Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I think we have our names sorted. They're basically the ones we didn't use the last time.
    Boy's name has Always been and will Always be Tadhg (we both agree) but don't think we're ever going to have a boy so it's a moot point really.

Runner up names last time were: Grainne (I love but my husband says no), Muireann, Beibhinn (bay-veen), Una, Maeve

(I can't do fadas coz on a foreign keyboard by the way)

So we'll use one of them for this babby unless another irish name takes my fancy.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Lucuma wrote: »
    I think we have our names sorted. They're basically the ones we didn't use the last time.
    Boy's name has Always been and will Always be Tadhg (we both agree) but don't think we're ever going to have a boy so it's a moot point really.

Runner up names last time were: Grainne (I love but my husband says no), Muireann, Beibhinn (bay-veen), Una, Maeve

So we'll use one of them for this babby unless another irish name takes my fancy.......

I have only ever heard Beibhinn pronounced more like Bevin. Also I would have more often seen it spelled Beibheann.

I think Una and Maeve are gorgeous!

I like Muireann but there's a bit of ambiguity in the pronunciation there, Mwer-inn or Murr-inn, I tend to avoid names like that myself.

Macha is another nice Irish girls name you don't hear too often. I also love Sadbh and Aoibhe.

I have only ever heard Beibhinn pronounced more like Bevin. Also I would have more often seen it spelled Beibheann.

I think Una and Maeve are gorgeous!

I like Muireann but there's a bit of ambiguity in the pronunciation there, Mwer-inn or Murr-inn, I tend to avoid names like that myself.

Macha is another nice Irish girls name you don't hear too often. I also love Sadbh and Aoibhe.

I don't like Bevin at all, only Bay-veen.

It seems to me that these days people just pick the pronounciation they like, pick the irish spelling they like, and slap them together regardless of whether they are correct anyway!

Hence all the children called Ay-veen or Eve-een with it being spelled Aoibheann or Aoibhinn in both cases!
    Or I know 2 Ailbhes - one is pronounced Ale-va the other is pronoucned Al-va. People just pronounce/spell the irish names whatever way suits them :P

Never heard of Macha. Not sure it's my cup of tea though.

I totally agree about Muireann! I would be thinking Mwer-inn myself but it would lead to a lot of confusion alright. But it is a beautiful name

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have a number of names that I love and that I've loved for years but for some reason, in the last month or so of my pregnancy I became really attached to a name I'd never even considered or given any thought to and that ended up being my daughter's name. As soon as she was born, I could not imagine her having any other name. Just one of those 'it felt right' things.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My girl is called Maeve :) she's almost 5 months old and it so suits her. One thing that still amazes me to this day is people's reaction to her name. I suppose it's one of those names that's not quite as common but so far everyone else has loved it too :)

Also love muireann and beibhinn! And tadhg was one of our boys manes too

• Advertisement

ChewChew wrote: »
    My girl is called Maeve :) she's almost 5 months old and it so suits her. One thing that still amazes me to this day is people's reaction to her name. I suppose it's one of those names that's not quite as common but so far everyone else has loved it too :)

Also love muireann and beibhinn! And tadhg was one of our boys manes too

Wow we have identical taste :-)
    I'm only 13 weeks and Hubby started asking me about names the other day I told him I have no idea. I've realised with him that giving a long time for discussion of a name only means he'll probably over-rule it. Better to wait til after childbirth then he won't argue with me! :D:D

What do you mean by the reaction to Maeve? What kind of reaction?

Wow we have identical taste :-)
    I'm only 13 weeks and Hubby started asking me about names the other day I told him I have no idea. I've realised with him that giving a long time for discussion of a name only means he'll probably over-rule it. Better to wait til after childbirth then he won't argue with me! :D:D

What do you mean by the reaction to Maeve? What kind of reaction?

Sounds like you have him well sussed :D

A really good reaction. People love the name and always compliment on how nice it is. It flows really well with her surname. A few people have mentioned how you don't hear that name being used all that much any more and that its nice to hear it. Someone told me they thought it's a lovely, elegant name :D

Sounds like you have him well sussed :D

A really good reaction. People love the name and always compliment on how nice it is. It flows really well with her surname. A few people have mentioned how you don't hear that name being used all that much any more and that its nice to hear it. Someone told me they thought it's a lovely, elegant name :D

Wow!
    I almost called my dd Maeve and I definitely don't get that kind of glowing reaction to what I did call her. I do get some compliments.......but more often I get confusion about how to pronounce it and this is from irish people (it's an irish name and not very common)

At least with the fame of Maeve Binchy you're never going to meet an irish person that can't pronounce Maeve!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Maebh was very popular when I was in school, there were two in our class! So like 30 ish years ago?
    People will probably always be asking you to spell it though cos there's a few different ways. My first thoughts were ' ooh different, I like it' lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Found out we're having a boy-yay!
    But! Naming a boy is so difficult!
    I love love love Jude, hubby hates it.
    He likes eli, i know a few people who've used it already.
    I want a nice, short enough name to go with Ian as a middle name.
    No Irish names or overly American ones though.

It's so hard!

• Advertisement

javagal wrote: »

It's so hard!

Jude, Eli, and Ian ...

Could Julian be a nice compromise/merge of those? I love that name!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I'd call him Caesar. Especially if you end up having a section. What's his name? Caesar-Ian...

Congratulations btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We are at a total loss. Every girl name we both settled on has ended up becoming a nono. Less than three weeks till D-Day and we have no name! :(

Jude, Eli, and Ian ...

Could Julian be a nice compromise/merge of those? I love that name!

It's a beautiful name and one we considered but we really want to use the name Ian as his middle name(after hubbys brother who passed) so it's too much of a mouthful!

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

It's so hard!

I like Irish names so they'll make my list but these names cropped up with friends in the last year and I liked them.... Dougie, Toby, Jamie, Tom, Ollie

My boy is eli and I'm annoyed it's becoming so popular lol! Don't think it goes with Ian, tongue twister!

Aaron, Alex, Conor , Thomas?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We are at a total loss. Every girl name we both settled on has ended up becoming a nono. Less than three weeks till D-Day and we have no name! :(

What names had been shortlisted ... you might get some similar suggestions! :)

My boy is eli and I'm annoyed it's becoming so popular lol! Don't think it goes with Ian, tongue twister!

Aaron, Alex, Conor , Thomas?

Haha my hubby, brothers in law and cousin.
    I have a big family!

I think I'm gonna stick with eli, sure it's getting popular but I liked the name 4 years ago when pregnant on my daughter and I still like it.
    It's not gonna be as popular as Jack/Emily so I can live with it!

Haha my hubby, brothers in law and cousin.
    I have a big family!

I think I'm gonna stick with eli, sure it's getting popular but I liked the name 4 years ago when pregnant on my daughter and I still like it.
    It's not gonna be as popular as Jack/Emily so I can live with it!

Ha that's funy! I think eli is gaining popularity but I don't think it's even top 20 yet so won't be too bad.

My sister wanted jack, but then her sister in law popped before her and named her boy jack, so they had zero names. They had the name book in the hospital for 3 days and finally called him Aaron. We all joke that they just picked the first name in the book lol!

I don't see any problem in using another name in the family. There's an Elizabeth In Every tier of our family. My aunt Anne called her daughter Anna, and I really like the name clodagh which is my sisters name.

Girls names are way easier though!

What names had been shortlisted ... you might get some similar suggestions! :)

We had Katie, Lucy, Ellen and then Willow. I've gone through just about every oldish fashioned girl's name, OH hates them all!

• Advertisement

It's so hard!

Jake?

We had Katie, Lucy, Ellen and then Willow. I've gone through just about every oldish fashioned girl's name, OH hates them all!

As you liked Willow how about Hazel or Ivy? I love both of them!

Or how about Jennifer, Anna, Olivia, Evelyn, Hannah, Alice or Jane?

As you liked Willow how about Hazel or Ivy? I love both of them!

Or how about Jennifer, Anna, Olivia, Evelyn, Hannah, Alice or Jane?

OH said no to Hazel and Ivy ages ago and I love Jennifer and Jane, but hes not pushed at all. The others are all close relatives names and were avoiding that. Hes said no to a total of 64 names now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OH said no to Hazel and Ivy ages ago and I love Jennifer and Jane, but hes not pushed at all. The others are all close relatives names and were avoiding that. Hes said no to a total of 64 names now!

Does he have any suggestions or is he just shooting down your ones?!

Jake?
    Isn't that kind of american? I'm just thinking of Jake and the Fat man :p

toadfly wrote: »
    Does he have any suggestions or is he just shooting down your ones?!

Katie, Ellen and Willow were his suggestions lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Isobel, Beth, Claire, Rachel, Hayley, Eve, Heidi, Alyssa.

Literally going through names of colleagues children at the moment :-)

Digs wrote: »
    Isobel, Beth, Claire, Rachel, Hayley, Eve, Heidi, Alyssa.

Literally going through names of colleagues children at the moment :-)

No to Isobel from me, Beth is his brother's dogs name, Claire is his ex of 6 years, Eve is his best friends daughter, he doesnt like Heidi or Hayley but I do for both and Alyssa is a variant spelling of my own name lol.
    You see my problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Gosh you've your work cut out for you alright!

My husband is gas, he's one or two firm vetos but after that he's easy going, kind of happy to leave it to me :) although he did pick our daughters name.

We've Conor for a boy from last time and will probably go with that if we have a boy. Girl wise I haven't a clue, think they are so much harder than boys!

• Advertisement

Hmm shasha what about Alice? Or Alex, suzanna? Emily?

Advertisement