Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Deranged96 wrote: »
    I have a friend who writes it Éimhin and has people pronounce it Evan.
    If you put the fada on the i its just weird Ev-een, nah doesn't work.

Aoibhinn maybe is the girl's name you're going for?

Aoibhinn (or Aoibheann) would be pronounced kind of like Even.

Éimhín would be pronounced Ay-veen.

Éimhin would be pronounced Ay-vin.

Eimhin would be pronounced closest to Evan.

Personally I'd be inclined to go with Éimhín for a girl, Eimhin for a boy ... much prefer the female version though, I've never seen Eimhin used and I'm not sure if it's a "real" Irish name or a makey-uppy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I have a friend who writes it Éimhin and has people pronounce it Evan.
    If you put the fada on the i its just weird Ev-een, nah doesn't work.

Aoibhinn maybe is the girl's name you're going for?

Thanks deranged.

Wouldn't a fada on an e make it more of an 'ay' (pay, say) sound, like in sé or mé? For the guy's name Evan I'd expect no fadas.

The girl's name sound I was thinking of is Ay-veen. I'd pronounce Aoibhinn more like eevin, that 'aoibh' is like eev, like in caoimhe or caoilfhionn. I've seen that spelling, Aoibhinn, used for a name pronounced Ay-veen but I don't think it is strictly correct.

Saorlah :)

Cheers. 'aith' got me, that's pronounced like 'eye' where I'm from, go maith. Saorlah sounds better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Merkin wrote: »
    The first one sounds like it could be Gaelic for Lucifer. The second sounds like some particularly nasty lump of phlegm one would expel at speed when struck by bubonic plague or something similar.

I'm really really not a fan of Irish names.

Hahaha... I nearly fell of my chair laughing at that!

I really dislike Irish names. How on earth do you pronounce Gobnait??? I can think of a nickname that poor child would be called :(...

Aoibhinn (or Aoibheann) would be pronounced kind of like Even.

Éimhín would be pronounced Ay-veen.

Éimhin would be pronounced Ay-vin.

Eimhin would be pronounced closest to Evan.

Personally I'd be inclined to go with Éimhín for a girl, Eimhin for a boy ... much prefer the female version though, I've never seen Eimhin used and I'm not sure if it's a "real" Irish name or a makey-uppy one!

Snap on the pronounciation, chattastrophe! Thanks.

I know of a man called Evan spelled Eimhin, I like it but, like you ,I don't know if it is an Irish-ification of Evan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

There's a crazy amount of Irish names in this thread. It's kind of taken over the last few pages. They must be making a big come back this year for some reason! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I don't understand the blanket hatred for Irish names tbh. There's thousands of them, all completely different from one another. I get that some people mightn't like convoluted spellings or pronunciations but what's so wrong with Seán, Niamh or Ciara for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I like Sean but that would be the only Irish name I like, for me I hated Irish in school, the teachers were awful so I think that's were my dislike comes from. It's like when you dislike someone you will always hate their name because you associate one with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Dolbert wrote: »
    I don't understand the blanket hatred for Irish names tbh. There's thousands of them, all completely different from one another. I get that some people mightn't like convoluted spellings or pronunciations but what's so wrong with Seán, Niamh or Ciara for example?

I love Irish as a language, but personnally find the names too harsh sounding. There is nothing wrong with names such as Seán, Niamh or Ciara but they are just not to my taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Isolt wrote: »
    There's a crazy amount of Irish names in this thread. It's kind of taken over the last few pages. They must be making a big come back this year for some reason! :)

No ... I'd imagine posters (including myself) are only posting suggestions of Irish names because another poster specifically requested them.

• Advertisement

For me, I just don't like the way they sound. Ciara sounds quite pretty and perhaps Sinead... But they are literally the only ones I like. It's all in the sound I think... For me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I've genuinely never heard of one I like.

One man's meat is another man's poison :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

On the Irish name thing I do like Irish names . However I don't like them very oirishy.
    My husband's name is quite English sounding so I picked names for my too that whilst not being Gaelic are still commonly used in ireland. I just like the connection to my Irish heritage.
    But for simplicity I avoided fadas.

It's a personal thing once the name is not one that will cause merciless mocking it's all good to me. Aeneus should never be used IMHO

I'm still really curious as to how Gobnait is pronounced?? Genuine query... Please someone inform me :)

Gob-nit

:eek:

And I'm not joking

Gob-nit

And I'm not joking

Lol lol lol!!! X 1 million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Gob-nit

And I'm not joking

I'd pronounce it more like gub-nit.

I knew a girl with that name and that's how she pronounced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Is it true that's Irish for Deborah?

Xdancer wrote: »
    I'd pronounce it more like gub-nit.

I knew a girl with that name and that's how she pronounced it.

So did I but she was from Norn Iron so may just have been her pronunciation. Either way, it's one I'll skip on if I ever have a little girl....!

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    Is it true that's Irish for Deborah?

I thought it was something to do with Abigail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Suain

Thanks guys for your replies. Everyone has different tastes and it's what makes things interesting. Personally, I come from a family with all Irish names, and would like to carry on the tradition. I live in Oz and find my name is a great conversation starter and don't mind people getting it wrong. I'm here 7 years and it always sparks interest and discussion. Horses for courses though. Thanks to all that helped with suggestions. Lots of thinking to do x

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

one of my daughters is named Sadhbh ( rhymes with 5 ) and I love it. though I agree not to everyone's taste I think some Irish names are harsh and some not just like everything else. For example I absolutely hate Amelia. I think it sounds really whiny. but its the no 1 name in Britain so there you go, different folks different strokes.

example I absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

apologies for bonkers grammer and bit at the bottom for no reason. on my phone and its acting crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

tishandy wrote: »
    one of my daughters is named Sadhbh ( rhymes with 5 ) and I love it. though I agree not to everyone's taste I think some Irish names are harsh and some not just like everything else. For example I absolutely hate Amelia. I think it sounds really whiny. but its the no 1 name in Britain so there you go, different folks different strokes.

Sadhbh is a beautiful name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Sligo1 wrote: »
    For me, I just don't like the way they sound. Ciara sounds quite pretty and perhaps Sinead... But they are literally the only ones I like. It's all in the sound I think... For me anyway...

Now that's interesting!
    I like the ones with spellings that look like mistakes, all 'gh's and 'dh's and 'bh's... sadhbh/Odhran/Brónagh/Maidhc/Maebh/clíodhna etc.

I like a name with a little bite... gives it some power ;)

Arrrghhhh! I had a baby boy five weeks ago in the USA. We called him Rían, with the fada. Put it on all the paper work in the hospital and it came up in conversation with some staff there. We got his birth cert and social security number in the post: Rian. We thought it was a mistake and intended to submit a correction but just learned that the US social security numbers and birth certs don't allow diacritical marks (also learned that word). I'm not bothered about the SSN but am livid about the birth cert as I think it will used for his Irish paperwork and he'll officially be Rian forever, and will be called Ryan. His name is not Ryan :(

Edit to say: I meant that the hospital staff didn't say anything when the fada was brought up, and we had to submit the paper work in the hospital. Kinda surprised no one told us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Any thoughts on these boys names?
    Cameron
    Hugo
    Carter
    Cooper

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Any thoughts on these boys names?
    Cameron
    Hugo
    Carter
    Cooper

Thanks

From your list I like Cameron.
    I know 2 people who's dogs are called Cooper so to me it just sounds like a dogs name, sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Ms2011 wrote: »
    From your list I like Cameron.
    I know 2 people who's dogs are called Cooper so to me it just sounds like a dogs name, sorry :o

Cooper is very popular in Australia.
    We're narrowing between Cameron and Hugo I think. Both are a little unusual, without spelling or pronunciation problems.

Advertisement