Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

pwurple wrote: »
    I think that's actually wrong! It's the dh first isn't it?

Meadhbh rather than Meabhdh.

Still don't like it! It just looks ridiculous with the dhbh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I wouldn't associate the Irish for fairy/changeling with being a brat, never heard it. Must definitely be a thing local to certain areas, so I'm sure anyone considering it as a name doesn't live in one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭karareilly

Had luke for a boy picked and hayley for a girl, had a ikle boy ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think that's actually wrong! It's the dh first isn't it?

Meadhbh rather than Meabhdh.

Both are correct spellings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Moonbeam wrote: »

Are you sure ...?

I can see how the dh in Meadhbh could be silent. (Still some unnecessary letters, but, ok.)

I can't see how a random dh tagged onto the end of the name Meabh - making it Meabhdh - is in any way consistent with Irish grammatical rules. :confused: It just makes no sense! If you sound it out in your head ... Why is the dh there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Myself and OH are going to come to blows over names at this stage lol. He is from a massive family, lots of cousins that have children and they all interact regularly. I dont want a name that has been used in his family already, or a name that has been in the top 10 for the last 5 years running, so the child will have the same name as 4 or 5 others in his class.
    He wants a 'good solid name' but thats as far as his input has gotten, he wont actually suggest a name, but will shoot down every single name I suggest for one reason or another. Maybe I'm just being too fussy :o but it was soooo much easier when it came to picking a name for my daughter.

Names I like at the moment are Nathan, Lorcan, Jake, Alfie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you sure ...?

I can see how the dh in Meadhbh could be silent. (Still some unnecessary letters, but, ok.)

I can't see how a random dh tagged onto the end of the name Meabh - making it Meabhdh - is in any way consistent with Irish grammatical rules. :confused: It just makes no sense! If you sound it out in your head ... Why is the dh there?

Well, as it's a name, rather than a word, you can spell it any way you like and it's correct!

My brain would struggle with the Irish pronunciation of it as well when reversed, makes no sense to the rules in my head... but then I've heard plenty of variation in how irish is being pronounced as people use it in names. I've got three friends with Rían's in their families, with different pronunciations required for each. (Ryan, Ree-ann and Ree-awn)

Same for Aislinn (Ais-lynn and ais-ling), Róise (Rosey and Ro-sha) and ,most bizarrely to me, Cathal. (Cah-hal and Cah-hawl)

We've just got to suck it up and remember them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well, as it's a name, rather than a word, you can spell it any way you like and it's correct!

My brain would struggle with the Irish pronunciation of it as well when reversed, makes no sense to the rules in my head... but then I've heard plenty of variation in how irish is being pronounced as people use it in names. I've got three friends with Rían's in their families, with different pronunciations required for each. (Ryan, Ree-ann and Ree-awn)

Same for Aislinn (Ais-lynn and ais-ling), Róise (Rosey and Ro-sha) and ,most bizarrely to me, Cathal. (Cah-hal and Cah-hawl)

We've just got to suck it up and remember them all!

This is what puts me and hubby off Irish names. And i love them when i hear them and i'm always tempted but he has an Irish name he wouldn't inflict it on anyone especially in the increasingly cosmopolitan world we live in today (more reason to use Irish names i'm sure in some peoples' eyes). My brother moved to the States nearly 20yrs ago and had to change the spelling of his name to an English equivalent. Such a shame when some of the names sound so beautiful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

ariana` wrote: »
    This is what puts me and hubby off Irish names. And i love them when i hear them and i'm always tempted but he has an Irish name he wouldn't inflict it on anyone especially in the increasingly cosmopolitan world we live in today (more reason to use Irish names i'm sure in some peoples' eyes). My brother moved to the States nearly 20yrs ago and had to change the spelling of his name to an English equivalent. Such a shame when some of the names sound so beautiful :(

Why do people think that Irish names have a monopoly on being difficult? I really think that a lot of people in this country have a hangover from compulsory Irish in school. Lots of English names can be pronounced and spelt in a variety of ways depending on the person's preference and local dialect. Take Thomas; it can be Tom, Tommy, Tomás, Thom, Thos and then people get into a debate about how you pronounce the 'th' sound and that's a 'normal' name!

In the increasingly cosmopolitan world we live in, we should be accustomed to coming across foreign and difficult to pronounce names. I have yet to meet a Polish student for example, who completely changed his/her name to suit the teacher. I taught English in Australia for a while and the South Korean students picked an American or English name for the duration of their course, as they were under the impression that their names were too difficult for the teachers to pronounce. I thought it was incredibly sad.

We can order Indian food, travel abroad and complain about the dust cloud from that Icelandic volcano, but somehow can't manage to get our heads around the fact that a name like Sadhbh is pronounced 'Sive'. If you have a 'difficult' name, the people who matter will make the effort to pronounce it. Not making the effort to get it right is simply rude.

/rant over;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mum2be

Moonbeam wrote: »

This is incorrect, if you use a dh or not in the spelling of the name it should always end with a bh as that is what gives it a v sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Alessandro and Benedict are good 'uns for lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We can order Indian food, travel abroad and complain about the dust cloud from that Icelandic volcano, but somehow can't manage to get our heads around the fact that a name like Sadhbh is pronounced 'Sive'. If you have a 'difficult' name, the people who matter will make the effort to pronounce it. Not making the effort to get it right is simply rude.

/rant over;)

I have no issue with the pronunciation of Irish names, as long as it is consistent and correct.

People insisting on pronouncing something as if it has a fada, when it doesn't, or vice versa, is vaguely confusing.

And Sadhbh is a great name!

I have no issue with the pronunciation of Irish names, as long as it is consistent and correct.

People insisting on pronouncing something as if it has a fada, when it doesn't, or vice versa, is vaguely confusing.

Or sticking in random fadas that don't make sense.

I once met an Áoife. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

karareilly wrote: »
    Had luke for a boy picked and hayley for a girl, had a ikle boy ;)

Worth it just so the dad can say "Luke, I am your father"

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Any opinions on Síne, Siún or Róise, good bad or indifferent?Or maybe you can suggest some Irish names you wouldn't hear too often.

Out of the three, I like Róise. In fact its my favorite girls name atm followed by Méabh & Cara. I also like Siún, but not enough as a top contender. Haven't heard of Síne, how do you pronounce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Out of the three, I like Róise. In fact its my favorite girls name atm followed by Méabh & Cara. I also like Siún, but not enough as a top contender. Haven't heard of Síne, how do you pronounce it?

Síne is pronounced like Sheena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi there, heard a lovely girls names recently, it was pronounced De-rin, how should this be spelt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Doireann

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

The name is spelt Doireann in Irish and is of Irish origin. There are lots of female Irish names with pronunciations here:

forvo.com/languages/ga/tag/female_given_name/by-popularity/

and for the boys:

forvo.com/languages/ga/tag/male_given_name/by-popularity/

We went with the name Íde for your daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If our third is a girl we are thinking of Una, i saw online that it could be spelt Una or Oonagh. Just wondering if the second is a bit pretentious looking ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    If our third is a girl we are thinking of Una, i saw online that it could be spelt Una or Oonagh. Just wondering if the second is a bit pretentious looking ?

I don't know about pretentious looking, but I MUCH prefer Una.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Unas lovely and nicer way of spelling it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, will probably go with Una so! :) (and likely change our minds a bajillion times in the next few months, but Una it is for now!)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Due in just under 3 weeks....

Between Ailbhe and Clodagh. The boyf likes Clíodhna/Clíona but I am not mad on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

I like both Ailbhe and Clodagh but if I had to pick I would definitely go with Ailbhe. I think it's a lovely name.

I've thought of Cliona before but it never really grew on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

chuckster wrote: »
    I like both Ailbhe and Clodagh but if I had to pick I would definitely go with Ailbhe. I think it's a lovely name.

I've thought of Cliona before but it never really grew on me.

Thanks. I am leaning towards Ailbhe too :-) My main fear with it though is that people will pronounce it wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

No don't worry about that. It's a beautiful name and if that is what u love then go for it. I have a Caoimhe and I live abroad so I am constantly asked about her name and how to spell/pronounce it and despite a few confused looks people really like it and we get a lot of compliments about it.

I think older, less heard of Irish names are coming back into fashion. For example I met the one and only Ailbhe I know at 24, never heard it before... Thought it was unusual then but now I think it's lovely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Ailbhe and like Clíodhna,I am not a fan of Clodagh .
    Does he have a 2nd choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Ailbhe is lovely and I think people will know how to pronounce it fine. I have an Irish name and lived abroad for years with it even and it's grand. You tell someone once and then they know how to pronounce from then on :)

Advertisement