Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Roselm wrote: »
    Not in the UK. It's fair game and people don't hold back. I found attitudes re redheads shocking when I lived there :(

It's same here, last socially acceptable vestige of bullies.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dolbert wrote: »
    Are people seriously worried about their child having red hair? It's not a disease ya know :(
    Nope. I am one and mammy to a gorgeous one. :) l think it was just the name plus colouring that was a potentially odd pairing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I think if you like a name, just go for it. Don't ask opinions as you'll most likely hear something negative. As for the shortened names, I'd agree with just going along with that. A friend of mine called her son Joe and his birth certificate is joe.

We're pretty set on our names although we've a long time to think about them yet but we've two of each then straight away we both agreed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

Any Irish speakers available? Or has anyone heard of the name Damháin? Perhaps, and this is a long shot here, a relation to Devin/Davin? I found it online trawling through a couple of forums, but as we know sometimes they're not to be trusted (unlike you guys!)

Any info on Damháin is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

evifeno wrote: »
    Any Irish speakers available? Or has anyone heard of the name Damháin? Perhaps, and this is a long shot here, a relation to Devin/Davin? I found it online trawling through a couple of forums, but as we know sometimes they're not to be trusted (unlike you guys!)

Any info on Damháin is appreciated!

I worked with a Damhan recently, pronounced Davin, not one person got his name right first go. I liked it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I worked with a Damhan recently, pronounced Davin, not one person got his name right first go. I liked it all the same.

With the fada, I'd pronounce it Da-Vawn (emphasis on the second syllable.)

But the problem it, when you say that out loud, it sounds like one of those mad American names like De-Shawn or Ja-Melle, that are actually spelt that way. I'd say he'd get all kinds of mad variations on it throughout his life!

Also - even if I knew it was an Irish name - I'd probably spell it with the mh, but wouldn't have put in the i.

Most people who read the name won't be able to pronounce it; most people who hear the name won't be able to spell it.

I do love Irish names, but can't say I'd be a fan of that particular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Speaking of Irish names, what's the consensus on Donnacha?

I think it's a great name. :) Really strong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Be prepared for a life of being called "Don't-ya" by those who don't understand.

*sobs uncontrollably*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Be prepared for a life of being called "Don't-ya" by those who don't understand.

*sobs uncontrollably*

Would you suggest not using it so? Be honest, I don't want to lumber a child with an awkward name. Donnacha is the ONE name I would consider breaking my "no awkward to spell or say names" rule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Pretentious imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm not a fan of it at all, though I can only think of one boys name that I do like and that's only because of the person it's attached to :D

Girls names are much easier IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

nc19 wrote: »
    Pretentious imo

Hardly, compared to some of the other names in here.

Would you suggest not using it so? Be honest, I don't want to lumber a child with an awkward name. Donnacha is the ONE name I would consider breaking my "no awkward to spell or say names" rule.

I've only known one Donnacha. He was a boy at a summer camp, when we were around ten years old. He had long flowing auburn locks down to his waist - unheard of at that age, for a boy to have long hair! But it worked for him. All the girls adored him, all the boys wanted to be him. He was my very first crush. :o

I love Irish names, there are very few I'd actually name a child. Donnacha is one of the few!

Of all the things I might say about Donnacha I wouldn't have thought it was pretentious. And yes, girls names are much easier!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

anncoates wrote: »
    Hardly, compared to some of the other names in here.

As I said, imo.

It screams D4 to me. The kind of name some late 30s woman desperately trying to hang on to her looks with a 150e haircut and a Gucci handbag would be calling out to the little 5 yr old brat she spawned, in Dundrum Town centre as he bumps into people while glued to his brand new iPad air

As I said, imo.

It screams D4 to me. The kind of name some late 30s woman desperately trying to hang on to her looks with a 150e haircut and a Gucci handbag would be calling out to the little 5 yr old brat she spawned, in Dundrum Town centre as he bumps into people while glued to his brand new iPad air

Funnily enough, I've never once met a Dublin child named Donnacha. I thought it was more of a Donegal/Sligo name.

As I said, imo.

If it helps, we live far far outside Dublin and have a very unpretentious last name :p

Ok so opinion seems to be a bit split. But regardless of whether you like it or not, how do you feel about it in terms of spelling/pronunciation? It's not the most awkward of the Irish names out there, it's well recognised in Ireland like, but is it still a tricky one? We would go with a very clear easy Anglicised middle name, and I have friends with incredibly Irish names who got on just fine travelling all over the world, but I don't want to burden a kid with a name they will hate/hate us for.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

As I said, imo.

I know a Donnacha who is lovely. But I do see that if you know a little brat with the name it would put you right off.
    If it helps, we live far far outside Dublin and have a very unpretentious last name :p

Ok so opinion seems to be a bit split. But regardless of whether you like it or not, how do you feel about it in terms of spelling/pronunciation? It's not the most awkward of the Irish names out there, it's well recognised in Ireland like, but is it still a tricky one? We would go with a very clear easy Anglicised middle name, and I have friends with incredibly Irish names who got on just fine travelling all over the world, but I don't want to burden a kid with a name they will hate/hate us for.

I remember sorting CV's years ago for a service industry position back when the first few eastern europeans arrived and was impressed that quite a few of them had the phonetic spelling of their name in brackets underneath their name.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    I remember sorting CV's years ago for a service industry position back when the first few eastern europeans arrived and was impressed that quite a few of them had the phonetic spelling of their name in brackets underneath their name.

Genius! Must remember that for 20 years time! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Funnily enough, I've never once met a Dublin child named Donnacha. I thought it was more of a Donegal/Sligo name.

My first thought was the rugby player Donnacha O'Callaghan and I'd hardly call him D4 with that Cork accent! I like the name personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

As I said, imo.

You might be over thinking this one slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I suggested the girl's name Inara to my girlfriend. Refused point blank as it's a name from sci-fi. Then she goes and picks Rory because it's a name of a Doctor Who character.

Grrrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I suggested the girl's name Inara to my girlfriend. Refused point blank as it's a name from sci-fi. Then she goes and picks Rory because it's a name of a Doctor Who character.

Grrrrr.

Do you mean Rory as a girl's name? I get that it's used as a girl's name in America, but in my opinion, it just doesn't work in Ireland. We all knew too many (male!) Rorys while growing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Do you mean Rory as a girl's name? I get that it's used as a girl's name in America, but in my opinion, it just doesn't work in Ireland. We all knew too many (male!) Rorys while growing up!

No, boy's name. It's a grand name but she picked it because it has a sci-fi connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

I like Ruan. He doesn't. He says it reminds him of 'Ruin' as in 'You ruin everything!'

Message received...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I like Ruan, I also like Rian a lot. One of them would have been our boy name had my husband not already really wanted Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

evifeno wrote: »
    I like Ruan. He doesn't. He says it reminds him of 'Ruin' as in 'You ruin everything!'

Message received...

I'd be more inclined to spell it Rudhann

Advertisement