Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The better half just suggested the name Nai for a girl, I'm not even sure how to pronounce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Does he want to pronounce it like Nye? My grandfather's name was Aneurin and everyone called him Nye for short :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

The better half was liking Erin buy her mother thinks it's to much of a boys name and Jade reminds her of the one that used to be in big brother.

Maybe she was thinking of the American pronunciation of Aaron.

I love "R" boy names:

Russell
    Rory
    Reuben
    Ross
    Rufus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Roselm wrote: »
    I love "R" boy names:

Russell
    Rory
    Reuben
    Ross
    Rufus

I like all of them bar Rufus, just reminds me way too much of a dog :o
    R names were out for me in any case as the surname has a very strong R sound at the start and they just sounded weird.

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    Does he want to pronounce it like Nye? My grandfather's name was Aneurin and everyone called him Nye for short :)

I'm a he ;) I know this is generally a woman's domain but I figured in the name thread I'd be welcome :o

I think it's more like Nya in pronunciation. I'm not completely off it altogether but do think it's very similar sound wise to our daughters name Ayla.

Maybe she was thinking of the American pronunciation of Aaron.

That's what I thought as well or think. For me if it's a girl I'm kinda favoriting Erin at the moment soon as I read ithe, it kinda clicked for me. Nai I'll have to think on. I also loved Ophelia after seeing the film Pans Labyrinth but literally everyone bar me shot that one down :pac:

We're both sethe on Jake for a boy as we had that picked last time if it was going to be a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

javagal wrote: »
    I'm only 9 weeks pregnant but already working on my names.
    Girls are much easier than boys.

Girls:
    Violet
    Edith
    Mabel
    Olive
    Clementine

Boys:
    Eli
    Jude
    Sam
    Flynn

We already have a Zoe so want to pick something that goes with it

I absolutely LOVE the name Jude and I wish I could name a boy that but I have a stepson whose name sounds really similar to it. I love your taste in names!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I dont like Violet its much to close to teh word violent for my liking.Mabel is a granny name and Clementine is really lovely.Clemmie for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

javagal wrote: »
    I'm only 9 weeks pregnant but already working on my names.
    Girls are much easier than boys.

Girls:
    Violet
    Edith
    Mabel
    Olive
    Clementine

Boys:
    Eli
    Jude
    Sam
    Flynn

We already have a Zoe so want to pick something that goes with it

Love Jude. Really great name. Prefer Olivia to olive. Mabel is lovely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I also love Olivia, but not keen at all on Olive. Not sure why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Wouldn't be mad on Oliveor Mabel myself, Olivia is lovely though.

We'll be struggling if it's a girl!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I like Olivia too,not a fan of the others.

I think it's more like Nya in pronunciation. I'm not completely off it altogether but do think it's very similar sound wise to our daughters name Ayla.

Nai I'll have to think on.

Is your partner spelling it Nia then rather than Nai? To get the pronunciation I mean. Sorry if I'm overstepping the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Our new baby girl is due in about 5 weeks. We haven't a clue for a name. On our first daughter we had the name picked from about 10 weeks but this time we are really stumped.
    Mrs googledeyes keeps running names by our daughter but gets shot down every time...

It's so bloody hard to pick a name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I could name 10 girls but my boy went with out a name for nearly 2 weeks . We could not agree at all but in the end I let my husband name him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Is your partner spelling it Nia then rather than Nai? To get the pronunciation I mean. Sorry if I'm overstepping the mark

Nia is a welsh name pronounced 'nee ah'.

Niadh is also a 1st name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Moonbeam wrote: »

It's a beautiful name.

We only have one name in mind for a girl - méabh. Nothing for a boy (again :()

I love Méabh,Maedhbh is my 2nd girls middle name.

I would say Niadh is definitely a boys name.

I love Cillian,Ruairí,Cormac,Naoise,Dáire, and I can't think of anymore for a boy.

I love Cillian,Ruairí,Cormac,Naoise,Dáire, and I can't think of anymore for a boy.

You might like Ruadhán?

• Advertisement

Also pronounced 'nee ah'? I looked for an Irish version of the name, but eventually settled on the Welsh. For a girl though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Husband is mad keen on Conleth!
    Really struggling with boys names

You might like Ruadhán?
    It wouldn't be on my list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I love Méabh,Maedhbh is my 2nd girls middle name.

I would say Niadh is definitely a boys name.

Would only know girls called Naoise? I'd also always have had Daire as a girl and Darragh as a boy?
    All lovely names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Lately I've heard of a few female Naoises, but I'd have considered it a boy's name too.

Your grand :). No I've double checked myself it's Nai pronounced Nya. I'm not feeling it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Naoise can be both a boy's and girl's name. Nia means niece. Have never heard it as a name but suppose with Fiadh and Mia it sounds similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Naoise historically is a boy's name.
    Daire or Darragh are the boy version, Dara is the girl's.
    Have never seen Méabh, but would always spell it Meadbh or Maeve.

Naoise can be both a boy's and girl's name. Nia means niece. Have never heard it as a name but suppose with Fiadh and Mia it sounds similar.

Nia, the noun, means nephew in Irish. In Welsh, it is a girl's name.

Naoise and Daire are both traditionally boys' names. In recent years, they have come to be used as girls' names. The spelling makes no difference as to whether they are male or female, though people seem to have invented arbitrary rules about this.

I love the name Naoise, for a girl.

• Advertisement

Your grand :). No I've double checked myself it's Nai pronounced Nya. I'm not feeling it myself.

What is its origin? It makes no sense to pronounce Nai as nya, unless it's a rule in another language that I'm not aware of.

It's like calling a child John and pronouncing it Joan.

Advertisement