Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I would have thought the same myself - the fada seems superfluous, I would have always spelt it Rian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

bobskii wrote: »
    ill check the spelling at work tomorrow it could possibly be on something else if that would give it a different sound . I'm not very good with irish spellings of names!

Could it be Eila?

Actually are you sure it's not Isla? The pronunciation would make sense then, with the silent S!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

nope it's definitely starts with an e cos her mum wrote it down . It's prounced with an a because when I read it out to her I actually said is it elsa and she corrected me . now it could be Elsia but there is definitely a fada on something!

my memory is gone to pot and me only lookin at it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Our baby was due last Sunday but no stir yet. We have the names Íde, Órla, Nuala, Úna, Niall and Dónal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

nope it's definitely starts with an e cos her mum wrote it down . It's prounced with an a because when I read it out to her I actually said is it elsa and she corrected me . now it could be Elsia but there is definitely a fada on something!

Eisla?

possibly!

with a fada on the E maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm on an American pregnancy app and one of the dads-to-be wants to call his son Anakin, after Star Wars :( I suggested Luke as an alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Any views on Darragh for a boy?...Leo and Alex also in the running and only a few days (hopefully):) to decide...

• Advertisement

Colser wrote: »
    Any views on Darragh for a boy?...Leo and Alex also in the running and only a few days (hopefully):) to decide...

I love Darragh (or Daire?), and Alex. Not so keen on Leo for some reason!

i like all 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Arrrghhhh! I had a baby boy five weeks ago in the USA. We called him Rían, with the fada. Put it on all the paper work in the hospital and it came up in conversation with some staff there. We got his birth cert and social security number in the post: Rian. We thought it was a mistake and intended to submit a correction but just learned that the US social security numbers and birth certs don't allow diacritical marks (also learned that word). I'm not bothered about the SSN but am livid about the birth cert as I think it will used for his Irish paperwork and he'll officially be Rian forever, and will be called Ryan. His name is not Ryan :(

Edit to say: I meant that the hospital staff didn't say anything when the fada was brought up, and we had to submit the paper work in the hospital. Kinda surprised no one told us.

Darragh is a very nice name!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Eilidh maybe? Pronounced Ay-lee. Very common in Scotland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Love Darragh, Alex is nice too (prefer it on a girl, but that's just me).

Thanks for all the replies ...99% sure on Darragh now...name picking is hard work:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Darragh too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

BarraOG wrote: »
    The correct spelling is Rian in Irish - no fada! I think people make the mistake of adding the fada because they think it needs to be there in order to generate the ee sound. However "ia" together in Irish is pronounced "eea". Its the same with the name Cian, pronounced KEEAN. Or take even the very common word "iad". Likewise for the names Ian (pronounced EEAN), Niamh (NEEAV), CIARA (KEEARA) and Niall (NEEAL).

forvo.com/word/cian/#ga
    forvo.com/word/iad/#ga

So Rian is pronounced "REEAN". The old spelling for the name was Ríán - two fades. "Rí" means king and "án" is found at the end of a lot of Irish names and is equivalent to the "y" or "ie" in names like Tommy, Johnny and Seanie.

Thanks for the info :) I had looked it up in a good Irish baby names book to check variations when we picked it. it was spelled Rían as well as another way but we went with Rían. I agree that Cian etc is pronounced with the eean sound, but he has already been called Ryan by a few people reading the fada-less Rian :(

It's very annoying that we're restricted in what we can name our child here. For a country of immigrants, it's pretty narrow. You'd swear they didn't want any non-English names...

just checked again it's Eile with a fada on the first e!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Closed_Account

Darragh is lovely :) Has anyone ever heard of Daire as a girl's name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

just checked again it's Eile with a fada on the first e!

Hmm, I've never heard of it but it does appear to be a name, but then if you leave the fada off it just means other, which is a bit crap considering most people will leave off the fada off a capital letter. She'll spend her life telling people its not "Ella".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes I know a teenage girl Daire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Yes I know a Daire (female) !

I've seen Dara as a girls name alright.

I know 2 girls called Daire(one spelt Dara)....both are in their 30s...I think its lovely...my own choice for a girl would be either Olivia or Alison...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I love Olivia but it's just too popular at the moment. Also really like Penelope but husband doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Husband wants to name a baby boy Neil. I'm not mad about it but I don't have another in mind. I do prefer names with two syllables for some reason.

Utterly, totally and completely stuck for a girl name. I love Faye, mainly because of the meaning, but our dogs nickname is pronounced "fee" and it'd be way too confusing.

We are heading over to Spain for a week shortly, I'll be 33 weeks on my return and we've been joking that if I happen to go really early and it's born over there, we will call the baby Ignacio if it's a boy, Iggy or Nacho for short and if it's a girl Esperanza or Espe for short. :pac:

Whispered wrote: »
    We are heading over to Spain for a week shortly, I'll be 33 weeks on my return and we've been joking that if I happen to go really early and it's born over there, we will call the baby Ignacio if it's a boy, Iggy or Nacho for short and if it's a girl Esperanza or Espe for short. :pac:

Lol ... I was due just after Christmas, I used to say that if he ended up being a Christmas baby, I'd call him Rudolph! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

my own choice for a girl would be either Olivia or Alison...:)

Same names I love! Hubby wants another name for a girl, he's obsessed with it, I'm just not sure of how it is with our surname.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

My friend had her baby yesterday and has called her Penelope, Penny for short. Cute

Advertisement