Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

What do people think of Ellie for a girl? Sweet or becoming a bit too popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Personally Ella and their derivatives are way too popular. In a swim class of 10 babies 2 are called Ella-rose!

If we had had a girl I really wanted Olivia. Even though its supposed to be very popular I've yet to meet one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

I was thinking that dori_dormer - still pretty though but I'd rather stay away from names that are hugely popular if possible. Olivia is lovely but the name of my partners ex. Total non-runner haha!

Any thoughts on Darcy / Darcie for a girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I love Darcy/Darcie for a girl. The only Olivias I know are my age (late twenties/early thirties), doesn't seem to be too popular now which is good.

Elle/Ella/Ellie are really popular, I know two Elles under 3, and about 3 Ellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My friend had her baby yesterday and has called her Penelope, Penny for short. Cute

Love Penelope... and my daughter has been calling me Penny for the last few months (she is fireman sam apparantly), so I love Penny too. :)

Plek Trum, I love Larry as well. I know a girl who called her son Laurence, Larry for short. I think it's adorable. Laurie is the nickname of the girl's neighbour in Little Women, think that's why I like it. Although if I remember the characters name is actually theodore? Anyway... ramble over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If I was going to use the name Ellie, I'd use Ellen and use Ellie as a nickname. We have an Ellen but her nickname is not Ellie... it's Melon :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Whispered wrote: »
    Husband wants to name a baby boy Neil. I'm not mad about it but I don't have another in mind. I do prefer names with two syllables for some reason.

Utterly, totally and completely stuck for a girl name. I love Faye, mainly because of the meaning, but our dogs nickname is pronounced "fee" and it'd be way too confusing.

We are heading over to Spain for a week shortly, I'll be 33 weeks on my return and we've been joking that if I happen to go really early and it's born over there, we will call the baby Ignacio if it's a boy, Iggy or Nacho for short and if it's a girl Esperanza or Espe for short. :pac:

If you like Faye, a similar name which I think is really lovely is Freya. Mr. Merkin has a friend who called his little girl Freya so it's out for us if we were to have a girl but I think it's such a pretty name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It is gorgeous - thanks for the suggestion :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I love Darcy/Darcie for a girl. The only Olivias I know are my age (late twenties/early thirties), doesn't seem to be too popular now which is good.

Elle/Ella/Ellie are really popular, I know two Elles under 3, and about 3 Ellas.

Darcy is nice

As is Freya mentioned above.

How about Aurora?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I really do not like Penelope,Olivia is lovely.
    We have a Siún Olivia

• Advertisement

Darcy is nice

As is Freya mentioned above.

How about Aurora?

God I love Aurora! Curse our stupid surname, needs a simple classic first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Plek Trum wrote: »
    I was thinking that dori_dormer - still pretty though but I'd rather stay away from names that are hugely popular if possible. Olivia is lovely but the name of my partners ex. Total non-runner haha!

Any thoughts on Darcy / Darcie for a girl?
    I think Darcie/Darcy is lovely...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am a teacher so I hear soooo many children's names! There are sooo many Ella's/Ellie's out there! The same goes for Molly, milly, Maisie, chloe, charlie, josh, Harry, jack, Cameron! I love the name darcy for a girl! I have only ever heard of 1 girl called that! I adore the name blathin too.

Millem wrote: »
    I am a teacher so I hear soooo many children's names! There are sooo many Ella's/Ellie's out there! The same goes for Molly, milly, Maisie, chloe, charlie, josh, Harry, jack, Cameron! I love the name darcy for a girl! I have only ever heard of 1 girl called that! I adore the name blathin too.

I love Bláithín too, and Blathnaid, my fave names, but so many people can't spell or say them.

As well as the popular first names the names with -Mae or Rose as a middle name are really big at the moment now too, Lily-Mae, Millie-Mae, Emma Rose, Olivia Rose...I see a lot of kids names in my line of work too and it's amazing how so many are the same when there are so many options!

Are there many Hugos around??

Are there many Hugos around??

That was actually one of the names we had chosen :) it is definately becoming more popular now I have to say. We didn't go with it in the end but I still love it! A collegue named her baby hugo a month before our baby was due. I was in a class in primary school where there was 4 of us with the same name! So I was adamant I didn't want a popular name as I always had to be referred. to as full name!! There was 8 boys with the same name as my OH in his year in secondary school!!
    The "boring" names which are just normal names are not popular in my school :) eg john, Patrick etc. I now don't bat an eyelid when they tell me their names!
    Sophie, emily and Ryan are also extremely popular. I chose a "boring" name for my son!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

That was actually one of the names we had chosen :) it is definately becoming more popular now I have to say. We didn't go with it in the end but I still love it! A collegue named her baby hugo a month before our baby was due. I was in a class in primary school where there was 4 of us with the same name! So I was adamant I didn't want a popular name as I always had to be referred. to as full name!! There was 8 boys with the same name as my OH in his year in secondary school!!
    The "boring" names which are just normal names are not popular in my school :) eg john, Patrick etc. I now don't bat an eyelid when they tell me their names!
    Sophie, emily and Ryan are also extremely popular. I chose a "boring" name for my son!!

I think Lilly has gotten so so popular! It was a name I always said I love for my girl before I even met my husband so way before it was ever popular. Do you come across a lot of Lilly/Lily's?

Merkin wrote: »
    If you like Faye, a similar name which I think is really lovely is Freya. Mr. Merkin has a friend who called his little girl Freya so it's out for us if we were to have a girl but I think it's such a pretty name.

Freya is gorgeous!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I think Lilly has gotten so so popular! It was a name I always said I love for my girl before I even met my husband so way before it was ever popular. Do you come across a lot of Lilly/Lily's?

Would you believe I think We only have 1 Lilly in the whole school! I think she spells it lily. Loads and loads of milly's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I used the CSO lists a good bit when I was baby name hunting.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2013/#.VCxXD2K9KSM

We didn't want anything in the top 100 of 2013 or 2012. but we also wanted it recognisable and spellable, so did want it in top 100 of 1963. Did a nice excel sheet and plotted overlaps and exclusions. Appealed to the nerd in me too!

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    I used the CSO lists a good bit when I was baby name hunting.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2013/#.VCxXD2K9KSM

We didn't want anything in the top 100 of 2013 or 2012. but we also wanted it recognisable and spellable, so did want it in top 100 of 1963. Did a nice excel sheet and plotted overlaps and exclusions. Appealed to the nerd in me too!

I remember looking at the irish times list of most popular names in their baby announcements and it was different to cso list. I think thomas was the most popular name on irish times last year? But jack was the most popular on cso?
    I think some parents go a step too far, it wouldn't Suprise me if I see a few children called buzz or bear in the future.

Would you believe I think We only have 1 Lilly in the whole school! I think she spells it lily. Loads and loads of milly's though.

Milly is our dogs name! :eek:

Fancy ;)

O stop I know!! I recently hear of a mitzey and thought it sounded like a cutie little puppy's name!!! Lol

I see Lily a lot with under 2's.

I remember looking at the irish times list of most popular names in their baby announcements and it was different to cso list. I think thomas was the most popular name on irish times last year? But jack was the most popular on cso?
    I think some parents go a step too far, it wouldn't Suprise me if I see a few children called buzz or bear in the future.

Yes I couldn't believe Thomas was so popular! My dad died when I was 17 and I always always said if I ever had a son I'd call him Thomas after my dad. I was devastated when I saw it was so popular! All my years at school and college and I swear I had never ever known anyone called Thomas! And now I'm hearing loads of toms around the place! Bloody typical! Same with Lilly aswell. I always liked that name and was raging when I found out it was so popular. But I loved both names and they just seemed right aswell.... So I wasn't going to let a list change my mind. I glad I didn't now as I can't imagine them being called anything else :)

I see Lily a lot with under 2's.

Yea there was a lily at the park we were at yesterday who was nearly 2. I think it's come in probably a lot in the last 2 or 3 years maybe...

Yes I couldn't believe Thomas was so popular! My dad died when I was 17 and I always always said if I ever had a son I'd call him Thomas after my dad. I was devastated when I saw it was so popular! All my years at school and college and I swear I had never ever known anyone called Thomas! And now I'm hearing loads of toms around the place! Bloody typical! Same with Lilly aswell. I always liked that name and was raging when I found out it was so popular. But I loved both names and they just seemed right aswell.... So I wasn't going to let a list change my mind. I glad I didn't now as I can't imagine them being called anything else :)

You are so right! Anyway my dad would say you are in good company with the irish times list!!! Lol lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Think I've more or less settled on a boys name.
    For a girl I like either Skye or Amber, I think I like Skye most but not sure if it goes with our surname.

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Think I've more or less settled on a boys name.
    For a girl I like either Skye or Amber, I think I like Skye most but not sure if it goes with our surname.

I knew a couple of ambers when I was a little girl In primary school and never really liked the name then (no idea why!)... But I think it's a beautiful name now! Just gorgeous.

Advertisement