Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Watching that Christina Noble documentary tonight and the director's name is Ciarín, I think it's fabulous. I don't know if it's a female version of Ciaran or a diminutive of Ciara, but it has a lovely sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Watching that Christina Noble documentary tonight and the director's name is Ciarín, I think it's fabulous. I don't know if it's a female version of Ciaran or a diminutive of Ciara, but it has a lovely sound.

I've never heard that one before, it does sound lovely! I'd be more inclined to spell it as Ciairín though, the caol le caol agus leathan le leathan was really drilled into us in primary school! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

After much battling and OH making fun of my obsession of having a name picked so early, we have finally settled on Lucy Claire for a girl :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    After much battling and OH making fun of my obsession of having a name picked so early, we have finally settled on Lucy Claire for a girl :P

Lucy was my mothers name and my name is Clare :p. Although the wierder thing is that myself and husband have the same first names of his parents! It got really confusing when we went on holidays together, ebookers rang me back twice to confirm I hadn't double booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Our little girl is Ella.Love the name.My only hesitation was that it seems to be very common.I grew up with my name being mispelt and mispronounced so I think subconsciously I wanted to give my children "easy" names:P

• Advertisement

ElectraX wrote: »
    Our little girl is Ella.Love the name.My only hesitation was that it seems to be very common.I grew up with my name being mispelt and mispronounced so I think subconsciously I wanted to give my children "easy" names:P

We called our first Abigail.
    Although its not the most common name, it's pretty well known, and I figured that everyone would know.

On her first visit to the hospital, they wrote Abi Gail XXX. Everyone was convinced that her name was Abi and her middle name was Gail, despite me saying the full name Abigail Paige. I really don't know with some people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I'm liking Harriet for a girl and James for a boy... But that could all change when Squish arrives :)
    Although my 16 year old nephew is called Jamie, do you think I could get away with calling mine James or is it too similar??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I love Harriet but I prefer my friends spelling of harriette. Not sure why tho! Is your nephews name really James and Jamie a nick name? If so I'd steer clear but if not you could chance it. There's quite a big age gap

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

His name is Jamie, so maybe we could get away with it!
    I mentioned it to my Sister and she didn't see a problem with it...

I actually prefer the spelling Harriette aswell, I think it looks more feminine or something. Choosing names is so much harder than you'd think!!

I'd pronounce Harriette differently to Harriet - with Harriette I'd put the emphasis on the third syllable, whereas with Harriet I'd put the emphasis on the first syllable. Personally I much prefer Harriet.

• Advertisement

I'd pronounce Harriette differently to Harriet - with Harriette I'd put the emphasis on the third syllable, whereas with Harriet I'd put the emphasis on the first syllable. Personally I much prefer Harriet.

I'd be the same, I'd pronounce the Ette like in Antoinette.
    My general rule for names is if it can't be pronounced the way it is normally spelt, it probably can't be pronounced the way you are trying to spell it.
    My own name is a perfect example. No matter what way you spell Alisha when you write it down, the odds of someone reading it right are astronomically low. And I've written it just about any way I could think of, just to see if people would find it easier. I've gotten plain Ashling (where is the G in Alisha????), Al-Eesh-Ay, Al-ish-Ah, Eilish, and Alice.
    I think it's easier to stick to the normal spelling, at the end of the day, changing the spelling and not the sound is irrelevant until the child is old enough to sign their name and have someone repeat it back to them!

My own name is a perfect example. No matter what way you spell Alisha when you write it down, the odds of someone reading it right are astronomically low. And I've written it just about any way I could think of, just to see if people would find it easier. I've gotten plain Ashling (where is the G in Alisha????), Al-Eesh-Ay, Al-ish-Ah, Eilish, and Alice.

So just to check I'm doing it right! I'd pronounce your name Ah-leesh-ah, with the emphasis on the middle syllable? Is that correct?

And the name Alicia is pronounced the exact same, is that right? (I remember reading it in an Enid Blyton series as a child and I always used to pronounce it in my head as Ah-liss-ee-ah. :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

So just to check I'm doing it right! I'd pronounce your name Ah-leesh-ah, with the emphasis on the middle syllable? Is that correct?

And the name Alicia is pronounced the exact same, is that right? (I remember reading it in an Enid Blyton series as a child and I always used to pronounce it in my head as Ah-liss-ee-ah. :o )

I agree with how you pronounce Alisha.

But IMHO Alicia is pronounced Ah-liss-ee-ah

Now I'm wondering am I right or wrong on both?

Lisha wrote: »
    I agree with how you pronounce Alisha.

But IMHO Alicia is pronounced Ah-liss-ee-ah

Now I'm wondering am I right or wrong on both?

Correct on my name.
    Ive heard Alicia be pronounced the same way as mine, as Al-eece-e-ah and Alissa, AND as you said above. I've also gotten the same once or twice.

Someone once told me I should just change it to Aleesha, since that looks phonetically sound. But you can be sure someone would still get it wrong!

Correct on my name.
    Ive heard Alicia be pronounced the same way as mine, as Al-eece-e-ah and Alissa, AND as you said above. I've also gotten the same once or twice.

Someone once told me I should just change it to Aleesha, since that looks phonetically sound. But you can be sure someone would still get it wrong!

My name is E.ilish (I put dot in my name to try and preserve anonymity:) ). So few get it right. Am regularly called ailish. But someone where I work with a slightly posh Limerick accent calls me Eye-lash, much to my horror. Now of course I'm called Eye-lash by all there :(

I really like Alisha, I'm slightly jealous of you :)

My name is E.ilish (I put dot in my name to try and preserve anonymity:) ). So few get it right. Am regularly called ailish. But someone where I work with a slightly posh Limerick accent calls me Eye-lash, much to my horror. Now of course I'm called Eye-lash by all there :(

I really like Alisha, I'm slightly jealous of you :)

I get Ali a lot, and really hate it! I've had not one, but two exs call me Eilish by mistake :o
    But thank you, sometimes I wish it were Mary, but I think I'm passed the stage in my life where the mispronunciation gets to me :pac:

My name is E.ilish (I put dot in my name to try and preserve anonymity:) ). So few get it right. Am regularly called ailish.

Right I'd have pronounced your name same as Ailish. I'm guessing it should be more like Eye-lish?

How many more names have I been pronouncing wrong all these years? :eek:

Right I'd have pronounced your name same as Ailish. I'm guessing it should be more like Eye-lish?

I usually pronounce Eilish Aylish :P

Personally I prefer Eyeleesh but is seems to totally depend on the regional dialect.
    I suppose there is no real right/wrong. I did try and give my children easy names who s spelling and pronunciation are obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

danrua01 wrote: »
    It's gonna be Layla and Alessandro for me!

Fancy! They sound nice together too. I think boys names are soooo hard. Struggling to get a shortlist for our baby due next week. Don't know what we're having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

We have Jake picked out if we have a boy.

Girls name we have struggled on recently I've really been lI king Erin and Jade.

The better half was liking Erin buy her mother thinks it's to much of a boys name and Jade reminds her of the one that used to be in big brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Erin is in no way a boys name!! Quite pretty for a girl I think. Wouldn't be a fan of Jade to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

We have Jake picked out if we have a boy.

Girls name we have struggled on recently I've really been lI king Erin and Jade.

The better half was liking Erin buy her mother thinks it's to much of a boys name and Jade reminds her of the one that used to be in big brother.

To be fair its none of anyones business what you call the child.I wouldnt even entertain names just tell tehm when teh baby is here.Nobody will say anything other than isnt that a lovely name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I'm only 9 weeks pregnant but already working on my names.
    Girls are much easier than boys.

Girls:
    Violet
    Edith
    Mabel
    Olive
    Clementine

Boys:
    Eli
    Jude
    Sam
    Flynn

We already have a Zoe so want to pick something that goes with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Violet and Jude are my favourites from those lists. :) I think Violet is gorgeous!

Violet and Jude are my favourites from those lists. :) I think Violet is gorgeous!

Think they are my favourites too. Hubby leaning towards Eli and edith(edie) he's mad to shorten names!

Violet and Mabel are lovely. Clementine is nice too. Edith is really growing on me.
    I know an Olive and it's a good name.

Jude and Flynn are lovely boys names.

Violet and Mabel are lovely. Clementine is nice too. Edith is really growing on me.
    I know an Olive and it's a good name.

Jude and Flynn are lovely boys names.

I think Clementine is a lovely name for a grown up woman but maybe a bit long for a baby.. I'm actually loving old fashioned girls names

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Not a fan of your girls names sorry! Like Olivia though. My boy is called eli. Irish people don't really know it yet so you get a lot. Of ' how do you spell that?' And pronouncing it Ellie.

Think they'd all go well with Zoe though!

• Advertisement

javagal wrote: »
    I think Clementine is a lovely name for a grown up woman but maybe a bit long for a baby.. I'm actually loving old fashioned girls names

I'm actually gone slightly weak thinking about Edith/Edie! And I'm not having any more children :) and I mean it I'm not

Advertisement