Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Would only know girls called Naoise? I'd also always have had Daire as a girl and Darragh as a boy?
    All lovely names.

Traditionally it is a boys name but I have heard of female Naoises too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Traditionally it is a boys name but I have heard of female Naoises too.

Other then the old story ive never came across a male Naoise but a fair few girls especially in the last ten years. I would have put the name into the bracket of names that started as boys but are now mostly girls like lesley, kim, ashley, hilary etc.
    That said theres probably parts of the country where a the opposite is true and a female Naoise is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Some Nice Girls and Boys names for those of you expecting. If you're wondering about pronunciation, most of the Irish names on this list are pronounced here by native speakers: forvo.com/languages/ga/

Niamh, Aoife, Sinéad, Aisling, Emma, Deirdre, Áine, Ciara, Siobhán, Eimear, Máire, Caoimhe, Róisín, Bríd, Sarah, Sorcha, Orla, Gráinne, Clár, Lisa, Fiona, Amy, Eithne, Maria, Caitríona, Karen, Edel, Gillian, Eibhlín, Caitlín, Elaine, Clíona, Kate, Neasa, Kelly, Brídín, Dearbhla, Úna, Saoirse, Lorraine, Michelle, Dee, Síofra, Maire, Mairéad, Emer, Laoise, Méabh, Danielle, Mairead, Cáit, Oonagh, Louise, Cíara, Marian, Íde, Laura, Jess, Doireann, Rebecca, Rachel, Catríona, Martina, Eileen, Clíodhna, Cliona, Cailín, Níamh, Tara, Aifric, Ellen, Orlaith, Muireann, Eilís, Caroline, Brenda, Dearbhaile, Jessie, Andrea, Katie, Hazel, Carol, Christine, Christina, Cliodhna, Meadhbh, Mary, Cristín, Jenny, Ailín, Charlotte, Pádraigín, Éadaoin, Máirín, Tríona, Shona, Nóirín, Sharon, Dawn, Áine Máire, Shóna, Nóra, Ailbhe, Lorna, Seána, Leah, Gemma, Shauna, Bláithín, Deborah, Aoibheann, Clodagh, Nuala, Olivia, Aine, Claire, Roisin, Helena, Becky

Seán, Ciarán, Mícheál, Tomás, Cathal, Pól, Micheál, Pádraig, Colm, Liam, Cian, Gearóid, Diarmuid, Cormac, Máirtín, Séamus, Brian, Eoin, Niall, Caoimhín, Oisín, Stiofán, Muiris, Daithí, Darren, Barra, Aodán, Damien, Tadhg, Éamonn, Seosamh, Peadar, Éanna, Ruairí, Eoghan, Dónall, Aindriú, Seamus, Conall, Fiachra, Rónán, Sean, Dáithí, Críostóir, Diarmaid, Dónal, Neil, Darragh, Eóin, Déaglán, Andrew, Mark, Conchúr, Aodh, James, Donnchadh, Ciaran, Criostóir, Lorcán, Marcas, Gearoid, Ian, Cionnaith, John, Stíofán, Tim, Pádraic, Dylan, Deaglán, Ryan, Malachy, Ruaidhrí, Jonathan, Murt, Kevin, Philip, Domhnall, Derek, Aodhán, Séan, Fergal, Pilib, Fionn, Callum, Alan, Dan, Feargal, Breandan, Proinsias, Breandán, Daniel, Odhrán, Paul, Conchúir, Maitiú, Naoise, Dara, Marcus, Tommie, Stephen, Caomhán, Maitiu, Réamonn, Seánie, Gavin, Aonghus, Deasún

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Wouldn't be a fan of most of those to be honest. I find names like Sharon and Eileen reminiscent of my mothers generation (not that that's a bad thing ;) ), and are a little bit dated on a modern baby. and ones like Paidrigín etc. too old fashioned for this day and age.

A few of the boys ones are nice though. I really like Oisín.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My own name made it into that list and I haven't heard anyone christened with it since 1980!! Some lovely names on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

yellow hen wrote: »
    My own name made it into that list and I haven't heard anyone christened with it since 1980!! Some lovely names on it though.

Mine too, I'm Elaine! :D I know loads of Elaines in their 30s but have never heard anyone younger called it. It's very 1970s/1980s...like Sharon! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I actually thought of the name Sharon yesterday and how in almost 15 years teaching I haven't met one. I think The Snapper ruined it for Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

Mine too, Elaine! :D I know loads of Elaines in their 30s but have never heard anyone younger called it. It's very 1970s/1980s...like Sharon! :-)

I am Elaine and i am 24 so a bit younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Other then the old story ive never came across a male Naoise but a fair few girls especially in the last ten years. I would have put the name into the bracket of names that started as boys but are now mostly girls like lesley, kim, ashley, hilary etc.
    That said theres probably parts of the country where a the opposite is true and a female Naoise is strange.

Naoise Ó Muirí was the Lord Mayor of Dublin, but I think you're probably right about it changing. Female Naoises tend to be under 30 if throwing a name into facebook is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Naoise Ó Muirí was the Lord Mayor of Dublin, but I think you're probably right about it changing. Female Naoises tend to be under 30 if throwing a name into facebook is anything to go by.

Naoise was the love interest in the old story, Deirdre of the Sorrows, wasn't he?

It's both at the moment, I *think* because there is an overlap with some other languages, where it's a girls name.

That earlier list with Mabel, Edith and Clementine, love them. Olive just made me think of Olive Oil from Popeye though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

My daughter is called Íde (ee-deh), which is Irish but reasonably rare. She gets complemented a lot on her name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Anyone naming a child should had a read of the Freakonomic's chapter on children's names. The gist: a kid’s name can tell us something about his parents — their race, social standing, even their politics.

Basically children with "white trash" names tend to do worse in school, careers etc. A lot of it compares black to white kids in the states but interesting to consider.

Here's a link to the podcast.

http://freakonomics.com/2013/04/08/how-much-does-your-name-matter-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

Personally I love the old Irish names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

BarraOG wrote: »
    My daughter is called Íde (ee-deh), which is Irish but reasonably rare. She gets complemented a lot on her name. :)

I think Íde is absolutely gorgeous, I don't like the English version (Ita) though! I know a couple of Ita's who ended up using Íde instead, it's got a much nicer softer sound to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Up in the graveyard today and saw some crackers

Constance
    Mabel
    Maude
    Adelaide
    Ambrose (boy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Up in the graveyard today and saw some crackers

Constance
    Mabel
    Maude
    Adelaide
    Ambrose (boy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I kinda like maude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Maude and Mabel are lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

What are people's thoughts on baby Ellen and mammy Helen? Confusing in years to come when husband calls one of us and we both come running/ both ignore him?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

heldel00 wrote:
    What are people's thoughts on baby Ellen and mammy Helen? Confusing in years to come when husband calls one of us and we both come running/ both ignore him?!

My mam and my sister both have the same name. Hasn't caused any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

yellow hen wrote: »
    I kinda like maude!

I have a friend called Maud. I think it's a lovely name

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

heldel00 wrote: »

I think they will go fine together:)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

I'm here looking for inspiration! What are people's thoughts on Sonny?

teggers5 wrote: »
    I'm here looking for inspiration! What are people's thoughts on Sonny?

Honestly I hate it.

Both because it's unoriginal - like Jordan calling her child Junior.

And because he'll constantly have the older generations singing "Sonny don't go away ..." at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Thoughts on Robyn? Heard it for the first time in ages recently and liked it. She was named after her dad (Robert) which I thought was sweet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Honestly I hate it.

Both because it's unoriginal - like Jordan calling her child Junior.

And because he'll constantly have the older generations singing "Sonny don't go away ..." at him.

Hadn't thought of that song. I hate it..
    Still love the name though!

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Thoughts on Robyn? Heard it for the first time in ages recently and liked it. She was named after her dad (Robert) which I thought was sweet too.
    I really like it and it's not very common without being out of left field. I recently knew a Robin in school and she was a lovely girl so that may cloud my judgement a bit!

teggers5 wrote: »
    Hadn't thought of that song. I hate it..
    Still love the name though!

A friend of mine recently called her son Sullivan, Sully for short. Might be an alternative. :) I guess it depends on how it goes with the surname!

Sully just makes me think of the guy from Monsters Inc!

pooch90 wrote: »
    Sully just makes me think of the guy from Monsters Inc!

I'm not a big fan of it myself, but it's better than Sonny! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

WhiteRoses wrote:

Love Robyn. Was on my list for when I had my little girl. If I ever have another girl id probably go with that

Advertisement