Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'd be more inclined to spell it Rudhann

Almost sure it's Ruadhán and is Irish for Rowan.

I love it but I do get the "ruin" thing too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I like Rowan, I never noticed the "ruin" thing but now I do! :p I love names with that type of sound, Rowan, Owen, Euan, but they don't really go with our name and himself has already vetoed Owen.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Just wondering how you would pronounce the name Aoibhinn? I know the "correct" pronunciation, and that's the one I would like, but I think most people pronounce it a different way and would be afraid I would end up getting really annoyed every time people pronounced it "wrong"? Has anyone else encountered that issue with a name and how do you manage it??
    (I'm putting right and wrong in inverted commas because I know it's all open to interpretation....when I say correct, I mean going by Irish grammar and pronunciation rules).

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

I'd pronounce it like "A-veen". "A" as in "hay", like an elongated A sound. Although I have friends who would say "E-veen", "E" as in "he".

Tbh I'm not sure of I'm right or wrong here but I never had an Aoibhinn correct me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'd pronounce it 'Eaving' but I've heard that spelling being pronounced 'Ayveen' plenty of times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

There's no correct way of pronouncing the name there are regional ways of pronouncing Aoibhinn, one way is ee-veen and another way is ay-veen
    When I'm talking about regional I'm talking about Irish rather than Hiberno-English

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Just wondering how you would pronounce the name Aoibhinn? I know the "correct" pronunciation, and that's the one I would like, but I think most people pronounce it a different way and would be afraid I would end up getting really annoyed every time people pronounced it "wrong"? Has anyone else encountered that issue with a name and how do you manage it??
    (I'm putting right and wrong in inverted commas because I know it's all open to interpretation....when I say correct, I mean going by Irish grammar and pronunciation rules).

I would pronounce it Ee-veen as to me "aoi" is an ee sound.

I find it strange that people disagree on the pronunciation of names like Aoibhe and Aoibhinn but everyone seems to agree that Aoife is pronounced Ee-fa. It's the same "aoi" sound

Xdancer wrote: »
    I would pronounce it Ee-veen as to me "aoi" is an ee sound.

I find it strange that people disagree on the pronunciation of names like Aoibhe and Aoibhinn but everyone seems to agree that Aoife is pronounced Ee-fa. It's the same "aoi" sound

Cool, thanks, that's the same logic I was going by! Eeveen like Aoife! Same logiv with Eabha like Ava and Aoibhe like Eva. But you do hear lots of people pronounce it Ayveen, and I'd be afraid I'd get annoyed, but I think if you called a child a name like that you just have to learn to get over it!!

Stereomatic - what are the regional variations? I didn't realise that - sounds really interesting. Like I know some names (like Roisin and Aine) are pronounced differently in Donegal to the rest of Ireland....is this the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I'd always pronounce it with an EE rather than an AY sound (like Aoife) but I hear it mispronounced all the time. It would definitely put me off calling a child that, it would grate on me every time!

And actually I'd pronounce it EE-vin rather EE-veen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Cool, thanks, that's the same logic I was going by! Eeveen like Aoife! Same logiv with Eabha like Ava and Aoibhe like Eva. But you do hear lots of people pronounce it Ayveen, and I'd be afraid I'd get annoyed, but I think if you called a child a name like that you just have to learn to get over it!!

Stereomatic - what are the regional variations? I didn't realise that - sounds really interesting. Like I know some names (like Roisin and Aine) are pronounced differently in Donegal to the rest of Ireland....is this the same?
    I'm not sure of the regions but I've heard gaelgeoirí pronounce the name differently (maybe it's not regional and might be determined by when or where they've learnt Irish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I know a few Ailbhe's, but one pronounces it Ale-veh, and it really messes me up with ones who say Al-va! I thought it was Al-va, so why would you give your kid an odd pronunciation?

I would say Ay-veen, even though I would say Aoife and usually get halfway through saying Ay-veen then realise I messed up the Ee-veen sound :o I think it's because I grew up with Aoife so I know it, but I only heard Aoibhinn about 3 years ago so my brain just sees the A and goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I would instinctively say Ay-veen, but both are legitimate pronunciations. I know an Aoife who pronounces her name Ay-fa, though. Both pronunciations are lovely, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Fluent Irish speaker+Primary School múinteoir here, Aoibhinn is pronounced "Ee-veen" and there are no regional variations pertaining to those sounds. The only aural differences would be down to personal accents.

The Irish language is not open to interpretation when it comes to pronunciation. No-one argues over the pronunciation of "Mary" or "Elizabeth" and people should show similar respect when it comes to the use of Irish names

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I would instinctively say Ay-veen,.

I'm usually terrible with Irish pronounciations but that's how I'd pronounce it as say a lay person

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

Fluent Irish speaker+Primary School múinteoir here, Aoibhinn is pronounced "Ee-veen" and there are no regional variations pertaining to those sounds. The only aural differences would be down to personal accents.

The Irish language is not open to interpretation when it comes to pronunciation. No-one argues over the pronunciation of "Mary" or "Elizabeth" and people should show similar respect when it comes to the use of Irish names

Excellent, a múinteoir! May I ask, have you ever taught any Róise's? Or come across the name Róise? (Pron 'Row-sha')

I hear it's popular in Ulster, but not so much down here.... yet!

evifeno wrote: »
    Excellent, a múinteoir! May I ask, have you ever taught any Róise's? Or come across the name Róise? (Pron 'Row-sha')

I LOVE that name too, and that's how I would pronounce it. He thinks it's too weird though, and that anyone who sees it would think it's a misspelling of Rosie!

Glad to see some sort of alignment on Aoibhinn! So the question would be would the "wrong" pronunciations annoy me so much that it's off the list!! :(

Evifeno, I have taught Britneys, Shanias, Demis and Mercedes but no Róises nor Róisíns either for that matter

I have,however, lost count of the number of little Ellas and Jacks at school! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

How about the pronunciation of Bebhinn. The only Bebhinns I've met have been pronounced Bevin but there seems to be a few different spellings and pronunciations floating about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'd pronounce it as Bay-veen, no idea if that's right or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

FAndango

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

I LOVE that name too, and that's how I would pronounce it. He thinks it's too weird though, and that anyone who sees it would think it's a misspelling of Rosie!

Glad to see some sort of alignment on Aoibhinn! So the question would be would the "wrong" pronunciations annoy me so much that it's off the list!! :(

I love the name Róise, but like you I'm afraid it will be mistaken for "Rosie". There's a little girl that lives in my area and her name is Róise but her mam spells it 'Rocha'. To me that spelling sounds like "Rosh-a" as in John Rocha the designer.

HazelBee wrote: »
    How about the pronunciation of Bebhinn. The only Bebhinns I've met have been pronounced Bevin but there seems to be a few different spellings and pronunciations floating about.

I'd pronounce it Bevin too, but maybe Beveen is right, given that Aoibhinn is Eeveen...?! I wouldn't say Bay-veen though unless there was a fada over the e!:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Róis and Róise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I love the name Róise, it's gorgeous. Pronunciation in Ulster is like "Rocha" though, as in John Rocha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I really like the name Aoibhinn too but wouldn't like it pronounced Ay-veen. I know a girl who's pronunciation of her name is 'even' which I though was nice too.

I have my heart set on one girls name and am desperately trying to think of another just incase, but by god it's a hard task :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

evifeno wrote: »

I don't know where "down here" is, but I'm in Cork, and I know 4 Róise's under the age of 8. And even more Róisíns.

It's fairly popular, don't think you'd have anyone unable to pronounce it around here.

I'm not a fan of either of them tbh, but that's just my own preference. I prefer more globally understood names than the super-localised irish ones. I'd probably go with Rosa or Rose variants.

What does anyone think of Penelope with Poppy as a potential nickname? Penny the obvious nickname but apparently poppy is legit too and we had poppy on our list seperately but not sure it suits a grown up!

Want something very girly, easy to spell and outside top 20. Only 5 weeks left & finding it so difficult! Already have Noah & Sophia and adore their names!

Other possibilities are
    Rebecca,
    Chloe (both lovely but a bit over popular/done), Amaya (but would get lumped with all the Mias & Mayas),
    Elodie (but don't like Elle/Ellie) or
    Lola (but DH can't get past the kinks song)
    Clara (but most people pronounce it like Lara which I don't like)
    Willow (but makes me think of weeping willow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 princesselm

What does anyone think of Penelope with Poppy as a potential nickname? Penny the obvious nickname but apparently poppy is legit too and we had poppy on our list seperately but not sure it suits a grown up!

Want something very girly, easy to spell and outside top 20. Only 5 weeks left & finding it so difficult! Already have Noah & Sophia and adore their names!

Other possibilities are
    Rebecca,
    Chloe (both lovely but a bit over popular/done), Amaya (but would get lumped with all the Mias & Mayas),
    Elodie (but don't like Elle/Ellie) or
    Lola (but DH can't get past the kinks song)
    Clara (but most people pronounce it like Lara which I don't like)
    Willow (but makes me think of weeping willow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I don't like Penelope but I think Poppy is very cute actually, my husband hates really girly names though so it's out for us. Out of the others I like Clara, very pretty. Elodie is nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I like Clara - but how else is it pronounced that doesn't rhyme with Lara? Never heard it any other way!

Advertisement