Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

javagal wrote: »
    Loving all the love for zoe too. It's my girls name, she's 3 and the most tenacious, clever little weirdo and her name suits her to the ground!

I'm finding boys names much harder than girls too, we'll find out what we're having soon.
    Hubby likes Eli for a boy, i like Jude, also dabbling around with Walt

We are both a bit weird so seems like Zoe would be a good fit!! Out of interest,do you put the ë in ie Zoë or just Zoe?
    Could Walt be changed into Wally? I'd be slightly worried about that. We had a dear family friend called Walter who was known as Wattie. Beautiful,gentle soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

pooch90 wrote: »
    We are both a bit weird so seems like Zoe would be a good fit!! Out of interest,do you put the ë in ie Zoë or just Zoe?
    Could Walt be changed into Wally? I'd be slightly worried about that. We had a dear family friend called Walter who was known as Wattie. Beautiful,gentle soul.

No, just zoe.. we knew people would leave out the dots so just made it easier!

Walt could very well be shortened into wally, which I am not mad about. Definitely something teenagers do.
    Also like Gabe but for the same reason when he's a teenager!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Living in Denmark, I like the name Mikkel for a boy - it would also be close to my father's name 'Michael' (he passed in Jan) - but a Danish family member has recently called their child Mikkel and I don't want to copy her.

So hoping for some divine inspiration when the time comes!

Probably a long shot, but I've always liked Mikah?

We've had Elliot picked for a boy since the day before my 20 week scan with my daughter over a year ago! We said we'd keep it if we ever had a boy, but OH has decided on Ellen for this little girl after the mishap with our Lucy choice. Can't fathom having an Ellen and an Elliot so we will have to go for something else. OH loves Archie, George and Brady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Probably a long shot, but I've always liked Mikah?

We've had Elliot picked for a boy since the day before my 20 week scan with my daughter over a year ago! We said we'd keep it if we ever had a boy, but OH has decided on Ellen for this little girl after the mishap with our Lucy choice. Can't fathom having an Ellen and an Elliot so we will have to go for something else. OH loves Archie, George and Brady.

Oh I love Ellen. Think it's nicer than Lucy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

What do/did folks do about babies surname?

Mrs Vagga did not take my name, and that is zero drama [indeed, I don't think we ever even discussed it at the time]. But now, with Baby joining us in a few weeks time. We have names we like for either a boy or girl, but what surname we use is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Mrs Vagga did not take my name, and that is zero drama [indeed, I don't think we ever even discussed it at the time]. But now, with Baby joining us in a few weeks time. We have names we like for either a boy or girl, but what surname we use is interesting.

I never took my husbands surname either. So we just gave the kids both of our surnames :). They can use or drop whichever one they want to (if they want to) when they are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I didnt take my husbands surname but if we have kids, they will have his only. Its completely up to ye what ye do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Our kid took hubby's surname (I didn't)
    But I gave her my surname as a middle name.
    So my middle name is Mary, but my kid's middle name is my surname. If you get me.

It's an american traidtion (like John Fitzgerald Kennedy)

You can of course give your child your wife's surname. This is not very common but it is done! I've only met people on forums that have done it though, never met a person in the flesh that did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I won't change my name when we marry. I am not hugely bothered about any future baby's surnames. I recently thought we could give any female children my surname and any male children his. My partner thought that was a stupid idea so we will probably just give them his. It might give me more leverage with their first names!

My girl has OH's surname and new baby girl will as well. Granted, I am taking his surname when we get hitched next year.
    Both of us come from separated families, and my OH was adopted by his step-dad so ended up with a double-barreled surname that he had changed as it caused so much trouble in school growing up. We both agreed that it's only a name, so there is no real reason why we can't all share the same one.

• Advertisement

My girl has OH's surname and new baby girl will as well. Granted, I am taking his surname when we get hitched next year.
    Both of us come from separated families, and my OH was adopted by his step-dad so ended up with a double-barreled surname that he had changed as it caused so much trouble in school growing up. We both agreed that it's only a name, so there is no real reason why we can't all share the same one.

What kind of trouble did it cause in school?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

We're not getting married till 2017 and I won't be changing my name but we had a baby in May and we gave her her Dads name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

We weren't married, and never had any plans to get married, and even if we had I'd have kept my own surname. So my son has the same surname as me. It was never really an issue for his father. I've a far nicer surname anyways and it was more important to me to pass it on to my son, than it was for his dad to pass his on, if that makes sense.

Anyways we've since split up, and I'm very glad he has my surname as it means he'll share the same surname with myself and with any future siblings he might have on my side.

Probably a bit depressing talking about what happens if the parents split up in a pregnancy thread, but it happens unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Your decision on names - considering background on both sides - sounds like
    the triumph of hope over experience :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My son has his fathers surname, we were not married at the time of the birth. Getting married next year and I will probably change my surname to his but at the time it was important for me that my son shared his dads surname, strange I know, but it was like some sort of acceptance thing seeing as we were not married and in a very short relationship at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

It can cause problems at school because as time goes on parents (or the child) sometimes want to revert to a single surname and it's not just that easy as the child is registered under the original double name.
    It has happened that a parent has asked me to stop calling their child "Patrick Paddy-Pad" and just call them Patrick Pad. I can do it in a classroom setting but technically shouldn't as it is a new name and legally Patrick Pad is not known.

(We actually had a child who was on her third surname by the time she got to 5th class but in fairness her mam did it correctly via a solicitor when we told her that we just couldn't change her name on the leabhar rolla)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

My 12year old son has his dad's surname. We've since split up and I'm sorry I didn't put my surname on the birth certificate also. At least then he could use it if he wanted to.

heldel00 wrote: »
    It can cause problems at school because as time goes on parents (or the child) sometimes want to revert to a single surname and it's not just that easy as the child is registered under the original double name.
    It has happened that a parent has asked me to stop calling their child "Patrick Paddy-Pad" and just call them Patrick Pad. I can do it in a classroom setting but technically shouldn't as it is a new name and legally Patrick Pad is not known.

(We actually had a child who was on her third surname by the time she got to 5th class but in fairness her mam did it correctly via a solicitor when we told her that we just couldn't change her name on the leabhar rolla)

But that only causes problems of someone want to change it. Not any general basic problems with double barrelled names as such. I always thought name in Ireland was usually done by common usage anyway? Why would one need to get it changed legally? I don't really see it causing any problems for us as we won't be changing the children's names. They will have the choice to however when they become adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Yes the problem only arises when someone wants to change from double to single surname.
    I am simply stating that in a small local school such as ours we will call the child by whatever parent and child are comfortable with because we know them and don't have the extent of records that a large school would have.
    The problem rears it's head again when a child is being transferred to second level. The single surname is not legally known and child must be registered with their official name. Secondary schools may not be accommodating.

heldel00 wrote: »
    Yes the problem only arises when someone wants to change from double to single surname.
    I am simply stating that in a small local school such as ours we will call the child by whatever parent and child are comfortable with because we know them and don't have the extent of records that a large school would have.
    The problem rears it's head again when a child is being transferred to second level. The single surname is not legally known and child must be registered with their official name. Secondary schools may not be accommodating.

Ah yea I see what you mean. I reckon these days tho that can happen when you have a double or single surname. As diamond doll pointed out... I'm sure this will be a problem also for many parents who split up and want their children's surname changed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

All the kids have dad's surname, we were not married before kids. I've since taken his surname also. It was never discussed... it was just assumed by us both that they'd take his name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

colombes wrote: »
    Hello, any opinion on the name Mathias?
    I live in Ireland since a while now and plan to continue��
    Just wanted to check if it sounds as nice as in my native language.
    Thanks a mill.

I have heard a few kids called Mathias,I am not sure what country it orginates from.
    I would pronounce it (probably wrongly) as Math i is

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use what ever name suits me at the time.
    I grew up in a house with 3 different surnames so I longed to actually share a name with my family.
    The kids names are all registered in Irish,he tends to use the english surname on a daily basis and then for me it depends on what I am doing.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Ah yea I see what you mean. I reckon these days tho that can happen when you have a double or single surname. As diamond doll pointed out... I'm sure this will be a problem also for many parents who split up and want their children's surname changed...

My partner had a ferocious time of it in school as his mother and step-dad had one surname, and he had two. He'd often be referred to as (correctly) Tom X-Y, sometimes Tom X and others Tom Y. When letters were sent home, it would sometimes be to Mr and Mrs X-Y (not correct), Mr and Mrs X (correct) or Mr and Mrs Y (not correct and extremely annoying for Mr X). You can imagine the horror at PT meetings when Mr X was referred to as Mr Y or Mr X-Y and more often than not my OH was forced to explain, to his embarrassment, why he had two names but that didn't extend to the rest of his family. The trouble extended into some of his places of employment and that is when he changed it to the original surname that he was given at birth.

My partner had a ferocious time of it in school as his mother and step-dad had one surname, and he had two. He'd often be referred to as (correctly) Tom X-Y, sometimes Tom X and others Tom Y. When letters were sent home, it would sometimes be to Mr and Mrs X-Y (not correct), Mr and Mrs X (correct) or Mr and Mrs Y (not correct and extremely annoying for Mr X). You can imagine the horror at PT meetings when Mr X was referred to as Mr Y or Mr X-Y and more often than not my OH was forced to explain, to his embarrassment, why he had two names but that didn't extend to the rest of his family. The trouble extended into some of his places of employment and that is when he changed it to the original surname that he was given at birth.

Ok that is confusing!!! Lol. No step parents here tho so I reakon (and hope) that sorta confusion won't affect us :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm early to the thinking of names part of my pregnancy (only 5 weeks) but its one of the more fun parts so why not.
    Over the last few days I've fallen totally in love with the name Sadie. Love it for both a little girl and an adult woman.
    I really like Mathilda too. Husband doesn't really like that one.
    Lilly is another - we liked it last time out too.
    The funny thing is when I was thinking of names the last time out I was definite for Hazel but ended up calling her Amy. It was a name my husband loved and at the time it just felt right.

For a boy last time and this I'm finding it hard to come up with something.
    Danny was the closest we came to agreeing on anything before.
    I loved Sebastian but my husband hates it with a passion red and rare.

I like Elliot, Sam and Simon too.

I didn't take my husband's name when we got married and don't really plan on doing so. We gave our daughter his surname but sometimes I wish she had mine..... its silly really.

I'm early to the thinking of names part of my pregnancy (only 5 weeks) but its one of the more fun parts so why not.
    Over the last few days I've fallen totally in love with the name Sadie. Love it for both a little girl and an adult woman.
    I really like Mathilda too. Husband doesn't really like that one.
    Lilly is another - we liked it last time out too.
    The funny thing is when I was thinking of names the last time out I was definite for Hazel but ended up calling her Amy. It was a name my husband loved and at the time it just felt right.

For a boy last time and this I'm finding it hard to come up with something.
    Danny was the closest we came to agreeing on anything before.
    I loved Sebastian but my husband hates it with a passion red and rare.

I like Elliot, Sam and Simon too.

I didn't take my husband's name when we got married and don't really plan on doing so. We gave our daughter his surname but sometimes I wish she had mine..... its silly really.

Congratulations Penny. Delighted for you. And you've great taste in names! ;). Very similar taste to ourselves. We have a lilly. And if she were going to be a bit she would've been a Sebastian :). I asked my husband about Matilida (without the h) only the evening before last! He didn't like it tho. Love Daniel. Beginning to think William is quite nice aswell. I'm not even preggers! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Congratulations Penny. Delighted for you. And you've great taste in names! ;). Very similar taste to ourselves. We have a lilly. And if she were going to be a bit she would've been a Sebastian :). I asked my husband about Matilida (without the h) only the evening before last! He didn't like it tho. Love Daniel. Beginning to think William is quite nice aswell. I'm not even preggers! Lol.

I LOVE William but only if its either William or Will.

The first person who said "Willy" would get a swift kick to the shin.

If I had to drop the "h" to get Matilda I'd do it:)

I LOVE William but only if its either William or Will.

The first person who said "Willy" would get a swift kick to the shin.

Lol yes exactly. My nearly 3 year old calls his bits his Willy... Couldn't have him or anyone else calling a potential brother the same thing! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I've a William ... he hasn't been called Willy ... yet! :o He's not quite two yet. I knew there might be a chance of that, but it's such a lovely name I think, so I went with it anyways.

I do have an uncle Willie, who I adore, so I wouldn't really mind my son being called that as long as it wasn't in a mean way!

I thought it would be shortened to Will very quickly, but so far he's still William! Or sometimes my Silly Billy! Or his aunts calls him Wills, or Wilfred, or Wilberto, or different variations!

Advertisement