Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Sully definitely better than Sonny.
    When we were young and my dad was giving out to the boys he would call them Sonny Jim (God knows why!!) but it would always make me think of being in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Robyn is beautiful, love that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

Also love the name Robyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Also absolutely adore Robyn - unfortunately it sounds awful with our surname so I had to leave it out for both girls.

Had Lucy Eleanor picked for this one, but a friend of the family just called her new wee girl Lucy so I had to re-think. OH likes Ellen, and so far it's the only one we can agree on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Also absolutely adore Robyn - unfortunately it sounds awful with our surname so I had to leave it out for both girls.

Had Lucy Eleanor picked for this one, but a friend of the family just called her new wee girl Lucy so I had to re-think. OH likes Ellen, and so far it's the only one we can agree on :pac:

Love Lucy, Ellen, and Eleanor! Have a little neighbor called Eleanor who gets called Nora for short, very cute :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Love Lucy, Ellen, and Eleanor! Have a little neighbor called Eleanor who gets called Nora for short, very cute :)

I love Eleanor too, and would have loved it but my best friend's daughter is Eleanor :p OH said Ellen Gracie perhaps, but I find the middle names are easy enough to settle on once you set the first name in stone!
    I hope my next is a boy, I'm really running out of girl names :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I didn't discuss baby names with any friends bar one.
    Now she told me that if she had a little boy she would love to call him after her father but it's also the name of her crazy uncle in law so that's what was putting her off a bit. (Especially as the baby would have same surname as the uncle and everyone would just assume it was after him.)

My problem now is that it is the only boy's name my OH has suggested. He really loves it and so do I. Should I just put it out of my head? It is her dad's name after all.

I'm due before her btw and neither of us know what we're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

heldel00 wrote: »
    Now she told me that if she had a little boy she would love to call him after her father but it's also the name of her crazy uncle in law so that's what was putting her off a bit. (Especially as the baby would have same surname as the uncle and everyone would just assume it was after him.)

My problem now is that it is the only boy's name my OH has suggested. He really loves it and so do I. Should I just put it out of my head? It is her dad's name after all.

Eeek awkward. I think the right thing to do would be to consider it off-limits and find a new name. There's so many beautiful boys names out there, it's a small sacrifice to make to keep a friendship! (unless of course you ask her and she okays it)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

If ye both love the name then discuss it with your friend. I'm sure she will understand your love for the name seeing as she has a similiar love for the name. It shouldn't be a problem. Found myself in a similiar position and now the two boys are the best of friends sharing the same name.

Thanks for the replies. She not due for a few months. It would kill me if I just stayed clear of the name because of a 5 min flippant conversation and she ended up having a girl!
    They won't be in the same school, play football for same team or anything like that so maybe I should just have a quick discussion with her about it.

• Advertisement

Seeing as you've had the conversation, I'd at least talk to her about it first and see how she feels about it.

I guess it also depends on how common a name it is - it sounds like it's probably a fairly traditional name? In which case I don't see a problem, maybe if it's something more obscure though she might be a bit more put out by you using it, if she was looking for something unique.

I definitely wouldn't write it off just yet anyways, sure in a couple of months she might have totally gone off it!

Thanks for the replies. She not due for a few months. It would kill me if I just stayed clear of the name because of a 5 min flippant conversation and she ended up having a girl!
    They won't be in the same school, play football for same team or anything like that so maybe I should just have a quick discussion with her about it.

Her Dad's not deceased or terminally ill or anything is he? Just that people can be extra sensitive when grief is involved.

Lucuma wrote: »
    Her Dad's not deceased or terminally ill or anything is he? Just that people can be extra sensitive when grief is involved.

No no alive and well. If it was a situation like that I wouldn't even consider it.

No no alive and well. If it was a situation like that I wouldn't even consider it.

You might get away with it so if you run it by her casually and test the waters...probably better to do it sooner rather than later so you can either rule the name in or out!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 colombes

Hello, any opinion on the name Mathias?
    I live in Ireland since a while now and plan to continue😁
    Just wanted to check if it sounds as nice as in my native language.
    Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

colombes wrote: »
    I live in Ireland since a while now and plan to continueðŸ˜
    Thanks a mill.

I think you might get a lot of mispronunciations!
    Is it math-ee-ass or math-eye-ass?

I would have said the latter ...

I think it's a nice name, will probably be shortened to Matt as he's growing up, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DEAF LEOPARD

colombes wrote: »
    I live in Ireland since a while now and plan to continue😁
    Thanks a mill.
    It's a good strong name.As for shortening it, up to you and the child as he gets older.

Robyn is lovely for a daughter, I also like the name Carolyn . It's beautiful and so feminine.

Happy to see that nobody told me it is an ugly,odd name.
    I was told it would be pronounced math-eye-ass which to be honest sound less nice than pronounced by French speakers matte-yass. - to my opinion.

Anyhow, as said it will be matt at the end.
    Always amazed me how the Irish definitively try to shorten any name.
    I got used to it and like it now actually😃

Also funny to see name can be for boys or girls depending on countries.
    Wanted Alexis but was told it is girl name in Ireland and my husband (Irish) wanted Laurence which is definitively a girl name in France.
    Same for Robyn a boy name in France but spelt Robin.

Anyhow most important is to pick a name not too odd or impossible to pronounce in both countries.
    My best friend in high school in France was called Fanny which it is not an odd name for us.
    She had an hard time first time we went to England for school trip. 😬
    Would not recommend to call a boy Connor if plan to send him to school in France, would have a hard time. So it all depend!

Thanks for feedback.

What does Connor mean in French, I'm curious!

It's one of my favourite names for a boy (although I think I prefer the spelling Conor.)

• Advertisement

I think once it works well with the surname then Mathias would be really nice, is your husbands surname a very much Irish one? I would instinctively pronounced it Math-eye-iss. Ireland is becoming so much more diverse that I wouldn't worry too much.
    Robin can be a girl or boy name so I wouldn't rule it out for a boy.
    Alexis definitely more common for girls here than boys.

OH and myself were chatting today, I'm starting to really like Zoe, Kate and Ruth for girls
    Boys are stumping us a bit and we both think we are having a boy so we need a shortlist-we have about 10 on the list but none we love :(

I have the same problem, find difficult to find when I have plentyof girls names...
    Absolutely love Zoe name. Cute for a girl and feminin for women.

I am definitively having a boy.
    My first boy is called Tristan we have no regret still love it after several years.

Well I also really lime the name Connor it is strong name and still has charm.
    However, I cannot use it, really close to word Connard (meaning somethibg close to Bastard) when pronounced in French and kids can be very hard with each others. Some adults can be as well.

Could you go with a variation like Conall instead?

Maybe but not really found of that one.

What about Con?
    Plain and simple. Good solid name. You don't mess with anyone called Con!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Loving all the people liking the name Ellen atm, my little girl is Ellen :)

Robyn is a nice name.

Mathias is also nice - math - eye - ass I'd probably pronounce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

This baby is coming out in 10 days by c-section and I have no idea what we will call it if it is a boy. We don't know the sex so we need to have two names on standby. Girls names are always easier for us to find and we already have one in mind.

For a boy I havn't a clue. Joshua was our fav boys name and we called our son that two years ago, so now we are stuck for a new boys name.

Living in Denmark, I like the name Mikkel for a boy - it would also be close to my father's name 'Michael' (he passed in Jan) - but a Danish family member has recently called their child Mikkel and I don't want to copy her.

So hoping for some divine inspiration when the time comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Loving all the love for zoe too. It's my girls name, she's 3 and the most tenacious, clever little weirdo and her name suits her to the ground!

I'm finding boys names much harder than girls too, we'll find out what we're having soon.
    Hubby likes Eli for a boy, i like Jude, also dabbling around with Walt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

javagal wrote: »
    Loving all the love for zoe too. It's my girls name, she's 3 and the most tenacious, clever little weirdo and her name suits her to the ground!

I'm finding boys names much harder than girls too, we'll find out what we're having soon.
    Hubby likes Eli for a boy, i like Jude, also dabbling around with Walt

Oh yes Eli is nice, as is Elias. They just wouldn't suit us because it would be too close to our little girls name (Elise).

Zoe is also one we have contemplated for a girl.

• Advertisement

If you live in Denmark I really like Soren but might be old fashion?
    I also like Allan and Torben but the last might be too scandinavian!

For the earlier advice, thanks but OMG the name Con, I never heard but that one is definitively a big no no (I wont even translate) in case we go back to live in France...

So far Mathias stays on the list closely followed by Samuel.
    My cousin just had a little Elliot - not sure about it.

Advertisement