Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'm a primary teacher, just about every name gets spoiled by a brat you've encountered at some stage! The only name that has been consistent as always being nice kids is Ben.
    There are mountains of Sophias and Caras coming through.

RE Barbara becoming Barbie, I know two or three.

We have two lists

Girls:
    Charlotte (Charlie)
    Zoe
    Sarah
    Eve (Evie)
    Maeve
    Kate
    Jessica
    Anna Beth

Boys ( We don't even know if we like half of these!!)
    Stephen
    Sam
    Leon
    Darragh
    James
    Benjamin
    Nathaniel (Nate)
    Lucas (Luke)
    Aidan
    Aaron
    Conor
    Oliver
    Alistair
    Hugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Eneas is a grand Irish name, quite popular out Mayo way, pronounced Anus

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Eneas is a grand Irish name, quite popular out Mayo way, pronounced Anus

Mod:

Troll like that again in Parenting and it'll be cards and bans handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Is Finley a unisex name?
    Thought it was a boys name but looking online i see it may also be a girls name!

Wasn't there a girl in home and away years ago called Finley?
    Also a surname.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Name for A Boy........ Ronan

Name for A Girl ........ Ella

We love both of the names so hopefully itl happen :-)
    just the one will do us fine :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

For a girl

Sarah - Louise
    Amelia - Louise
    Isabella - Grace

For a boy

John
    Ben
    Conor
    Ethan (Hubbie doesnt like this one)
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Funny how names come and go in popularity. My kid is in a creche with about a dozen others but there's two of each of Emily, Elly, Darragh and Tom but no Niamh, Aisling, Sarah, Shane or Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Thank god we have finally come up with a name after we had confirmation we are having a girl the other day.

Im not going to say what we picked but its a very short name.

Anyway other names we had picked were:

Andrea
    Melissa
    Fay
    Alice

If it had been a boy i liked:

Dara
    Killian
    Stephen
    Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Thoughts on the name Ailbhe? Overdone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

anna080 wrote: »

The child will be spelling the name down a phone for life.

Why not Anna after you? Beautiful name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I really like it. :)

In fact I love loads of Irish names. I just wouldn't use one myself because I know personally it would annoy me if I had a name I had to constantly spell out or correct the pronunciation. (I imagine most people will spell it Alva when they hear it, and many will be unsure of the correct pronunciation.)

That wouldn't bother many people though, so go for it if you like it. If I were going to use an Irish name, it would be Aoibhe - I just LOVE it. (Again, though, it would end up being spelled Eva most of the time, which puts me off!)

Oh and I don't think it's overdone at all, in fact I can only ever remember meeting two Ailbhes in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

If we ever have another girl I think a name in the running could be Freya. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Sligo1 wrote: »
    If we ever have another girl I think a name in the running could be Freya. Any thoughts?

Freya is a lovely name. It's on my list along with Faye and Olivia if I ever have a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I wouldn't be a fan but that might be because I associate it with an underwear brand.

Xdancer wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan but that might be because I associate it with an underwear brand.

Lol lol. O yea! I wear Freya!!! Lol lol. And I never even thought of that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Lol lol. O yea! I wear Freya!!! Lol lol. And I never even thought of that!!

I hope I haven't spoiled the name for you. :)

Xdancer wrote: »
    I hope I haven't spoiled the name for you. :)

Lol. No not at all. I think it's a really pretty name. Besides... The Freya bras are really pretty aswell! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Due in August with a little girl and we are planning on calling her Eva.
    I love it and so does my OH.
    I also really like Evie (could've put Genevieve on the birth cert,my names Jennifer so would be nice too) but himself thinks its too similar to evil! Where he got that from,nobody knows but he turned me off it lol

Evie is high on my list too,never thought of it as Genevieve,girl from home us called that and just uses Genny.

A girl I taught last year was called Eva,the kids in class got it wrong from day one and think her name is Aoife!! She never corrected them! Still like Eva though.

Freya is another name teaching has ruined but its so pretty,they mention the God Freya a lot in Norse mythology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

pooch90 wrote:
    A girl I taught last year was called Eva,the kids in class got it wrong from day one and think her name is Aoife!! She never corrected them! Still like Eva though.

Oh no! I've had a few people say Aoife? When I said Eva. I hope they don't get mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I love it, any Ailbhes I know are 30+, so not overdone at all, in fact I'd say it might be a bit unusual. It's a really pretty name. I wouldn't worry about the spelling, I have a very common, easy to spell name and people get it wrong all the time.

Oh no! I've had a few people say Aoife? When I said Eva. I hope they don't get mixed up

Just get Eva printed all over her babygros ;)

I think once you're very specific in your pronunciation of it they won't get jumbled up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Due in August with a little girl and we are planning on calling her Eva.
    I love it and so does my OH.
    I also really like Evie (could've put Genevieve on the birth cert,my names Jennifer so would be nice too) but himself thinks its too similar to evil! Where he got that from,nobody knows but he turned me off it lol

An alternative could be Evelyn? I think that's a beautiful name, and you could always shorten it to Eve/Eva/Evie. I also love the Irish version, Eibhlín.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Freya is another name teaching has ruined but its so pretty,they mention the God Freya a lot in Norse mythology.

Is Freya a popular name in your school? The reason I was thinking of it is because I was trying to get away from the more popular names and I don't know of anyone who has named their little one Freya :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

It's gonna be Layla and Alessandro for me!

There is only one in my school and she is the only one I've met in 9 years of teaching. One of my friends called his daughter Freya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Having a girl but heard a boys name today that i thought was nice, Ennis

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the name Genevieve.
    There are loads of small children called Freya around atm but it is still a lovely name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 tamcp

My son is called Odhran

Advertisement