Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Cooper is very popular in Australia.
    We're narrowing between Cameron and Hugo I think. Both are a little unusual, without spelling or pronunciation problems.

Hugo is really growing in popularity amongst people I know. It's a cute name though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Think I like Hugo best from your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I like Cameron best from your list. Hugo is getting popular...I don't really like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

My vote would definitely be for Cameron too.
    Hugo just reminds me of the Made In Chelsea guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Closed_Account

I'm having a baby girl at the end of January and myself and the OH are having trouble agreeing on a name. I've been trawling the most popular names of the 1800s as I love traditional names but anything I pick, OH says is either too common (even though none of them are currently popular), more suitable for a cat or else it rhymes with something awful which, in his mind, is going to mean eternal trauma in the playground (I suggested Helena but he's afraid she'll be forever known as Smellina :rolleyes: ) Problem is, he doesn't like any name I pick but when I ask him to suggest a few, he can't or won't. It was the same when I was pregnant with our son and in the end the only thing we could agree on was to name him after my dad. We've made a maybe list that we both think are ok but I don't particularly love any of the names on it :( I love Ivy but his complaint about that is that it's flowery :rolleyes: Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Any thoughts on these boys names?
    Cameron
    Hugo
    Carter
    Cooper

Thanks

My boy is Hugo :) And NOT because of Made in Chelsea!! It wasn't on the CSO top 100 for 2013 or 2014, I don't think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I don't know what Made in Chelsea is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm having a baby girl at the end of January and myself and the OH are having trouble agreeing on a name. I've been trawling the most popular names of the 1800s as I love traditional names but anything I pick, OH says is either too common (even though none of them are currently popular), more suitable for a cat or else it rhymes with something awful which, in his mind, is going to mean eternal trauma in the playground (I suggested Helena but he's afraid she'll be forever known as Smellina :rolleyes: ) Problem is, he doesn't like any name I pick but when I ask him to suggest a few, he can't or won't. It was the same when I was pregnant with our son and in the end the only thing we could agree on was to name him after my dad. We've made a maybe list that we both think are ok but I don't particularly love any of the names on it :( I love Ivy but his complaint about that is that it's flowery :rolleyes: Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem!

I'm having the same problem with my other half. She is coming up with loads of names but I don't like most. I do suggest some but I only suggest ones that I really like so there aren't a whole lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

nikpmup wrote: »
    My boy is Hugo :) And NOT because of Made in Chelsea!! It wasn't on the CSO top 100 for 2013 or 2014, I don't think.

Sorry - I didn't mean to offend with my Made In Chelsea comment.
    The name Hugo would remind me of the guy off the show, but will mean nothing to the other 99% of the population that have never watched it. Sorry again - I didn't mean to offend.
    Names are so personal that it's hard to say you prefer one over another without causing offence.

Only recently pregnant but this is definitely going to be a problem. OH doesn't like any of the names I pick he wants harsh sounding (weird spelling) irish names but for no apparent reason. Reckon since I do most of the work (incubation, labour, bf, etc) I get the final say ;):p
    Reckon that's wishful thinking though !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Blingy that was my reasoning,but if he really hated a name i wouldnt call it to the child.But i think just wait till hes out of the room and then blame hormones.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Only early days for us but similarly hubby doesn't like any of the names I do - am kinda hoping that if this keeps up by the time baba arrives he'll be so in awe of what I've gone through he'll let me win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

We don;t know the gender - but I'm convinced since very early on we are having a little boy :)
    It seems we have no problems with girls names but the boys names are proving harder to agree / find.

Any thoughts on Larry?

Its old school, cute (I think!) , would suit a baby to an adult and you really dont hear much / if anyone called it anymore. I like it....

Dubstarr & angeldelight glad to see there are others in my predicament!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Plek Trum wrote: »
    We don;t know the gender - but I'm convinced since very early on we are having a little boy :)
    It seems we have no problems with girls names but the boys names are proving harder to agree / find.

Any thoughts on Larry?

Its old school, cute (I think!) , would suit a baby to an adult and you really dont hear much / if anyone called it anymore. I like it....

I hate to say it, but when I see that name, Larry Murphy is the only thing that springs to mind for me. :o Maybe that's just me, though, I haven't ever known/known of any other Larrys.

Would you call him Lawrence (or similar), and Larry for short? Or just Larry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Oh sh*te - thats iit RUINED!!!

Haha - awful association and a complete spanner in the works ! :)

Aaaaghhh now I feel horrible for ruining your name. :o It's probably just me that thought that!

In fairness, we named our baby William - plenty of people warned us before and after the birth that he'd be teased with "Willy" - I still have no regrets. :) We loved the name, still do, and it suits him perfectly! So don't put too much thought into what anyone else thinks (especially randomers like me on the internet!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Anyone heard any nice girl's names lately? (Yes this is a broad request)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

eílsa is a girls name I've heard of late and I like it . It's pronunced 'ailea'.I know a little boy called Larry and he's a cutie too so there's a good association with the name!!

well that didn't work out lol . It's eilsa with a fada on the I!!

• Advertisement

bobskii wrote: »
    well that didn't work out lol . It's eilsa with a fada on the I!!

Is the 's' silent?

I'm not sure I'm reading your phonetic spelling correctly, is it meant to be pronounced like ale-sa? A fada on the i would make an ee sound rather than an aa sound wouldn't it?

yeh the s is silent . Her mother explained the meaning of the name but I forget what she said!

Is it supposed to be Irish? If so, I guess it's an exception to the old "caol le caol, leathan le leathan" rule. And there aren't silent s's in Irish ...

ill check the spelling at work tomorrow it could possibly be on something else if that would give it a different sound . I'm not very good with irish spellings of names!

bobskii wrote: »
    yeh the s is silent . Her mother explained the meaning of the name but I forget what she said!

That's a pretty complicated name. Tbh I prefer names that are straightforward to spell and read, I don't want to burden any child with a name that they spend their life spelling out over the phone "Yeah there's an S in the middle, no it's silent, yeah between the L and A...", or one that they would have hassle travelling abroad with. I love some Irish names and would consider using one, but I'd like one that's actually an Irish name, not a new made up one that just has random fadas thrown in (Cúán anyone?), and give the child an English spelled middle name that they can use if they are abroad as an adult.

same as that . I've spent my whole life spelling my name for people . now my second name is hard to spell so this baby is getting a plain pretty (to me) name!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Closed_Account

I have an unusual first name and surname so I'm not into anything complicated either. I love Sive (the John B Keane version of Sadhbh) but the OH doesn't..... I know there's plenty of time to decide but it's disheartening when he says no to every name, as if they were outlandish :(

you could have your heart set on a name and when baby arrives think it doesn't suit so don't worry too much about it . We disagree on loads of names,we'll eventually agree on one! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Arrrghhhh! I had a baby boy five weeks ago in the USA. We called him Rían, with the fada. Put it on all the paper work in the hospital and it came up in conversation with some staff there. We got his birth cert and social security number in the post: Rian. We thought it was a mistake and intended to submit a correction but just learned that the US social security numbers and birth certs don't allow diacritical marks (also learned that word). I'm not bothered about the SSN but am livid about the birth cert as I think it will used for his Irish paperwork and he'll officially be Rian forever, and will be called Ryan. His name is not Ryan :(

Edit to say: I meant that the hospital staff didn't say anything when the fada was brought up, and we had to submit the paper work in the hospital. Kinda surprised no one told us.

The correct spelling is Rian in Irish - no fada! I think people make the mistake of adding the fada because they think it needs to be there in order to generate the ee sound. However "ia" together in Irish is pronounced "eea". Its the same with the name Cian, pronounced KEEAN. Or take even the very common word "iad". Likewise for the names Ian (pronounced EEAN), Niamh (NEEAV), CIARA (KEEARA) and Niall (NEEAL).

forvo.com/word/cian/#ga
    forvo.com/word/iad/#ga

So Rian is pronounced "REEAN". The old spelling for the name was Ríán - two fades. "Rí" means king and "án" is found at the end of a lot of Irish names and is equivalent to the "y" or "ie" in names like Tommy, Johnny and Seanie.

Advertisement