Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I like Daireann for a girl but anywhere I see it online, the pronunciation is given as Dar-Rawn. I would have thought without a fada, it would just be pronounced the same as Darren?

I've never seen it before, but yeah, I'd pronounce it like Darren. I've seen Doireann (pronounced Durren) alright. I quite like Daireann actually, wouldn't use it myself because of the spelling/pronunciation difficulties, but you'll have that with many Irish names. It's very pretty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I've never seen it before, but yeah, I'd pronounce it like Darren. I've seen Doireann (pronounced Durren) alright. I quite like Daireann actually, wouldn't use it myself because of the spelling/pronunciation difficulties, but you'll have that with many Irish names. It's very pretty. :)

I have taught a few girls called "doireann" but they pronounced it "dear-in".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I like Daireann for a girl but anywhere I see it online, the pronunciation is given as Dar-Rawn. I would have thought without a fada, it would just be pronounced the same as Darren?

It would be pronounced as Darren, causing a lot of confusion. Doireann can be pronounced "Dear-en" or "Dur-en", my friend (West of Ireland) is "Dhir-en," not with a sharp 'd' sound, but a softer 'd' sound, with a 'h'. There is a radio presenter called Doireann Ní Bhriain and she pronounces it "Dhir-en"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Isn't it funny,there's so many names I like but not enough to stick on my child for good, it's such a huge decision. I think she will be Miss No name for quite awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

What are people's opinions on the name Jenna for a girl?? Yay or Nay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ms2011 wrote: »

I love Jenna - OH isnt fussed on it. What about Lara? I think its pretty & OH likes it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I think Jenna is a lovely name! Really pretty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I just don't like it. You know how people say you should imagine a name that suits a tiny cute baby, and then see how it transfers to a grown-up partner in an accountancy firm ... well, to me, Jenna suits neither! I can't imagine the name suiting either a tiny baby or a professional adult. To me it's just a 12/13 year old girl trying out a shortened cooler version of her real name (Jennifer).

So it's a Nay from me. Sorry. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I just don't like it. You know how people say you should imagine a name that suits a tiny cute baby, and then see how it transfers to a grown-up partner in an accountancy firm ... well, to me, Jenna suits neither! I can't imagine the name suiting either a tiny baby or a professional adult. To me it's just a 12/13 year old girl trying out a shortened cooler version of her real name (Jennifer).

So it's a Nay from me. Sorry. :o
    I know a grown up, professional Jenna (an accountant actually) and I never thought her name was childish. I never thought of it as a shortened version of Jennifer either, but as a name in it's own right.

Anyway, I'm a fan (it helps that the Jenna I know is lovely!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I ADORE the name Jenna! Love it!

Hmmm looks like we may have a contender for the girls name!
    Most likely end up having a boy now after all this searching for a suitable girls name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hmmm looks like we may have a contender for the girls name!
    Most likely end up having a boy now after all this searching for a suitable girls name :D

I'm not pregnant or anything but it's stored away for future! Love love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Nay. its a bit 'blah' in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Jenna is a fab name, the 20/30 years time imagine scenario in accountancy firms will be very different
    to todays accountancy firm, it will be full of modern day names i'd imagine, I have a Jamie not a James and I know lots
    of Jamie's born in the past five years at least so I'd say there might be one or two Jamies, jennas, chloes, lillys etc working in 30/40 years time!!!

One of the reasons I like the name Jenna is because it doesn't really feel like a cutsie baby name, I can more visualise it on a girls of 9+ but evolving into a grown up name.
    That's my interpretation of it anyone but names are so subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Jenna is a name in its own right, i wouldn't associate it with Jennifer.
    In my sons creche there is a Jenny not Jennifer just Jenny and I think it's a lovely name.

Rose35 wrote: »
    Jenna is a name in its own right, i wouldn't associate it with Jennifer.
    In my sons creche there is a Jenny not Jennifer just Jenny and I think it's a lovely name.

I used to go horse riding with a girl called Jenni when I was younger, she'd get v.annoyed if you called her Jennifer or spelt her name with a 'y', I remember her threating to bring her birth cert one day to prove it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id be a nay on Jenna but that's being from Cork and it rhyming with Stella, probably fine elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Jenna is nice. It's quite sweet yet I definitely can visualise a grown up professional Jenna!

What do people think of the name Harvey?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Personally don't like Harvey,it sounds very american to me and it is not even an american name. I don't think it is a horrible name either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can't find any name that I really like, none at all! 9 weeks or so to think of something :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had my 1st girls name picked out since I was 12,my boy had no name for 2 weeks:) I loved the name Cillian and he does not,Ruairi was another option and I think I probably called him that for days lol ,we both love Cormac but we have an uncle Cormac and I do not like duplicates!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

We spend about 20 minutes every night going through names, TV shows to sports stars, top 100 in 1950 to names of people we know, and can't agree on any! Anything I come up with I'm only 'meh' about anyway.

Hopefully when he/she is born a name will come to us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Personally don't like Harvey,it sounds very american to me and it is not even an american name. I don't think it is a horrible name either though.

Yea I dunno... I'm kinda drawn to it at the moment... Might be just a phase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I don't like my girl names anymore. And only 4 weeks to go. :o

Harvey is nice, I think it has become quite common recently or maybe it's just that I know 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I think Jenna is nice, very pretty.

Harvey always reminds me of Katie Price unfortunately. Kerry Katona also ruined two of my favourite names :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Advertisement