Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

What's everyone's thoughts on Millie? We started calling the bump Millie a few months ago and now family are too and not sure if we can shake it! :D

Millie is a lovely name. Also agree milly might be a nicer spelling.

Bump is bubs for us...haha not a keeper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I completely forgot about this thread! We were the same bump was named and it stuck with baby!

Time to unfollow until the next time I have to name a mini me 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

that pic is so cute lashes lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Hilarious!

Maybe not cute due to whale size of me and I wasn't even on maternity leave there !

Everyone my bump it so I couldn't imagine calling her anything else.
    Ah the excitement of picking a name would nearly put the want on you lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

nearly!only for being in the midst of teething!!

Exactly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Friend of a friend recently named their baby boy Archie.

Each to their own opinion etc but honestly, first thing I thought was, that's a puppy name!

Not pregnant, but I love the name Daniel - but unfortunately with the surname the poor child would end up being called Danny Flanny.
    Means I can't go with Annie for a girl either!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think Archie is such a cute name! Though I do know somebody with a little boy named Archie and he's adorable so I associate it with him as opposed to puppies. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I have come across a lot of Archies and Alfies, mainly among British expats here. They must be quite popular in Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

The Cool wrote: »
    Friend of a friend recently named their baby boy Archie.

Each to their own opinion etc but honestly, first thing I thought was, that's a puppy name!

Not pregnant, but I love the name Daniel - but unfortunately with the surname the poor child would end up being called Danny Flanny.
    Means I can't go with Annie for a girl either!

I'm a Daniel, as can be seen, and shorten it to Dan so my full name is just six letters, it's great!

But yeah, Danny Flanny wouldn't be too great now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

What do people think of Barbara?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

What do people think of Barbara?

No way - don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Barbara? Unless there's a special reason, no. But these things are HUGELY subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

If you're happy for it to become Barbie go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

There were a few Barbaras in school with me and while I'm not gone on it as a name none of them were shortened to Barbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

There were a few Barbaras in school with me and while I'm not gone on it as a name none of them were shortened to Barbie.
    The ones I knew were shortened to Babs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

What you think of Shayna for a girl? I think you can also spell as Shanna but pronounced shay na.

I thought this was quite nice but husband and family didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ramonarosie

I loveee Fiadh (fia) <3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Saralee4 wrote: »
    What you think of Shayna for a girl? I think you can also spell as Shanna but pronounced shay na.

I thought this was quite nice but husband and family didn't like it.

The sound of it is lovely, but the spelling is made up. To make it look more Irish, I've seen it spelt Séana. Shanna would be pronounced exactly as it's spelt.

• Advertisement

The sound of it is lovely, but the spelling is made up. To make it look more Irish, I've seen it spelt Séana. Shanna would be pronounced exactly as it's spelt.

I just looked it up and shayna is the real spelling but it's not irish. It's yiddish the language of ashkenazic Jews meaning beautiful. It's a variant of Shaina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Sarah and Rachel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Thoughts on Sophia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thoughts on Sophia ?

Beautiful name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thoughts on Sophia ?

I think it's become way too popular over time.

That and my incessant watching of that ridiculously well-mannered Disney princess with my daughter on weekday mornings has really put me off :pac:

I'm at a complete and utter loss for girl names. Have cycled through every single one I like and can't get OH to agree on any bar one (Katie). And as soon as I said it in passing in front of my (extremely disliked) grandmother, she said "Oh that's lovely, I did think you'd end up naming one of them after me!" (Her name is Kathleen).

Well that was THAT name scratched off the list!

Since he/she is most likely to be a December baby, I also though Holly - OH thinks it's too cliche.
    I also liked Gracie, and Lacey - neither of which he really likes, but he did think that Gracie was the least bad of them all :pac:
    Massive no for Edith, Edie, Eleanor, Elizabeth, Emmaline and Emily. He said no old-fashioned English biddy names (even though first daughter was named Abigail by his choice :pac: )

We have our boy name picked since last time - Elliot. We have George and Theodore as backups!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Saralee4 wrote: »
    I just looked it up and shayna is the real spelling but it's not irish. It's yiddish the language of ashkenazic Jews meaning beautiful. It's a variant of Shaina.

Apologies. Presumed it was an anglicisation and feminisation of Shane/Sean. I love the sound, never would have copped it was Jewish.

Apologies. Presumed it was an anglicisation and feminisation of Shane/Sean. I love the sound, never would have copped it was Jewish.

Yea I didn't know where it came from originally myself! I do like it but my husband seems dead set against. I reckon the only thing about it is that you might get people pronouncing it wrong a lot. Back to the drawing board! :)

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I think it's become way too popular over time.

That and my incessant watching of that ridiculously well-mannered Disney princess with my daughter on weekday mornings has really put me off :pac:

I'm at a complete and utter loss for girl names. Have cycled through every single one I like and can't get OH to agree on any bar one (Katie). And as soon as I said it in passing in front of my (extremely disliked) grandmother, she said "Oh that's lovely, I did think you'd end up naming one of them after me!" (Her name is Kathleen).

Well that was THAT name scratched off the list!

Since he/she is most likely to be a December baby, I also though Holly - OH thinks it's too cliche.
    I also liked Gracie, and Lacey - neither of which he really likes, but he did think that Gracie was the least bad of them all :pac:
    Massive no for Edith, Edie, Eleanor, Elizabeth, Emmaline and Emily. He said no old-fashioned English biddy names (even though first daughter was named Abigail by his choice :pac: )

We have our boy name picked since last time - Elliot. We have George and Theodore as backups!

I think Emmaline is lovely and Emmy for short but once again husbands a no :)

Blingy wrote: »
    Beautiful name.

+1

• Advertisement

It wasn't until we were going through names that I realised how many people from the past had made a bad impression on me to the point I didn't like their name :D

Advertisement