Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Hmm shasha what about Alice? Or Alex, suzanna? Emily?

Not pushed on Alice, we considered Alexis for a while but I found Abigail and Alexis a bit of a mouthful as noone shortens my daughters name (oddly enough). Theres a ton of Emilys in the family and Id be worried shed get nicknamed Suzie, and I cant stand that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Hmmm how about Georgia, Eliza, Clara, Amelia, Amy, Rose, Julia, Leah, Heather, Sophie?

Hmmm how about Georgia, Eliza, Clara, Amelia, Amy, Rose, Julia, Leah, Heather, Sophie?

I adore Heather but OH hates it. Ive an aunt Rose so thats out and Eliza is too much like my name! Funny most of the names everyone is suggesting were my first ports of call just my OH is super fussy!

Just pick your own favourite and wait until right after the birth to talk him into it, when he's all in awe of you and easily convinced! :D

I know you've considered probably every name already, but I'll throw a few more out there anyways. Vanessa, Harriet, Cora, Louisa, Diana, Victoria, Charlotte, Rebecca, Stella, Lorraine, Yvette, Aideen, Christine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Ok all the women in my family lol
    Elizabeth, Anne, Paula, Sharon, ena, Anna, Niamh, sinead, Kate, Fiona, Catherine, claire, clodagh, lily, Molly. Jennifer, Susan, Laura, Nicola , aoife, Jean, shauna

I really like Clara and Olivia but they are very popular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We had Katie, Lucy, Ellen and then Willow. I've gone through just about every oldish fashioned girl's name, OH hates them all!

Elin is a lovely name, I think it sounds more modern than Ellen (which I love)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I adore Heather but OH hates it. Ive an aunt Rose so thats out and Eliza is too much like my name! Funny most of the names everyone is suggesting were my first ports of call just my OH is super fussy!

What about zoe? It's my girls name. It's a beautiful name and is going to be lovely when she's an adult too

javagal wrote: »
    What about zoe? It's my girls name. It's a beautiful name and is going to be lovely when she's an adult too

No, he's not down with it at all! He loves the old fashioned named which is where we got Abigail from. Been very hard to convince him to take a newer name! I've been trying to work on him for Lilah and Violet for weeks now but he isn't budging :pac:
    He's now seeing the downside to giving two nice names to the same baby, as Paige is my daughter's middle name which he also picked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Ok all the women in my family lol
    Elizabeth, Anne, Paula, Sharon, ena, Anna, Niamh, sinead, Kate, Fiona, Catherine, claire, clodagh, lily, Molly. Jennifer, Susan, Laura, Nicola , aoife, Jean, shauna

I really like Clara and Olivia but they are very popular

Is Clara that popular? I think it's such a beautiful name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

yellow hen wrote: »
    Is Clara that popular? I think it's such a beautiful name.

Maybe not in Ireland yet but definitly in the UK, possibly due to Dr who lol. I love Charlotte also, to be shortened to lottie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I have always loved the name Elsa, but Frozen has ruined that. Before that, it was top of my list if we ever had another girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Xdancer wrote: »
    I have always loved the name Elsa, but Frozen has ruined that. Before that, it was top of my list if we ever had another girl.

Ditto. I had that name since I saw the film born free when I was a child with Elsa the lioness and then Disney effing ruined my plans! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I just love the name Sadie but OH hates it. I think I'm wearing him down but I have Tess, Isla, Elise, Juliette as back ups :)

For boys I like Max, Jude, Hugo again OH thinks they are awful. He likes Tom but my dad, brother and nephew are Thomas! And my DS has Thomas as his middle name!
    I like short names in case you haven't guessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Love2love wrote: »
    I just love the name Sadie but OH hates it. I think I'm wearing him down but I have Tess, Isla, Elise, Juliette as back ups :)

For boys I like Max, Jude, Hugo again OH thinks they are awful. He likes Tom but my dad, brother and nephew are Thomas! And my DS has Thomas as his middle name!

I adore the name Tess, definitely on my list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I'm looking at a 3-wk old Tom here!
    Already people are asking me if we actually registered him as Thomas on his birth certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I went with Tom for mine. What we did was me and my wife made a list with 10 names on it. Any that matched went on the shortlist.
    We ended up with Tom, Harry, Joe and Max. Max was dropped cos we both decided it was more of a dogs name! Morning of the birth we both thought tom was the best. Having relatives with that name wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Lucuma wrote: »
    Isn't that kind of american? I'm just thinking of Jake and the Fat man :p

Ruined 😂😂😂 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The amount of names ruined by some negative association is unreal. Either a movie/tv/someone famous associated with that name, or a person you know in real life with that name who you didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

OH said no to Hazel and Ivy ages ago and I love Jennifer and Jane, but hes not pushed at all. The others are all close relatives names and were avoiding that. Hes said no to a total of 64 names now!

Isn't it funny how things have changed so much in Ireland in just 1 generation. It used to be the irish tradition to keep names within the family. On both my mother and father's side everyone is named after an aunt or a grandparent or even a parent and now just because a name is anywhere in the family, that's a reason to not use it! Weird how tradition could do such a 180 in such a short space of time.

Shasha I was literally lying awake last night trying to think of names for your baby haha! (Note am pregnant so lie awake most of most nights anyway so it was passing the time for me) but most of what I thought up has already been suggested here in the meantime! I had come up with Abigail and Charlotte among others. What about Rose or Rosaleen or variants thereof?

I wouldn't consider Violet modern!!

Shasha I was literally lying awake last night trying to think of names for your baby haha! (Note am pregnant so lie awake most of most nights anyway so it was passing the time for me) but most of what I thought up has already been suggested here in the meantime! I had come up with Abigail and Charlotte among others. What about Rose or Rosaleen or variants thereof?

I wouldn't consider Violet modern!!

I think she already has an Abigail!

I absolutely adore Violet. Couldn't use it myself though, as my dad would pronounce it Voy-let. :(

Maybe ShaSha's baby might end up being a boy after all ... who knows ... might solve the problem (or create a whole new one! :D )

How about Caitlin or some variation of it? Grace, Robyn, Esme, Isabelle/Isobel, Davinia, Valerie, Jade, Imogen, Philippa (Pippa), Clarissa, Eleanor, Faith, Gretta?

I can't wait to hear what this baby ends up being called! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I absolutely adore Violet. Couldn't use it myself though, as my dad would pronounce it Voy-let. :(

Maybe ShaSha's baby might end up being a boy after all ... who knows ... might solve the problem (or create a whole new one! :D )

Sure leave him off! I wouldn't let how my Dad would pronounce a name stop me from using it. I think people's accents are endearing/fascinating, if we all said everything the same (i.e. american accent) how boring would that be!

Plus you'd be surprised how grandparents can be whipped into shape re how to pronounce names.

I thought ShaSha had a boy for some reason, I remember detailed discussions about his name the last time around !

Well in fairness I thought William would be fairly easy to pronounce, but he gets calls "Willum" by my dad! :o Doesn't really bother me though!

Sure leave him off! I wouldn't let how my Dad would pronounce a name stop me from using it. I think people's accents are endearing/fascinating, if we all said everything the same (i.e. american accent) how boring would that be!

Plus you'd be surprised how grandparents can be whipped into shape re how to pronounce names.

I thought ShaSha had a boy for some reason, I remember detailed discussions about his name the last time around !

Nope, little girl called Abigail :pac:
    Boy's name for future is set in stone as Elliot, which is why we had to negate on Ellen. OH didn't think when he picked it :o So a surprise boy popping out would indeed solve all of our problems :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

How about Caitlin or some variation of it? Grace, Robyn, Esme, Isabelle/Isobel, Davinia, Valerie, Jade, Imogen, Philippa (Pippa), Clarissa, Eleanor, Faith, Gretta?

I can't wait to hear what this baby ends up being called! :D

Bruce Jenner/ Caitlin Jenner --- could never go near the name as a result.

Violet is a lovely name but my mother insists on over pronouning every syllable in that name so it would become Vi Oy Let. That drives me bananas.

The other names you've mentioned - Grace, Robyn, Isabelle and Pippa are lovely, so is Eleanor / Ellie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I love the name Sadie too and if this little bean is a girl its my number 1 choice. If its a boy I love William/ Will but dislike any other version of it.

I really like Toby or Danny too. In fact Danny is my favourite for a boy. I've always found it harder to settle on a boys name.

Bruce Jenner/ Caitlin Jenner --- could never go near the name as a result.

Violet is a lovely name but my mother insists on over pronouning every syllable in that name so it would become Vi Oy Let. That drives me bananas.

The other names you've mentioned - Grace, Robyn, Isabelle and Pippa are lovely, so is Eleanor / Ellie.

I love Grace, Robyn, Pippa and Eleanor. Unfortunately Robyn just sounds awful with the surname and OH doesn't like Pippa or Grace. My best friend's daughter is Eleanor (Ellie for short) but it was meant to be the middle name for Lucy when we were fixed on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I'm swaying towards Alfie or Conor for a boy and only have Mollie for a girl but I would love Ellie or Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We had a big list of girls names and as soon as she was born we decided that she would be Eugenie, but called Genie for short. It's quite unusual but there's Eugenes on both sides of the family and then I since found out that there was a cousin Eugenie way back in my Mothers family. I much prefer the female variant of the name to the male too. It really suits her too!

The other names we had in mind were

Hannah
    Olivia/Liv
    Alison
    Eleanor
    Evie/Eve
    Florence
    Violet
    Genavieve
    Vivienne
    Rose
    Edie
    Annalise
    Nell
    Tilly/Matilda
    Mara

Genie is very pretty. :) Actually I love a lot of those names, especially Matilda. Not keen at all on Nell, I must say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'd be worried that if I had a girl called Nell and she went through my really fat teenage phase she would end up Nelly the Elephant or Smelly Nelly or something.

Really struggling with boy names and 9 weeks to go. Just don't love any.
    Thinking maybe Leo/Aidan but don't think hubby likes those or any others!!

Advertisement