Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd pronounce it Ay-gawn

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I'd pronounce it Ay-gawn

Oh yes, especially if you use the old spelling Aodhagán

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hairway2Steven

Myself on my OH are thinking of naming our unborn newborn (Boy) Ford, Not after harrison ford, or the car, but just as a solid name. Or Lennon, As we are both huge music fans ie The beatles...

Just wanted to gather outsiders thoughts on such different names

Myself on my OH are thinking of naming our unborn newborn (Boy) Ford, Not after harrison ford, or the car, but just as a solid name. Or Lennon, As we are both huge music fans ie The beatles...

Both strike me as names that are different just for the sake of being different ...

Being honest, if I was introduced to a baby called "Ford" or "Lennon", I'd cringe a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BelindaL

A friend of mine named her son Lennon (7yrs old now) and it really suits him. Its beem shortened to Len lately by his friends but its a cool name I think!

Not as convinced on Ford!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Ford?
    After the President?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Any ideas for girls names? We are stumped had loads picked for boys of course, but expecting a little lady. I would love something unusual but not crazy. I like Heidi, Masie and Darcy, but I'm not sure if I like them enough to call her it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

What about willow or indie (indigo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have been mad about the name Indigo for a boy for years, but it became popular as there is someone on a show with that name a few months ago I think. I had never heard anyone else mention it until I saw it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Any ideas for girls names? We are stumped had loads picked for boys of course, but expecting a little lady. I would love something unusual but not crazy. I like Heidi, Masie and Darcy, but I'm not sure if I like them enough to call her it??

If those 3 Maisie would be my favourite followed closely by darcy.
    I'm always a bit sorry I did not call my own little girl Maisie
    Best if luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Love Willow,was on my list for a girl.Also Dakota i love that as well/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

dubstarr wrote: »
    Love Willow,was on my list for a girl.Also Dakota i love that as well/

Dakota?
    North or South?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My niece is Willow. I hated it at first but it has grown on me and it really suits her.

I love love love Phoebe for a girl. I really wanted to name my second daughter Phoebe but everyone hated it. That's what I get for telling people the name I picked before I gave birth. It actually happened again with my son, we picked his name early and my mam and sister hated it but I stuck to my guns this time and told them it was my baby so I'd name him whatever I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

January wrote: »
    My niece is Willow. I hated it at first but it has grown on me and it really suits her.

I love love love Phoebe for a girl. I really wanted to name my second daughter Phoebe but everyone hated it. That's what I get for telling people the name I picked before I gave birth. It actually happened again with my son, we picked his name early and my mam and sister hated it but I stuck to my guns this time and told them it was my baby so I'd name him whatever I wanted.

I'm sure you know by now, the golden rule of picking baby names is to tell no one of the ones you're thinking of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Suain

I'm loving irish names, eimear, orlaith, aine, iarla etc. Does anyone have any more boys/girls names? Irish but that will fit modern context. Keep trolling gaa and gaelscoil Facebook pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Eimhin and Odhrán for lads.
    Íde and sabhdh for girls.
    They're the irish names I like anyway

My favorite Irish names would be Aoibhe, Clodagh, Sadbh, Deirdre. Donal, Eoin, Cathal, Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Lashes28 wrote: »

I love the names Heidi and Darcy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Suain wrote: »
    I'm loving irish names, eimear, orlaith, aine, iarla etc. Does anyone have any more boys/girls names? Irish but that will fit modern context. Keep trolling gaa and gaelscoil Facebook pages!

Dearbhail , Caoimhe , Caolán , Siún ,Caoilfhionn , Cormac , Cillian ,Aisling , Aoibh ,Laoise , Siobhan .

A few more ...

Eibhlín, Síofra, Doireann, Róisín (or Roisín), Dara, Laoibhse, Ríona, Éadaoin, Cara, Clíodhna, Éimhín, Mairéad, Macha, Síomha, Lasairfhíona, Saorlaith, Éabha, Cora.

Fionnáin, Daire, Donnacha, Niall, Oisín, Feidhlim, Piaras, Odhrán, Aodh, Tiernan.

I think the spelling/fadas are correct on most of the above, but can't guarantee it! :o Also can't be 100% sure that all of them are "authentically" Irish.

I personally would be unlikely to choose an Irish name, but there are some gorgeous ones out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A few more ...

Eibhlín, Síofra, Doireann, Róisín (or Roisín), Dara, Laoibhse, Ríona, Éadaoin, Cara, Clíodhna, Éimhín, Mairéad, Macha, Síomha, Lasairfhíona, Saorlaith, Éabha, Cora.

Fionnáin, Daire, Donnacha, Niall, Oisín, Feidhlim, Piaras, Odhrán, Aodh, Tiernan.

I think the spelling/fadas are correct on most of the above, but can't guarantee it! :o Also can't be 100% sure that all of them are "authentically" Irish.

I personally would be unlikely to choose an Irish name, but there are some gorgeous ones out there.
    Jasus, I'm irish and I struggle to pronounce half of those!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jasus, I'm irish and I struggle to pronounce half of those!

LOL! I wouldn't be so keen on some of them myself ... I got inspiration from my time in the Gaelteacht when I was younger, those are the names I could remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Not a fan of most Irish names but Lasairfhíona has got to be one of the worst I have ever heard of! It's right up there with Gobnait

Xdancer wrote: »
    Not a fan of most Irish names but Lasairfhíona has got to be one of the worst I have ever heard of! It's right up there with Gobnait

Yeah the girl I knew who was called that used to be called "Las" for short, she rarely went by the long version! I kind of like it, but wouldn't use it myself for a child.

Gobnait is definitely the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Xdancer wrote: »

The first one sounds like it could be Gaelic for Lucifer. The second sounds like some particularly nasty lump of phlegm one would expel at speed when struck by bubonic plague or something similar.

I'm really really not a fan of Irish names.

A few more ...

Best name ever

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Lasairfhiona can be pronounced Lassreena, like Christina. I knew a girl called that in college and it was quite nice. Although I didn't know it was Irish then, I thought it was a foreign name tbh like Natasha.

I do agree gobnait doesn't have a lot going for it. I like the other names. Someone mentioned Eimhin for a boy, I've seen it spelled both mh and bh, pronounced Evan. anyone know if either spelling is right/wrong for that pronunciation and why? For a girl, would it be Éimhín? Ay-veen? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Best name ever

How would you pronounce it?

Lasairfhiona can be pronounced Lassreena, like Christina. I knew a girl called that in college and it was quite nice. Although I didn't know it was Irish then, I thought it was a foreign name tbh like Natasha.

I do agree gobnait doesn't have a lot going for it. I like the other names. Someone mentioned Eimhin for a boy, I've seen it spelled both mh and bh, pronounced Evan. anyone know if either spelling is right/wrong for that pronunciation and why? For a girl, would it be Éimhín? Ay-veen? Thanks.

I have a friend who writes it Éimhin and has people pronounce it Evan.
    If you put the fada on the i its just weird Ev-een, nah doesn't work.

Aoibhinn maybe is the girl's name you're going for?

• Advertisement

How would you pronounce it?

Saorlah :)

Advertisement