other is the Irish for 'girl'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I can see what they were doing by using an Irish spelling, but the fact that it translates as 'he' would really put me off.

I feel the same. He will most likely go to a gaelscoil too- which is worse! Even people who don't speak much Irish tend to know what sé means.

ElleEm wrote: »

That is...a lil bit strange sorry

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sé means him, I could not call a child Sé.
    Shay has a few meanings depending on which language it is derived from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We are trying to make a list of names. We are struggling with the boys. I know what I don't want :)

No name ending in ie or y
    No name with an n in it due to husbands surname. (N at the end is fine)
    Nothing too modern or American sounding,
    nothing too new Irish sounding (I do like traditional Irish names like Seamus, and Patrick but my husband doesn't like "old man" names.)

I quite like the name Alistair and like the name Flynn but both are too similar to nephews names. Rowan is lovely but sounds wrong with the surname. Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Evan
    Ethan
    William
    Mark
    Luke
    Paul (there were loads of Pauls when I was growing up but I haven't heard of it being used much recently and I quite like it)
    Matthew
    James
    Hugo (nice, but becoming very popular)
    Hugh
    Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Whispered, seeing as you like Rowan and so do I, what about these names that I also like (Not sure if they meet your criteria): Reuben, Rufus, Darragh. What about Aidan, Arthur, Eamonn?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

What about Aidan, Ciaran, Sé, Cian, Cathal, Eoin, Oisín, Brian, Iarla, Colm, Lorcan, Ian, Alan, Liam, Mel, Ewan, Conn, Cormac, Lucas, Gordon, Fergal, Morgan Cillian, Finnian, Finnán or Dara?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks! Some really nice ones in there :)

Sé is a traditional Irish name meaning "hawk-like, fine, goodly" and is spelt Shea or Shay in English, like the Irish goalie Shea Given. The surname O'Shea is derived from it.

Be grateful you don't live in Iceland! I thought I had set ideas on Irish names but having the Govt legislate for it is mad!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/30/icelandic-girl-denied-passport-because-her-name-harriet_n_5544326.html

Be grateful you don't live in Iceland! I thought I had set ideas on Irish names but having the Govt legislate for it is mad!

Agree! I can think of better things to spend my money on than having the government tell me what I can and can't call my children! :)

Met a lady the other day who called her little girl Alma.
    Thought it was a nice one! Easy to spell, easy to say and quite pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Lucuma wrote: »
    Met a lady the other day who called her little girl Alma.
    Thought it was a nice one! Easy to spell, easy to say and quite pretty.

That's such pretty name actually. I would never have thought of it.

Alba is a popular name here. I think it's lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

BarraOG wrote: »
    Agree! I can think of better things to spend my money on than having the government tell me what I can and can't call my children! :)

Some children do need saving from their parents though. In New Zealand the government have stepped into baby naming attempts a few times and given what the parents wanted to call the kids you can understand why.
    Some names that weren't allowed to be registered were:
    1) No. 47 Bus Stop (apparently the parents wanted a reminder of where the child was conceived).
    2) Tallulah Does the Hula from Hawaii is another that was banned.

• Advertisement

Some children do need saving from their parents though. In New Zealand the government have stepped into baby naming attempts a few times and given what the parents wanted to call the kids you can understand why.
    Some names that weren't allowed to be registered were:
    1) No. 47 Bus Stop (apparently the parents wanted a reminder of where the child was conceived).
    2) Tallulah Does the Hula from Hawaii is another that was banned.

Yeah, fair enough, but having to pick from an approved list is ott. I'd imagine the examples above would come under Child Protection!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Yeah, fair enough, but having to pick from an approved list is ott. I'd imagine the examples above would come under Child Protection!:eek:

I agree re: having an approved list to pick from sucks big time. It allows for no imagination or individuality whatsoever. Names all come down to a matter of taste and I've seen some names on this thread that I think are great and absolutely lovely and others that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Others though clearly love them and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

The name picking is hard work. We cannot agree on boys names at all! Our baby girl names are Mia or Nala.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I believe in Germany they will stop you calling your child Adolf etc

What would your opinions be regarding the girls name Uainín? Its a nickname for Úna and is pronounce "uh neen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

"Onion" would be an unfortunate but likely nickname. :o

Also, are you sure about that spelling and pronunciation? It's not a name I've ever heard of before, but looking at the spelling, I'd be inclined to pronounce it more like "Wan-een" ... like I'd pronounce the words "uaim" and "uait" as though they start with a "weh" sound. I think it's a name that would cause a lot of confusion in terms of spelling and pronunciation over the years, might be a bit of a pain for the child!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Isolt wrote: »
    The name picking is hard work. We cannot agree on boys names at all! Our baby girl names are Mia or Nala.

What about Simba? :D

What would your opinions be regarding the girls name Uainín? Its a nickname for Úna and is pronounce "uh neen".

Did you mean it's pronoucned 'Ooo-neen' ? Coz that sounds more likely.....
    'Ooo-na' becomes 'Ooo-neen'

Yeah I see Chatt's point about pronouncing it as Wan-een as well.
    I like it actually, but why not just call them Una I'd say! Actually Una is one that has popped into my head this week as a contender! It kind of has everything going for it - it's irish (we're going for an irish name), it's short and sweet, it's pretty, it's easy to spell and pronounce...

Pronunciation of Uainín: forvo.com/search/uain%C3%ADn/

Maybe the name Úna would be better with Uainín serving as a nickname.

• Advertisement

Pronunciation of Uainín: forvo.com/search/uain%C3%ADn/

Maybe the name Úna would be better with Uainín serving as a nickname.

ah yeah...that's what I was trying to write above! It's lovely when you hear it pronounced; 'Oo-a-neen'
    Yes they would always have problems spelling it and with people pronouncing it, but it is a lovely sounding name

Advertisement