Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I like Clara - but how else is it pronounced that doesn't rhyme with Lara? Never heard it any other way!

Maybe she means they put more emphasis on the first a. So pronounced claara instead of Clara sounding more like Cara? I get what she means, I'm just not describing it very well! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If you like Chloe, how about Clodagh? I know it's coming back into fashion though. I like penny! My cats nickname is poppy so I personally avoid that lol!
    I agree with your hubby on Lola. Everyone will hear the song in their head when you introduce her and its not a good link to have! Rude people may even sing / mention it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I don't know what song you're talking about, I kind of like Lola, it beats Lily, the most common name of the last 3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I don't know what song you're talking about, I kind of like Lola, it beats Lily, the most common name of the last 3 years!

I love Lola too but it's a very common name in these parts.

Xdancer wrote: »

Suppose it depends where you are, the name we've picked for ours is not common at all here but very popular in the UK from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Xdancer wrote: »
    I love it too(both the name and the song:))...not very common here...I only know one little girl called Lola....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 princesselm

Thanks all.

Yeah the clara I knew as s child pronounced it with kind of a longer sound in the middle, hard to describe in writing. Love it but hate clara like Lara and think I'd get annoyed at people saying it "wrong".

Love Poppy but think it's too cutesy for a grown woman so when I found out it's a nickname for Penelope, which is also on our list it seemed like fate!

Think Penelope and Chloe are the front runners, just wish Chloe was more original!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Suppose it depends where you are, the name we've picked for ours is not common at all here but very popular in the UK from what I can see.

Our daughter's name is relatively popular in the UK too (the English version even more so) but there isn't another one around here :)

Babyblab wrote: »
    What does anyone think of Penelope with Poppy as a potential nickname? Penny the obvious nickname but apparently poppy is legit too and we had poppy on our list seperately but not sure it suits a grown up!

Want something very girly, easy to spell and outside top 20. Only 5 weeks left & finding it so difficult! Already have Noah & Sophia and adore their names!

Other possibilities are
    Rebecca,
    Chloe (both lovely but a bit over popular/done), Amaya (but would get lumped with all the Mias & Mayas),
    Elodie (but don't like Elle/Ellie) or
    Lola (but DH can't get past the kinks song)
    Clara (but most people pronounce it like Lara which I don't like)
    Willow (but makes me think of weeping willow!)

Why call her Penelope, if you plan on calling her poppy as a nickname?
    Seems really silly!
    I would never call Penelope, poppy.

Just call her poppy if you like it!

Because, like I said, I love Poppy but don't think its substantial enough a name for a grown woman. I like Penelope too so would call her that and if there came a time that nickname was used we'd use Poppy rather than Penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Frog Song wrote: »
    Maybe she means they put more emphasis on the first a. So pronounced claara instead of Clara sounding more like Cara? I get what she means, I'm just not describing it very well! :o

Clara, Lara and Cara all have a similar sound to me, to be honest. I'd pronounce them all rhyming the same, with no difference in emphasis on each syllable.

I have heard Lara pronounced similar to Laura before, which I don't like ... is that what you mean? Pronouncing Clara more like Claura? That sounds horrible alright! But I've never heard anyone saying it that way.

Cara to me is more like Car-ah.

Lara more like Lah-ra.

Does that make sense?

So would favour the former pronunciation for Clara but think most people would use the latter.

Cara to me is more like Car-ah.

Lara more like Lah-ra.

Does that make sense?

So would favour the former pronunciation for Clara but think most people would use the latter.

I'm just thinking "Clara Lara", you know the adventure park (not sure if it even still exists!) That's how I would pronounce both names, and they definitely rhyme.

I love the name Clara, I like the name Cara, I amn't so fond of Lara. But all three would sound the same, as regards rhyming, to me.

I do get that Lara is sometimes pronounced in (to be honest) quite a knackery way, like Laaa-raaaa ... but people could pronounce Cara or Clara with the exact same inflection!

I do think it's a name you should avoid if you want to pronounce it differently than most, though. You/your daughter will only end up being annoyed over mispronunciation all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

Or you could have the middle ground and go with lilah, I like it but not enough to call ours but could be a good option. Girls names are so much easier for us, the only boys name that any way jumped out at us was Walt but literally nobody we've told it to has liked it so we're a bit disheartened. Why is this such a big responsibility! Also on the mention of poppy I love it and my oh vetoed it because he reckons it's a stripper name because they pop their ass :P so funny the links some people make!

I actually quite like Walt/Walter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why call her Penelope, if you plan on calling her poppy as a nickname?
    Seems really silly!
    I would never call Penelope, poppy.

Just call her poppy if you like it!

I always think its good to have a long name and a short name.

I was named a short name that comes from a long name but my birth cert is the short name. I actually prefer the long version of my name.

I think if you call them the long version on the birth cert and then call them by their short name, when the child gets older, they can choose which one they like and introduce themselves as they want to be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Any opinions on Síne, Siún or Róise, good bad or indifferent?Or maybe you can suggest some Irish names you wouldn't hear too often.

Any opinions on Síne, Siún or Róise, good bad or indifferent?Or maybe you can suggest some Irish names you wouldn't hear too often.

The third would be my favourite of the three. :) (Sorry can't type it as I'm on my phone, it doesn't do fadas!) Aoibhe is my favourite Irish name, I also like Clodagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

The third would be my favourite of the three. :) (Sorry can't type it as I'm on my phone, it doesn't do fadas!) Aoibhe is my favourite Irish name, I also like Clodagh.

Aoibhe is a lovely name but the whole Eva/Ava thing would drive me nuts. My husband suggested one name during the whole of my last pregnancy, Clodagh. He said any Clodagh he ever met was grand and sensible therefore it would be a good name :) I can see the same thing happening this time as last time, two of us in the delivery room looking at the baby and going through the Internet trying out names on him/her while the midwife looks on laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy wrote: »
    I can see the same thing happening this time as last time, two of us in the delivery room looking at the baby and going through the Internet trying out names on him/her while the midwife looks on laughing.

OMG, how did I miss this? Many many congrats Roesy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    OMG, how did I miss this? Many many congrats Roesy!

Thanks! Due early July, if this one is anything like its sister he or she will probably make an appearance around August :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I told my OH; he reckons we need to cracking IMMEDIATELY on #2 :D He's competitive like that!

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a Siún , it is a pretty name.
    I like Róise but prefer Róisín.
    I have never heard of Síne but love Sinéad.
    I love Aisling,Dearbhail,Dearbhla,Meabhdh,Aoife,Caoilfhionn,Alannah,Síofra,Siobhán ,I love a lot of names:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Meabhdh

Meabhdh? Bloody heck, that's actually a name? that's probably the worst version of any irish name I've ever seen! Why the "dh" added on at the end?

As an aside, I really dislike Síofra - it tends to be used as a word for brat, I've found. I remember while growing up, if someone was bold they'd be referred to as "a right little Síofra".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

kieran. wrote: »
    Really love Jacob wanted to call our last son Jacob but couldn't get Mrs Kieran convinced.

Having a girl in January and our four names this time are Juliet, Georgina, Victoria and Felicity. Going to try to get Felicity over the line this time :)

So the big day has came and gonna didn't succeed in getting Felicity over the line in fact in the time that past from my post had changed onto Scarlet which got to the the final choice of two name but as we ended up with Georgina as it just sat well with her :)

tinkerbell wrote: »

As an aside, I really dislike Síofra - it tends to be used as a word for brat, I've found. I remember while growing up, if someone was bold they'd be referred to as "a right little Síofra".

I have never heard it used as anything other than the name it is, that must be a particularly colloquial thing. Never heard it used for a brat, why would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

So the big day has came and gonna didn't succeed in getting Felicity over the line in fact in the time that past from my post had changed onto Scarlet which got to the the final choice of two name but as we ended up with Georgina as it just sat well with her :)

Ahh congrats enjoy Georgina !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Congrats!
    I have never heard it used as an[HTML][/HTML]ything other than the name it is, that must be a particularly colloquial thing. Never heard it used for a brat, why would it be?

Doesn't it mean fairy in Irish? Maybe that's why - like calling someone impish or something. I've never heard it used that way either though!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I have never heard it used as anything other than the name it is, that must be a particularly colloquial thing. Never heard it used for a brat, why would it be?

My mother always says it for a little brat too, I've heard several people from different parts of the country say it over the years so the name always reminds me of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Meabhdh?

I think that's actually wrong! It's the dh first isn't it?

Meadhbh rather than Meabhdh.

Advertisement